• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scott Linehan

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant stand it when you see a blitzer vcome through and an O-lineman right there doing the shuffle not blocking anyone. I saw Warford and Raolia do that yesterday at least twice. How do they not see that guy?

Usually that would indicate that the call was for someone else to pick up that blitzer, meaning that the guy responsible for the free-rusher probably blocked someone else instead...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linehan would have this offense rolling, Im sure. Tate and Ebron would be huge in his offense.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linehan would have this offense rolling, Im sure. Tate and Ebron would be huge in his offense.

I think so, too. A lot of people want to critisize him, but realistically, our offensive woes were due to fumbles, drops, bad QB play, but we had players in the right position, with good game plans.

Everyone saying that our coaches now are better because Stafford has less turnovers. Well,maybe that's how things would've went last year had our defense been ranked #1. That gives you a lot of room to maneuver. Or they're saying this coaching staff has fixed his mechanics. Honestly, I haven't seen that. He's still side arming, and back foot throwing. If that was the problem they could've just added a qb coach.

I'm not saying Lombardi is a dud, I'll give him time, but shi . Imagine if our offense could move the ball.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linehan has much better talent in that O-Line in Dallas than the Lions have. I'll take LT Smith over Reiff or C Frederick over Raiola or RG Martin over Sims (yep, I get it that Martin is playing RG currently and he was a LT at ND whom scouts said could possibly play any of the 5 OL positions). A pretty big difference right there, imo. I'll just wait for Murray to shoot his wad around week 14 or 15 with all those carries he has currently and the on-pace for factor.

Linehan has 20+ years as an OC and Lombardi is in his 1st year. Maybe it's Lombardi's blocking schemes that has our O-Line playing poorly or maybe they just haven't had enough time to adapt to these changes and it'll be a weekly learning curve for them until it finally clicks. IDK.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pettigrew put up huge numbers under Linehan. Now he's a ghost.

Definitely odd that its the offense that has sputtered and the defense that has shined.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely odd that its the offense that has sputtered and the defense that has shined.
Yup something doesn't add up....Is Austin a genius and Lombardi a dumbass? Not sure, but my compass is pointing in the direction scheme has something to do with it. Offense added more weapons but regresses....Defense ignored (cept Van Noy hasn't played) and it excels?

I like to hope Austin is the second coming, but I have a hunch once Suh and Fairley get there contract on other teams Austin might not look like a genius....Guys that play for contracts all the sudden play and also get coaches promotions, as well as guys that already got the contract and slack off get coaches fired.

Hope we can retain Suh somehow.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
broncosmitty said:

and what is your thought process at to why Pettigrew's numbers declined after the 2011 season. titus was out somewhere around week 12 of 2012, burly was out for nearly 8 games or so and broyles was out around week 11 or 12 that same year. One would think that would mean more opportunities coming his way. It was kind of the same thing in 2013, although the head-case wasn't here. I'm pretty sure Petti's targets were down a lot in 2013, without looking. It seems to me it was either Stafford's inability to get him the targets or blatantly disregarding him or Linehan's choice by play calling.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Dallas defense is nothing to sneeze at and Linehan has nothing to do with that.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rolando McClain. comeback player of the year ? Dallas D has been decimated by many injuries but yet a lot of the praise is going to Linehan. just wait til Murray has no legs come games 13-16.

did Schwartz handcuff Linehan or was it combo O-line, Stafford and shitty receiver's.. seems as though I remember a stalled offense in the last 4 or 5 games in 2013

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and having PK Dan Bailey, who had connected on 58 of his last 59 FG's prior to Sunday's game. he hits the 50+ yarders with relative ease it seems

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and what is your thought process at to why Pettigrew's numbers declined after the 2011 season. titus was out somewhere around week 12 of 2012, burly was out for nearly 8 games or so and broyles was out around week 11 or 12 that same year. One would think that would mean more opportunities coming his way. It was kind of the same thing in 2013, although the head-case wasn't here. I'm pretty sure Petti's targets were down a lot in 2013, without looking. It seems to me it was either Stafford's inability to get him the targets or blatantly disregarding him or Linehan's choice by play calling.

10 and 11 he played every game. In 2012 he had over 100 targets still, in two less games than the previous seasons. He got about the same amount of looks a game as he did in 2010. His decrease in looks last year Id attribute to a handful of things. A lack of confidence in him from Staff(somewhat warranted), a first year tackle on both sides that needed help, and two pass catching running backs. I always looked at his role as an extension of the running game. (The aerial ground game I liked to call back on cBS.)

I don't have any problem with him having a decreased role as a receiver. But some sort of a role seems like it could eventually help this year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
broncosmitty said:
I don't have any problem with him having a decreased role as a receiver. But some sort of a role seems like it could eventually help this year.

I do to a degree. I know he's considered as the 6th O-Lineman in this offense but all too often Iwhen I've seen him chip, release, and open underneath, he should have been the check down. Stafford, IMO, is still looking at #1 designated receiver in the particular play that is called. I get that he's been under pressure all too often this year. He's still fixated on 1st read, JMO. but staffy is making far less bone-headed decisions than in years past.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd certainly like to see Pettigrew get more involved in the offense. He seems to be fast and athletic enough to pick up nice 10-15 yard chunks on the check-downs when he' working across the middle.

I think our whole offense just isn't click yet, and that we'll (hopefully) see guys like Pettigrew, Ebron, and Broyles get more involved as the season wears on.

They say not to judge a QB in a new offense until week 8, so we should be getting close to getting a better feel for what the offense will do over the second half of the season based on how they do in these next two or three games...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see more 21 packages (ebron + Pettigrew) with bush or Riddick as rb and having ebron or petti chipping, releasing underneath for quick slants or leave them both in-line on occasion having rb release on wheel route or out in flat. maybe the extra te with help to get running game going before the 4th qtr cuz prior to that qtr, the running game appears abysmal.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup something doesn't add up....Is Austin a genius and Lombardi a dumbass? Not sure, but my compass is pointing in the direction scheme has something to do with it. Offense added more weapons but regresses....Defense ignored (cept Van Noy hasn't played) and it excels?

I like to hope Austin is the second coming, but I have a hunch once Suh and Fairley get there contract on other teams Austin might not look like a genius....Guys that play for contracts all the sudden play and also get coaches promotions, as well as guys that already got the contract and slack off get coaches fired.

Hope we can retain Suh somehow.

I haven't even whispered Austin's name on this board. (Until now.). Maybe he's some kind of savior, idk. And maybe Lombardi is going to have a seasons worth of growing pains, idk that either. But it's going to take a lot more than six games for me think this franchise is any different than its been in previous seasons. We were 6-2 last year, Id gladly take that again and see what happens in the second half.

I'll talk Suh and Fairley till the cows come home. They deserve a great deal of attention. But I'll save that for another thread.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do to a degree. I know he's considered as the 6th O-Lineman in this offense but all too often Iwhen I've seen him chip, release, and open underneath, he should have been the check down. Stafford, IMO, is still looking at #1 designated receiver in the particular play that is called. I get that he's been under pressure all too often this year. He's still fixated on 1st read, JMO. but staffy is making far less bone-headed decisions than in years past.

I tread lightly with Stafford. You'll get no disagreement from me on him locking on. But like you said, he's not playing carelessly as we've seen in the past. I'll take that. If he can shake the "gunslinger" (hate the term, selfish and reckless painted in a positive light is all that is.) mindset, take what is given to him and mitigate costly turnovers he's moving in the right direction. (Game manger he will never be.)

On BP having a lesser role, I assumed he would, so I was prepared.(I wasn't shy about loving him being resigned) Fauria had a season under his belt, a #2 receiver was brought in, a pass catching TE was drafted.... But only one of the three has been utilized. (Fauria obviously isnt.)Scheme, situational play calling, or Stafford I don't know why we've seen the offense be as inept as its been. So I can't say I saw BPs role being what it considering the circumstances.

If this season were the way it is, with Scotty still calling plays, we'd be hearing screaming about Linehan, but Im okay with Lombardi only being politely questioned.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lions are trying to get Stafford to be more careful with the football and not go for the HR as often. That coupled with the fact the Lions want a permanent commitment to the running game. The Lions are capable of that type of offense it just will look boring.

The Cowboys have very good talent all around their offense plus Dez Bryant is healthy. With that being said Romo,Cutler, and Stafford of previous regimes are all capable of the 5 int game or the 3 game stretch were they can't get out of their own way. So as good as Dallas has looked they are over due for a Romo stretch were the Cowboy fans are calling for a replacement. My guess by season end we will see the lets trade for Johnny Manzel threads constantly.

Over this stretch of years that the Cowboys have been around 8-8, they've started hot several times only to falter in the second half. We should know all about that and shouldn't be buying this with the Cowboys at this point.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so, too. A lot of people want to critisize him, but realistically, our offensive woes were due to fumbles, drops, bad QB play, but we had players in the right position, with good game plans.

Everyone saying that our coaches now are better because Stafford has less turnovers. Well,maybe that's how things would've went last year had our defense been ranked #1. That gives you a lot of room to maneuver. Or they're saying this coaching staff has fixed his mechanics. Honestly, I haven't seen that. He's still side arming, and back foot throwing. If that was the problem they could've just added a qb coach.

I'm not saying Lombardi is a dud, I'll give him time, but shi . Imagine if our offense could move the ball.

I recall a lot of people on this board calling for Linehan's head the last couple of seasons because of questionable playcalling and game planning. And I still don't see why Stafford's sidearm throwing is such a problem with everyone. He'll hit several of them in a game and everyone will harp on the one bad one. Aaron Rodgers throws them too but it works out for him so no one questions his mechanics.