• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks To "Close The Barn Door Two Years After The Cow Got Out"...

Eugene Baker III

"Oh a stitch in time, just about saved me..."
Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks 'to school' Russell Wilson on NFL defenses

Damn. Kind of obvious. Why do they announce this stuff?

Pete Carroll wants to ensure the growth continues for his Pro Bowl quarterback, so will test Wilson on defense this offseason.
"Russell and I talked about this last night," Carroll said this week, via ESPN.com. "I think this is really the right time to really turn his focus and broaden his awareness of what is going on in the game overall. And so he and I will spend a lot of time this offseason introducing him to the perspective of what it's like to look at the defense from the defensive side of the ball. I want him to learn and understand what is going on schematically, rotation-wise, fits-wise even more than he knows now."
Carroll said the plan is for safety Earl Thomas to do the inverse and study offense more this offseason.
"We are going to school, and it will be a tremendous offseason for those guys," Carroll said. "And they are ready for that."
Wilson noted Monday that he needs improve the mental part of his game.
"I think the first step is the knowledge," Wilson said Monday. "You want to continue to grow intellectually and master that part of it. Continue to work on that craft. I think that when you really mentally grasp the game of football, the game really, really slows down. And that's what was able to happen this year especially."
When compared to future Hall of Famers like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, Wilson knows he can make improvements in pre-snap reads and understanding what defenses are trying to disguise.

Added Carroll: "There's a difference in looking at it for what the offense needs to know and from what the defense is doing. I want them to understand the other side in even greater depth. ... You can only take in so much. We wouldn't want to water down the process by trying to do too much, but I think it's time now."
When the Seahawks get done with their summer schooling, they could be even more dangerous, which is a petrifying thought for the rest of the NFL.

"We're still young. We're still really, really young," Wilson said. "That's a scary thing."

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah because RW has just been so awful these first 4 years.

This is just him taking the next step. He's going to get even better and I'm sure lots of teams won't like that.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do they announce this stuff? Um, their season is over? :noidea:
You don't get fluff and stupid non stories from the media on your teams when there isn't much else to write about?

Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do they announce this stuff? Um, their season is over? :noidea:
You don't get fluff and stupid non stories from the media on your teams when there isn't much else to write about?

So the author is reporting water is wet?

If my last name was Carroll, I would be embarrassed.

Am I missing something?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why tell the Media that Petey Boy has not coached Russell enough?

Seems like you've started at your conclusion and worked backwards.

I'd use Ben Roethlesberger as an example. His first year or two, he didn't even read the whole field. They slowly kept introducing stuff to him, and eventually he was one of the league's best.

Did they 'undercoach' him as a rookie or sophmore pro?

Meh.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd use Ben Roethlesberger as an example. His first year or two, he didn't even read the whole field. They slowly kept introducing stuff to him, and eventually he was one of the league's best.

Meh.

This is standard development. You don't just pile everything on a QBs plate at the beginning and hope that he can keep up.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is the defenition of a reach for criticism. Getting the most out of your players now while continuously developing them for the future is good coaching.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Who knows? There was a time when every single word an NFL guy uttered wasn't parsed by armies of fans & media types. Wilson was the highest-rated passer in the league this year, and he already has a SB victory & a bunch of postseason wins. He's a great QB and might end up in the HOF one day.

Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh.

I would never tell the media that. "Russell improves every year..." would be how I would discuss this stuff.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who said that?

Just because they want to expand his "studies" now, that doesn't mean that they haven't done enough to this point. Looking at the proof in the pudding, they've done more than enough with regards to his development.

Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said that?

Just because they want to expand his "studies" now, that doesn't mean that they haven't done enough to this point. Looking at the proof in the pudding, they've done more than enough with regards to his development.

Implying one should read between the lines "Russell has not picked up on it..." or "He should know by now....".

No way I let that message get out.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Implying one should read between the lines "Russell has not picked up on it..." or "He should know by now....".

Only someone that really doesn't know much about Wilson, the Seahawks or the reality of QB development would reach that conclusion between those lines.

Carroll (or anybody for that matter) shouldn't kowtow in fear that the lowest demonator will reach way too hard to find something that isn't there. But that's the world we live in :noidea:.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he was a party-boy like Johnny Football, then I guess I could see your point. But from day 1 of his rookie season, he was living in the film room. His work habits aren't questionable.

How many other QB's you know who study defense from the DEFENSE's pov?

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're starting a team for the future, and you don't take Russell Wilson as your QB, I'd have to say that you made the wrong decision.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not seeing why this thread is viable in any way. So they are going to keep working with him in the off season and they want to go deeper with both Thomas and Wilson into what the other side of the ball does and why. Yeah? And? This is a bad thing to tell the public because why? :scratch:

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big time O.P. fail. Christ! We have a Niners fan endorsing both Wilson and Carroll. Next at news at 11, cats and dogs getting along........