• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seattle @ Detroit - Week 4

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol fair enough. I'm just so tired of hearing about 'diversity' and racial injustice (when there is none lol) in the NFL I want to mock it any chance I get.

To your other point, I agree we don't have an effective pass rush, and what I was trying to say was just start Mafe and see if there's something there? Taylor doesn't appear to be the answer, our DL is not working with this wide 9 scheme (least we didn't do much of that yesterday), so let's try something different? I would not be surprised if Seattle spends their first pick next year on DL instead of QB at this point lol.

We are getting no interior pressure. Which makes the external pass rushers job much tougher. Those tackles are also not doing their job in run defense.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are getting no interior pressure. Which makes the external pass rushers job much tougher. Those tackles are also not doing their job in run defense.

Well Ford and Jefferson were getting pretty decent good double team ratings...

Eh I dunno mah dude, the whole front 7 is a mess. My point is just start Mafe who IMO is developing faster than expected.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Ford and Jefferson were getting pretty decent good double team ratings...

Eh I dunno mah dude, the whole front 7 is a mess. My point is just start Mafe who IMO is developing faster than expected.

He has shown some upside. But I'm not sure he's ready to do other things than rush the passer.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has shown some upside. But I'm not sure he's ready to do other things than rush the passer.

Well let's find out... why not? I'm still of the opinion we're not going playoffs this year... but regardless, Taylor looks like shit, so just march him out there and let's see if there's anything there. I don't want to screw with his confidence, so make sure you pull him aside and set expectations.... but he was a near 1st round pick.. let's go.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire front 7 is a mess right now... Mafe is probably playing the best right now out of all of them... The one guy that is horrible (I'm surprised no one is talkinga bout him) is C. Barton... He seems to always be out of position and does not tackle that well... I think they said yesterday that he leads the team with missed tackles... The one play along the sidelines where Hockinson runs right by him should've put him on the bench asap... You CAN'T let those kind of lackluster attempt at a tackle happen in the NFL... Resulted in a 55 yard catch and run because of that...

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well let's find out... why not? I'm still of the opinion we're not going playoffs this year... but regardless, Taylor looks like shit, so just march him out there and let's see if there's anything there. I don't want to screw with his confidence, so make sure you pull him aside and set expectations.... but he was a near 1st round pick.. let's go.
With Taylor's high level of play last year, it appears to me that he has been hurt the most by the switch in the base D scheme. He seems to be stuck in his own head when playing.
Sadly to say, if Taylor just cannot play either DE or OLB in this 3-4 hybrid scheme, if he is suited moreso as a 4-3 DE/LEO only, then we should probably trade him asap.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire front 7 is a mess right now... Mafe is probably playing the best right now out of all of them... The one guy that is horrible (I'm surprised no one is talkinga bout him) is C. Barton... He seems to always be out of position and does not tackle that well... I think they said yesterday that he leads the team with missed tackles... The one play along the sidelines where Hockinson runs right by him should've put him on the bench asap... You CAN'T let those kind of lackluster attempt at a tackle happen in the NFL... Resulted in a 55 yard catch and run because of that...
We've heard the talk about Barton moving into a starting role for a few years now, but I have seen very little on the field to indicate he is capable of it. Sure he has his moments but it always seems that he struggles as much as succeeds. (I've been saying this for some time now).

I think Barton is a back up/ST guy. A starter will need to be found to step into his position next year.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1664815164986.png

Serious question... Would our record be better right now if we had Wilson as our QB over Geno? Outside one game, Geno has been very efficient at running this offense the way Waldon wants it run... Difference in this offense vs when RW ran it was is our 3rd downs were very manageable... Seems like we always had 3rd and 4 or less... We converted 75% of our 3rd downs... I'm not saying that Geno is better than RW by any means but running this offense - he looks to be a better fit for it than RW was...

Also, RW is on pace to getting sacked 10.99 per pass attempt... For his career, he's been sacked 11.07 per pass attempt... Interesting stat line to me because I was always shocked when our OL was always the ones blamed for the sacks, specifically RW's.......

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Taylor's high level of play last year, it appears to me that he has been hurt the most by the switch in the base D scheme. He seems to be stuck in his own head when playing.
Sadly to say, if Taylor just cannot play either DE or OLB in this 3-4 hybrid scheme, if he is suited moreso as a 4-3 DE/LEO only, then we should probably trade him asap.

We might have got something for him prior to the start of the season, we're getting a 7th rounder now. I mean ya just have to hope he adapts and picks things up.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might have got something for him prior to the start of the season, we're getting a 7th rounder now. I mean ya just have to hope he adapts and picks things up.

It’s ridiculous to talk about getting rid of anyone after 4 games especially given this is a rebuilding year.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s ridiculous to talk about getting rid of anyone after 4 games especially given this is a rebuilding year.

Oh 100% agreed, I didn't suggest trading him, neither did Jake (gave a hypothetical). Calm down there, tiger...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol fair enough. I'm just so tired of hearing about 'diversity' and racial injustice (when there is none lol) in the NFL I want to mock it any chance I get.

To your other point, I agree we don't have an effective pass rush, and what I was trying to say was just start Mafe and see if there's something there? Taylor doesn't appear to be the answer, our DL is not working with this wide 9 scheme (least we didn't do much of that yesterday), so let's try something different? I would not be surprised if Seattle spends their first pick next year on DL instead of QB at this point lol.
I never liked the wide 9 scheme. Jim Swartz ran it in Philly was a total disaster. Back to basics with Rich Gannon and their defense has looked better. Hopefully something clicks in Clints head to go back to the 4-3 scheme.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno on pace for around 26 for the season. Guess our Rookie edge Oline is WAY better than Denver's line...

I think most of us knew that close to 50% of the Sacks on Wilson were his fault.
IMO the thing that holds Russell Wilson back the most is that instead of taking an easy, short reception, he holds on to the ball, waits for something to develop downfield and in the process either hangs on to the ball too long, or tries to spin out of it and takes a bad sack. A pass block "win" is considered when an offensive lineman blocks the pass rusher for 2.5 seconds. Russ could have the best offensive line in the NFL and still take a lot of sacks, especially as his elusiveness diminishes with age.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh it's driving me nuts my dude. I said numerous times that a lot of the sacks Wilson has are on Wilson. When you have an all pro left tackle visibly yelling at you on the field, there's more than just PFF/ESPN stats. And sure enough, I've watched a number of videos from YouTube and read articles from ESPN/PFF where there's question marks all over the place about the ability of Denver's OL and whether they are allowing too much pressure. Ya know what? I was wrong. I said that I wasn't expecting those articles until midseason... turns out they came in week 3.

I don't think Wilson played bad against the Raiders... but as of now Seattle is the clear cut winners of the trade (even though our defense sucks ass). It was veeeeeeeery clear to me Wilson wanted nothing to do with Waldron's system last year and abandoned it numerous times with his "hold onto the ball forever and chuck it deep" mentality.

Anyway - onto next week which we should begin with firing Clint "the derp" Hurtt...
Kind of just repeating the other post I just submitted, but many of the sacks Wilson takes are self imposed. Instead of trying to take the easy short completion, he holds on to the ball waiting for things to develop downfield, then tries to spin out of the pocket or holds on to the ball too long and takes a sack. Not sure if it's his height that's a limitation seeing those short to intermediate routes, but this trait is what holds him back.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
especially as his elusiveness diminishes with age.

With Fat.

Wilson from the side is wider than he is from the front, the boy needs to get off that stupid Diet he is on the one that he says helps him heal and keeps him healthy ( 10 meals a fooking day! )

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a catch. Good effort Kittle, but nope.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penny has been big time consistent ( when he gets his touches )
151 Rushing yards gained by Rashaad Penny, his fifth time gaining at least 135 yards in his last nine games.
5 Rushing touchdowns 30 or more yards for Penny dating back to last season. No other NFL player has more than two dating back to the start of last season. To illustrate how rare Penny's big-play ability is, if you take it back to 2019, capturing two more long TD runs, Penny has seven touchdowns of 30 plus yards, trailing only Derrick Henry, who has eight TDs of 30 or more yards over that span. One big difference though? Henry has 976 carries since 2019, while Penny has just 244.

Just saw this and had to share it :P

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting

"The Seahawks' Pass Block Win Rate of 81.5% in their win over Detroit was best of any team in Week 4 -- and Seattle's best in any regular-season or playoff game since ESPN began tracking PBWR in 2017. Seattle allowed no sacks and only three official QB hits on Geno Smith. "They just did a really solid job," Pete Carroll said. "If we were giving out a game ball, I’d give it to the O-line." Seattle is now ninth in PBWR."

We knew Pass Blocking was the strength of this young line because that's what the Rookie Tackles did best. Seems to still hold water.

Geno was only hit THREE FREAKING TIMES during the game. How you like us now Russell Wilson?

Russell Wilson "I'm getting hit to much"

NFC West Standing
everyone 2-2

Who saw the Seahawks as the 11th best offensive team in the NFL after 4 games? I sure as hell didn't! Thanks Detroit!

Last edited:

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Fat.

Wilson from the side is wider than he is from the front, the boy needs to get off that stupid Diet he is on the one that he says helps him heal and keeps him healthy ( 10 meals a fooking day! )

Personally I think he is just getting older there is no way you can expect a man to be as athletic at age 34 as he was at 24. Especially after 10 years being in the league getting hit and recovering from injury.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the game (just spotty coverage on RZ) and have only watched 1 full game (week 1 in primetime) since I no longer live in the PNW, so my mildly valuable takeaways:
  • Good to see Geno putting up strong numbers, but a couple things: 1) the offense has only looked capable against lesser teams and got shut out for 6 straight quarters, and 2) Geno still has yet to come through in a do or die type situation. When he doesn't blow it with the game on the line like he has virtually every time so far in a Hawks uni *and* does well against something better than the Falcons & Lions of the league then I'll be more impressed. There's a reason he went 8 years w/o being named a week 1 starter.
  • Good to see Penny make some noise in the box score. His 2 explosive TDs were difference makers.
  • The D appears to be challenged to stop a pack of angry girl scouts (or is it "they" scouts now??). Even still, maybe we have something special in Tariq Woolen? Does anyone else look good on defense? I long for the days when we complained about Kris Richard's defenses.
We caught the Lions at a great time with all those injuries to key offensive players (and they still went right through our D), but I still think it will be tough to get more than 6 wins. We have 5 more div games, and I can't see winning more than 2 of those (split with Rams & Cards?). That would get us to 4. The most winnable non-div games are probably all at home: Giants, Raiders, Panthers, Jets. Can we really expect to win 3 of those 4?? Hard to imagine we would with such a porous defense.