• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scout's Take - Giants vs. 49ers, Manning vs. Smith

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isnt a chance in hell Kap is the starter next year. Its going to be Alex or another established free agent vet. This team is going to be super bowl bound in a year or two.

Prime looked pretty good in the offseason. I'm actually not too concerned if something were to happen that would force Prime into the game..

**knock on wood**

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prime looked pretty good in the offseason. I'm actually not too concerned if something were to happen that would force Prime into the game..

**knock on wood**

Agree, though I won't call him Prime until he succeeds in the NFL, which is hopefully within the next three years (or not, if we have someone better). I say other than handing off the ball he looked good in the Tampa game. I know everyone looked good in the Tampa game, but still.

My priorities would be for next season (in hopes):

1. Veteran starts that is better than Alex or Kaep.
2. Alex starts because he showed something in the playoffs.
3. Kaep starts because he's ready and progressing.
4. Alex starts because he's currently better than Kaep/Vet at the time.
5. Kaep starts because he's better than a regressed Alex.

Now, before you say "no shit, Sherlock", there were a few people who said they wanted Alex gone no matter what this year* (impliedly next year, too) and some saying that for sure they wanted him gone next year. I'm keeping my mind open and hoping (but not expecting) for the best.

* Their expectancy of Alex's ceiling was lower than he's playing now.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex Smith is a safe quarterback who rarely is asked to make something happen on the field. Since being tossed against Philly last year and nearly being benched for David Carr, the man has thrown 20 touchdowns to only 3 interceptions. But he's also only thrown for 200 yards or more just five times. Manning is an unsafe quarterback who is the key to his offense. In the same timespan he's had four games of 3 interceptions or more, but he's thrown over 200 yards in all but 4 games. Truthfully, the way each player is playing RIGHT NOW, I'd take Alex for the 49ers. The 49ers run a complex RUNNING scheme with odd formations and creative run formation design. And in a WCO you want a safe high-percentage quarterback who takes what the defense gives him.

If I were starting from scratch, however, I'd take Manning without question.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thought this kind of bears on the Alex-Eli conversation. Dropped passes by team:

Football | NFL | Team Leaders - Passes Dropped - washingtonpost.com

I'm a little unclear how they are ranking teams with the same numbers. I'd think they'd do something with number of pass attempts, but they clearly don't. Given the Niners' extremely low attempts, I believe they're near the top in drop percentage. I'll do some of the numbers:

SF: 15 drops in 209 attempts = 7.2%
CLE: 23 drops in 308 attempts = 7.5%
CHI: 19 in 264 = 7.2%
MIA: 19 in 250 = 7.6%
ATL: 17 in 277 = 6.1%
STL: 17 in 307 = 5.5%
CIN: 16 in 269 = 5.9%
KC: 15 in 242 = 6.2%

NYG: 11 in 280 = 3.9%

Niners are fourth in the league in drops (CHI was 7.19 to our 7.17), even with all the hype teams like St. Louis and GB were getting for drops earlier in the year. Obviously Smith wouldn't suddenly be a great QB if his guys caught the ball more reliably, but he's had several deeper balls - the most memorable the deep one to Davis this past week - and potential TDs dropped by his receivers, as well as Gore killing a few drives with just easy, easy drops. We need Smith to play better, but we also need our guys to do a better job bringing the ball in. Crabtree has seemed to improve in this area after a rough start, but Gore seems to keep getting worse and Davis has seemed a bit shaky lately, as well. Gotta step it up

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith is a safe quarterback who rarely is asked to make something happen on the field. Since being tossed against Philly last year and nearly being benched for David Carr, the man has thrown 20 touchdowns to only 3 interceptions. But he's also only thrown for 200 yards or more just five times. Manning is an unsafe quarterback who is the key to his offense. In the same timespan he's had four games of 3 interceptions or more, but he's thrown over 200 yards in all but 4 games. Truthfully, the way each player is playing RIGHT NOW, I'd take Alex for the 49ers. The 49ers run a complex RUNNING scheme with odd formations and creative run formation design. And in a WCO you want a safe high-percentage quarterback who takes what the defense gives him.

If I were starting from scratch, however, I'd take Manning without question.

Well said and I agree with taking Manning over Smith when starting from scratch. I don't like Manning's demeanor at times and I didn't like the move he pulled with San Diego when he was drafted, but purely as a QB- I'd take him over Smith.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In question nuber one you asked "If Eli plays well there is NO WAY that the 49ers can win?"

I never said there was no way the 49ers would win if Eli plays good. When you say "no way" you make it sound like it is impossible. It is very possible for Eli to play "well" and us still win. But like I said we are going to lose if Eli does play "well: but that's just my opinion I did not say that there is "no way" we win.

And I never did say Alex Smith's performance is "irrelevant" so stop putting words in my mouth. I CLEARLY stated that Eli's performance for the Giants is much more important for them to win because he is their team and they look to him to win the game. It is not the same situation when it comes to Alex Smith because anybody who has watched a 49er game can see that we do not rely on Alex to win games we rely on them to manage games and to not turn the ball over.

You said if Eli plays well the Niners won't win. I know it seems weird, but "won't" is the contraction for "will not." You didn't say the Niners likely won't win. You didn't say their chance to win is greatly diminished. You said they won't win. Now you say Eli can play well and we may still win? Come on John Kerry, stop flip-flopping. It took you a single evening to go back on what you said.

Hell, in the post quoted above you say that if Eli plays well the Niners won't win. If you don't want your statements to be taken as definitives, don't make them that way.

You IMPLIED that the Smith's performance was irrelevant. You talk about Eli's performance, then completely dismiss Smith's because he isn't the focal point of the offense, as if he were Kyle Williams.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You said if Eli plays well the Niners won't win. I know it seems weird, but "won't" is the contraction for "will not." You didn't say the Niners likely won't win. You didn't say their chance to win is greatly diminished. You said they won't win. Now you say Eli can play well and we may still win? Come on John Kerry, stop flip-flopping. It took you a single evening to go back on what you said.

Hell, in the post quoted above you say that if Eli plays well the Niners won't win. If you don't want your statements to be taken as definitives, don't make them that way.

You IMPLIED that the Smith's performance was irrelevant. You talk about Eli's performance, then completely dismiss Smith's because he isn't the focal point of the offense, as if he were Kyle Williams.

Wow. How 2004 of your, Imac. I believe in 2011 the correct reference would be to Mitt Romney.