• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heart story.

I was the dumbass who thought he was having an anxiety attack and went to Patient First (Urgent Care). Last year, two Wednesday mornings in a row I had what I assumed was an anxiety attack. Both days I was in a good mood, unstressed, and feeling good.Then my heart just starts racing. It did not hurt, but it beats so hard and fast it’s hard to ignore. Also having a heart monitor on my wrist that showed it was getting close to 200 bpm so that made me nervous. The first week it lasted almost 2 hours. The second week after an hour and a half I went to Patient First thinking they would give me a sedative.

Bad idea. They think I am having some kind of major heart event and the doctor tells me to remain calm while his team gets to work. Then they call an ambulance to be on standby. They get a syringe full of stuff and explain they are going to inject me with something then immediately flush it from my system. They also bring in some kind of recording device and start it right as they give me the shot. They give me the injection and squeeze an IV bag into me. I feel a pressure in my chest for 10-15 seconds. Not pleasant. They start talking to me like I was a child so I know it’s not good. The doctor says I need another one then I have to go to the ER. I’m terrified at this point. They give me the other shot and the pressure is worse and last longer.

By the time the pressure subsides the paramedics are there and they insist on wheeling me out. Thankfully one of them who was kind of cute and very goofy*. First she whispered asking what the hell I was thinking going to a Patient First for a heart issue. Then when we were in the ambulance she laughed and asked what the injection felt like. I couldn’t explain. She asked if it felt like my heart stopped – because that’s what they were doing. She seemed to enjoy telling me that my heart may have been stopped for 15 seconds to a minute each time. The idea being that they stop it, then when it restarts hopefully it starts normally. I ask what if it didn’t restart and she smiled and answered “paddles of life”. I guess I looked terrified and she explained that my BP was normal the whole time so they were ‘pretty sure’ it would start again.

After 6 hours at the ER I check out fine but they want me to see a cardiologist. I was scared when they told me they could fit me in the next morning thinking they were fitting me in before it was too late. I met with the cardiologist and he told me right away that from looking at the EKGs they did he could tell I was fine. He told me I have an arrhythmia that might occur from time to time for no reason at all. I asked what I should do, and he said to ride it out. That someone my age having that heart rate for a couple hours is no big deal. Then he told me Patient First should have known better and never done the heart restart thing.

Since then I have taken more pleasure out of life. Stopping to smell the flowers, enjoying a beautiful sunset, trying to enjoy an older woman in a prono whereas before I would have looked passed her to the younger more attractive woman. I am a changed man.

*meant in a wonderful way, I was terrified and she reassured and distracted me.

I had a heart transplant in 2009. Know all about this stuff. Happy to answer any questions you have going forward. Good luck.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heart story.

I was the dumbass who thought he was having an anxiety attack and went to Patient First (Urgent Care). Last year, two Wednesday mornings in a row I had what I assumed was an anxiety attack. Both days I was in a good mood, unstressed, and feeling good.Then my heart just starts racing. It did not hurt, but it beats so hard and fast it’s hard to ignore. Also having a heart monitor on my wrist that showed it was getting close to 200 bpm so that made me nervous. The first week it lasted almost 2 hours. The second week after an hour and a half I went to Patient First thinking they would give me a sedative.

Bad idea. They think I am having some kind of major heart event and the doctor tells me to remain calm while his team gets to work. Then they call an ambulance to be on standby. They get a syringe full of stuff and explain they are going to inject me with something then immediately flush it from my system. They also bring in some kind of recording device and start it right as they give me the shot. They give me the injection and squeeze an IV bag into me. I feel a pressure in my chest for 10-15 seconds. Not pleasant. They start talking to me like I was a child so I know it’s not good. The doctor says I need another one then I have to go to the ER. I’m terrified at this point. They give me the other shot and the pressure is worse and last longer.

By the time the pressure subsides the paramedics are there and they insist on wheeling me out. Thankfully one of them who was kind of cute and very goofy*. First she whispered asking what the hell I was thinking going to a Patient First for a heart issue. Then when we were in the ambulance she laughed and asked what the injection felt like. I couldn’t explain. She asked if it felt like my heart stopped – because that’s what they were doing. She seemed to enjoy telling me that my heart may have been stopped for 15 seconds to a minute each time. The idea being that they stop it, then when it restarts hopefully it starts normally. I ask what if it didn’t restart and she smiled and answered “paddles of life”. I guess I looked terrified and she explained that my BP was normal the whole time so they were ‘pretty sure’ it would start again.

After 6 hours at the ER I check out fine but they want me to see a cardiologist. I was scared when they told me they could fit me in the next morning thinking they were fitting me in before it was too late. I met with the cardiologist and he told me right away that from looking at the EKGs they did he could tell I was fine. He told me I have an arrhythmia that might occur from time to time for no reason at all. I asked what I should do, and he said to ride it out. That someone my age having that heart rate for a couple hours is no big deal. Then he told me Patient First should have known better and never done the heart restart thing.

Since then I have taken more pleasure out of life. Stopping to smell the flowers, enjoying a beautiful sunset, trying to enjoy an older woman in a prono whereas before I would have looked passed her to the younger more attractive woman. I am a changed man.

*meant in a wonderful way, I was terrified and she reassured and distracted me.
That second paragraph gave me anxiety, but glad you're all good.

Let me know if you're ever in the mood for some Arby's.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everyone join hands and sing:

Glad you're okay!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That second paragraph gave me anxiety, but glad you're all good.

Let me know if you're ever in the mood for some Arby's.
Thanks.
The "just to be sure" ultrasound and stress test showed everything was OK. I got a little bit uncomfortable when he explained it fully. About 5-8% of people have an extra piece of flesh in their heart that occasionally starts sending electrical impulses.
The real moral of the story is for anything possibly being heart related - go to an ER. I am/was fine and the most danger I was in was from the unnecessary injections.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald J. Trump‏@realDonaldTrump
Why is that Hillary Clintons family and Dems dealings with Russia are not looked at, but my non-dealings are?

Donald J. Trump‏@realDonaldTrump
Crooked H destroyed phones w/ hammer, 'bleached' emails, & had husband meet w/AG days before she was cleared- & they talk about obstruction?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.
The "just to be sure" ultrasound and stress test showed everything was OK. I got a little bit uncomfortable when he explained it fully. About 5-8% of people have an extra piece of flesh in their heart that occasionally starts sending electrical impulses.
The real moral of the story is for anything possibly being heart related - go to an ER. I am/was fine and the most danger I was in was from the unnecessary injections.

I get episodes of arrhythmia too. Except I get a LOT of dropped beats instead of racing heart. Happens every few years. This week has been one of those episodes.

Scared the shit out of me the first time it happened. Still unpleasant but now I know I just need to ride it out.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in fear and I am apparently miserable too. Sucks to be me.

YOU LIVE IN FEAR!!! calm your jets and apply for a job in the burgeoning coal industry!!!

no gallbladder ... heart issues ... last thing you need is black lung comeds ... i now strongly urge you stay at your dishwashing position :thumb:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get episodes of arrhythmia too. Except I get a LOT of dropped beats instead of racing heart. Happens every few years. This week has been one of those episodes.

Scared the shit out of me the first time it happened. Still unpleasant but now I know I just need to ride it out.

Could be anxiety. Could be something deadly. Best to get checked out.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.
The "just to be sure" ultrasound and stress test.
Did you run on the treadmill or get administered a Dobutamine injection for the stress test?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I probably had it happen 10-15 times in my life. Not so scary when you are 15, but when you are in your 40s....

Good luck!

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be anxiety. Could be something deadly. Best to get checked out.

I have been checked out. They have no explanation for it so far and it always just goes away after a week or so. Weirdly it seems to happen when I'm training a bit harder or more regularly. As I get in better shape my heart seems to take a week to adjust and then just calms down. Really strange.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been checked out. They have no explanation for it so far and it always just goes away after a week or so. Weirdly it seems to happen when I'm training a bit harder or more regularly. As I get in better shape my heart seems to take a week to adjust and then just calms down. Really strange.

That is interesting. Maybe its diet related, like a mild food allergy.

Or supplement related? Do you take anything like ephedrine when training?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well shit. Good luck.

What kind of training do you do?

I just try to get in shape. Lately I've been doing mixed cardio/strength to lose fat and get leaner. Lean more towards weight training and spend a lot of time on the big 3 lifts. That and stuff that will help me with hockey and golf. So core and leg focus.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just try to get in shape. Lately I've been doing mixed cardio/strength to lose fat and get leaner. Lean more towards weight training and spend a lot of time on the big 3 lifts. That and stuff that will help me with hockey and golf. So core and leg focus.

Nice. I'm a gym rat myself. Stick to the big 3 myself along with overhead presses and cleans.

A good diet, if you can handle it is to eat nothing before 1pm and nothing after 10pm. Gets some getting user to but it burns fat like crazy.

M-F I eat mostly potatoes (throw em in the microwave for 5 minutes wrapped in a damp paper towel), medallion sized chicken breast pieces (pre grilled), eggs, and baked cod w broccoli. I'll then chow burgers or pizza on the weekends.

The http://www.sportshoop.la/threads/working-out-sucks.171356/page-74 thread has a good group of guys who talk about this stuff a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.