• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Screw Bill Walton

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Walton, is and always has been a self-absorbed haughty asshole.

Nobody cared what he thought in the 60's and no one cares what he thinks now. He knows that which is why he keeps saying increasingly outrageous things to get a moment of attention.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walton was never the sharpest tool in the shed or the most gifted athlete.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can get on board with the thoughts mj had average size and maybe even strength. However athleticism and jumping ability? Come on. Even strength is a stretch, the last 2 are laughable

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For making me agree with Doug Gottlieb.

I was watching the usc Oregon game yesterday when he said that. He was having a conversation with the play by play guy about who the best offensive player he ever saw was. Play by play guy said MJ and Bill said Kareem and then Bill went on to say that quote about MJ. I'm not sure Bill is all there in the head at times but he wasn't throwing MJ under the buss. That quote was taken out of context.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This gave me a lot of LOL's.

First Gottleib calling something a fire able offense. That dude shouldn't have a job to critique this already.

He did make me chuckle with the smoking pot bit.

But this is one of those shitty situations. Both Walton and Gottleib are clowns so sadly you are bound to side with one of them once in a while. A game called by Walton(thank god it's mostly Pac 12 trash games) is just horrid. Dear lord give me the gun level bad.

Throw in Stephen A and Skip and we could have ourselves quite the comedy segment assuming the topics are juicy enough.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This gave me a lot of LOL's.

First Gottleib calling something a fire able offense. That dude shouldn't have a job to critique this already.

He did make me chuckle with the smoking pot bit.

But this is one of those shitty situations. Both Walton and Gottleib are clowns so sadly you are bound to side with one of them once in a while. A game called by Walton(thank god it's mostly Pac 12 trash games) is just horrid. Dear lord give me the gun level bad.

Throw in Stephen A and Skip and we could have ourselves quite the comedy segment assuming the topics are juicy enough.

Who can ever forget Bill Walton after Detlef hit the 3 saying "Yeaaaaah! Stroke it out, Big Fella!" :L

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching the usc Oregon game yesterday when he said that. He was having a conversation with the play by play guy about who the best offensive player he ever saw was. Play by play guy said MJ and Bill said Kareem and then Bill went on to say that quote about MJ. I'm not sure Bill is all there in the head at times but he wasn't throwing MJ under the buss. That quote was taken out of context.

There is no context in which you can suggest that MJ was an average athlete in terms of speed or jumping ability, and not be considered pants-on-head, windows-licking stupid.

Yeah, he wasn't particularly large for an NBA guard (though above average for college I think) and he may not have been Hercules, but at least half of that comment was complete horse shit... in any context.

I've never liked Walton and his "Everyone who I played with was better than everyone else since" shtick that he's done for decades now, but this was particularly egregious.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this last night and (while changing he channel), the Chicagoan in me just about lost it. An actual quote was, "There are no statistics saying Jordan was the best ever."

Oh, really? PER is not a statistic? Or PPG?

Yeah, fuck him.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this last night and (while changing he channel), the Chicagoan in me just about lost it. An actual quote was, "There are no statistics saying Jordan was the best ever."

Oh, really? PER is not a statistic? Or PPG?

Yeah, fuck him.

In which case, there's no case whatsoever to be made for Kareem being the GOAT! Walton is a fool and an asshole.

And I bet Kareem just shakes his damn head when he hears Big Mouth... errr I mean Big Red naming him the GOAT. When they played together Walton was OBSESSED with badmouthing Kareem. Remember the reporter asking Kareem what he thought of Walton's latest jab and Kareem came back with "Yeah, what else does Dr. Scholls have to say?" :pound:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Average"…

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd call him a fucking assclown, but I don't want DarrellGreenFan stalking me for a week. :L

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What everyone in the universe says (not named Bill Russell or Bill Walton).

I think MJ is the best but I'm certainly willing to listen to people make a case for a few others. Walton just did a crappy job of it, and basically called MJ an average athlete which is just stupid.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a fan of AZ and watching a lot of P12 games, it seems I can't get away from this guy. The majority of AZ fans I talk to despise the guy calling our games. There is even a petition circulating online to have him banned specifically from calling AZ games. I think it's mostly because he spends all of our games talking about past UCLA greatness. But, some fans really like him because he doesn't just make it all about basketball.

My problem with him announcing is that there are supposed to be two announcers, the play by play guy, and the color commentator, right? The play by play guy is the one who calls the game, and keeps things going. The color guy is generally the one who played and/or coached and knows the game, and colors the broadcast with their knowledge of the game. Their job is to give us the Xs and Os, and talk about the game to better inform the fans.

Right?

Well where does that put Walton. As far as I can tell, he tries to do both which means two things:

1) he doesn't accomplish either. He seems to half-ass PBP and color.
2) he marginalized whoever else does the broadcast with him (usually Pasch on ESPN)

I never played basketball. After watching it for 25 years, I have a good sense, but there are certainly things (usually on the Xs and Os side) that I'd really like to know, and usually it pertains to the team playing (AZ). I hardly ever learn anything from Walton. His analysis of basketball is usually very surface level or subjective. He usually just spouts out his opinion on anything instead of actually providing in-depth analysis of defenses, offensive plays, and how coaches adjust to opposing strategies.

My favorite color guy was Coach Knight. He would always break some shit down, draw on the monitor, rewind, pause, and explain. It felt like I was in a film session, and I loved it. I learned a lot from him. Even color guys that are really big personalities like Vitale and Raftery (to a lesser extent) break the game down more than Walton. I really don't like Raftery, but that is a different topic.

My point is that his job is to explain the game to the viewership. I don't watch the game of basketball to learn about the ecology of the desert, or to hear about a concert in 1973 in SF. I want to know why AZ has a tough time breaking OSU's press, and why that press is so good against AZ, or how the offense for AZ is set up, and what ways McConnell does a good job facilitating it, and what he can do to improve. THings like that. Or shit, just talk about the game being played, I don't care who is playing.

Going off about your opinion of MJ, or a bunch of players who have long retired, or winning a title in Boston, or whatever, had better have some relevance to the game being played, or I don't want to hear about it. In fact, he is actively wasting time not talking about the game. There are like 3 minute spurts during live play where he feels the need to talk about riding his bike, and absolutely nothing is spoken about the play on the court. Not one fucking word. How the fuck does that fly?

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walton "owned" the "Chocolate Thunder" and the rest of those touted 76s...Blazers lost the first two, sized em up and swept the floor up in the next four games...DOMINATED.