• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

scenarios for a cousins trade

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cali... i will just counter by saying this.

History has proven that every big flashy move this team has made turned out to be a mistake. And usually a very costly mistake. We are locked into Griffin for the forseeable future. So we can only hope he turns out to be well above average, because if not.... this has bust written all over it.

Lol, agreed! But I would counter that those flashy moves usually also included older, past their prime FAs.

And I'm hoping like crazy myself. We really deserve a break at the QB position.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cali... i will just counter by saying this.

History has proven that every big flashy move this team has made turned out to be a mistake. And usually a very costly mistake. We are locked into Griffin for the forseeable future. So we can only hope he turns out to be well above average, because if not.... this has bust written all over it.

if you cant see that this kid is something special i just dont know what to say

he isnt our issue getting some talent on both sides of the ball is

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tannehill is not taking a team anywhere. He will be an avg QB that will need talent all around him to succeed. RG3, as we saw last year, has the ability to raise the play of those around him. He is having a typical sophomore slump compounded by an injury but he has the potential to be transformational. It's not even a fair comparison. I'll take RG3 everyday and give tannehill the 3 extra starters. My money would be on RG3 over the long haul.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATL... the reason why IM starting to think the trade was a mistake is simple cost on return. Even if Tannehill only ever becomes average, the pick didnt set the team back three years. Based on cost to get him, RG3 has got to bring atleast what Eli helped the Giants get (two titles) to make the trade even worth while. And we gave up alot more than NY did for Eli. Right now he is barely out performing Tannehill. And he appears to be regressing in accuracy and decision making. Its just hard to justify the cost of getting him if this level of play continues.

if we wanted another "bus driver " then why not just stay with JC ? "Bus driver " is your words not mine

we went after a franchise qb for the love of God and in doing so we did what you and others advocated we do when bradford and sanchez where the flavor of the day on ESPN . we gutted the draft to do it and now we made a mistake ? ! ?

geez make up my mind will you , you dont want a bus driver qb , you want a franchise qb and you will pay most any price to get one , now we have one and now you want a bus driver

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Griffin will be fine with a full offseason to get 110% healthy and mentally better. Here is an interesting thought however, if Washington could trade RG3 and recoup some of those picks...say 2 first rounders, who would go for it??? No way that happens, still interesting to consider.

As far as Cousins goes, as someone else said, 3rd round or higher. Multiple picks in rounds 2-4 Would be ideal. But if we are all in on RG, then KC is doing us no good on the bench...but losing value. Besides, who is to say the FO couldn't draft another solid backup..preferably someone who would be more interchangeable with RG. way QBs are dropping like flies these days, it would be nice if you had to bring in the backup, that the play calling or offensive philosophy doesn't have to change.

Last edited by a moderator:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skinsdad.... I look at it like this. If I walk into a car dealership and I pay $60K for a Corvette, I expect a certain level of performance without excuses. If I walk into the same dealership and pay 4 times that price for the same Corvette, I better be able to put a mentally challenged Monkey behind the wheel and expect him to outrace any one on the planet. Now I agree Griffin has the potential to be special. But if we dont get minimum two Lombardi's with him playing QB, the trade was a bust. And when you give up what should be three other starters to get one guy, the bar gets raised a bit.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously if three extra draft picks only buys you a division title, and is followed up by last place in the division.... Sorry not buying it.

Or to put it another way.... had we taken Tannehill we probably would not have won the division last year. But we would be no worse off than we are right now. And dont be shocked if Miami is in the hunt for atleast a wild card when we are trying to evaluate for next year.

As i stated, if we dont get at the least two Lombardis with him as the QB, the trade will have to be considered a complete and utter failure.

If RG3 wins one SB, that's all that's needed to warrant the trade.
Miami has a better team and doesn't have the cap penalties.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If RG3 wins one SB, that's all that's needed to warrant the trade.
Miami has a better team and doesn't have the cap penalties.

Dude.. I call Bullshit on that one. We traded what should in effect have been four starters to get RG3. One Superbowl would be considered borderline worth it. But honestly that only works if that one SuperBowl comes within the next two years.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude.. I call Bullshit on that one. We traded what should in effect have been four starters to get RG3. One Superbowl would be considered borderline worth it. But honestly that only works if that one SuperBowl comes within the next two years.

We have had more than 140 draft picks since our last SB. One SB makes the trade worthwhile.

Why do you limit it to the next two years? Because of his rookie contract?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cant compare the Dolphins when you are evaluating this trade. Its the only the rams and Redskins who we should be comparing. Who will have more playoff appearances or super bowl titles. If Rg3 brings us to NFC title games not a Superbowl its not a bad trade. I can not see the Rams closer to a championship than us.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cant compare the Dolphins when you are evaluating this trade. Its the only the rams and Redskins who we should be comparing. Who will have more playoff appearances or super bowl titles. If Rg3 brings us to NFC title games not a Superbowl its not a bad trade. I can not see the Rams closer to a championship than us.

Dean, I think thats very suspect logic. You have to consider the Dolphins and in particular Tannehill when you evaluate RG3. Simply put, we could have stayed where we were and gotten Tannehill at six, or at worst given up alot less to move up a spot or two and take him if we were worried the Dolphins would trade up for him. We gave up 3 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick to take RG3. The Dolphins used 1 first rounder on Tannehill. I agree comparing him to Luck is pointless, because there was no way we would get Luck. But we could have taken Tannehill and not burned the extra picks.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have had more than 140 draft picks since our last SB. One SB makes the trade worthwhile.

Why do you limit it to the next two years? Because of his rookie contract?

I limit it to the next two years because we gave four picks to get him. With elevated cost, the expected outcome has got to be higher. If you give up 1 high first rounder, you should expect an all pro type player as a result. When you give up FOUR high draft picks, you expect a player along the lines of the guys in the Hall of Fame. I think the problem is, we have been bad for so long that every one has taken the approach of DC Public schools. Instead of raising the bar, lets just lower expectations.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why even bother going the 'woulda, coulda, shoulda' route? Stop it, please. Useless to spend time on that. Too many unknown variables. No one can guarantee we would be in a better place. Its useless hypotheticals. No one can foresee exactly what injuries might occur, what performance would be garnered, how good an unknown draft pick(s) would be, or how different decisions would play out. Let's focus on what we know.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I limit it to the next two years because we gave four picks to get him. With elevated cost, the expected outcome has got to be higher. If you give up 1 high first rounder, you should expect an all pro type player as a result. When you give up FOUR high draft picks, you expect a player along the lines of the guys in the Hall of Fame. I think the problem is, we have been bad for so long that every one has taken the approach of DC Public schools. Instead of raising the bar, lets just lower expectations.

Are your expectations 2 SBs in the next 2 years, or Griff has been the ultimate disappointment? If so, I think this totally unrealistic, no matter who you're talking about as a Rookie QB. Even Eli, didn't come close to this.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are your expectations 2 SBs in the next 2 years, or Griff has been the ultimate disappointment? If so, I think this totally unrealistic, no matter who you're talking about as a Rookie QB. Even Eli, didn't come close to this.

Cali... Im expecting that if we arent serious Super Bowl contenders next year, then the following year we will be under a new coaching staff and thus rebuilding. At that point all bets are off. We gave up alot for this guy, so yes I did expect at least a realistic shot at a Super Bowl within his rookie contract. Instead, in his second year, we are asking the question should the coach be fired. If we end up firing Shanahan at the end of this season, I think that would be a strong indicator that the trade may well have been a mistake. And we are well beyond the Eli trade as they gave up an extra 1st, 3rd and 5th to get Eli. We gave up 2 1st and a second. We payed alot more for RG3 than the giants did for Eli.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cali... Im expecting that if we arent serious Super Bowl contenders next year, then the following year we will be under a new coaching staff and thus rebuilding. At that point all bets are off. We gave up alot for this guy, so yes I did expect at least a realistic shot at a Super Bowl within his rookie contract. Instead, in his second year, we are asking the question should the coach be fired. If we end up firing Shanahan at the end of this season, I think that would be a strong indicator that the trade may well have been a mistake. And we are well beyond the Eli trade as they gave up an extra 1st, 3rd and 5th to get Eli. We gave up 2 1st and a second. We payed alot more for RG3 than the giants did for Eli.

My expectations, even when we traded up for Griff, though very high, were never so elevated as to expect multiple SB contentions, within the framework of his rookie contract. I can see the line of reasoning for why you might feel differently. But I still think, your expectations, simply based on number (rounds) of picks, neglects too many other intangibles and team factors in play. Especially after his injury last year. That delayed everything, including the development (lack of?) of his play this year. You also can't discount poor performance in other aspects of the game as excuses. That is also holding us back. It's reality.

One thing we definitly agree on, this year has been a major disappointment for skins fans. And the very real fact, that we may continue to tailspin, is quite depressing.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My expectations, even when we traded up for Griff, though very high, were never so elevated as to expect multiple SB contentions, within the framework of his rookie contract. I can see the line of reasoning for why you might feel differently. But I still think, your expectations, simply based on number (rounds) of picks, neglects too many other intangibles and team factors in play. Especially after his injury last year. That delayed everything, including the development (lack of?) of his play this year. You also can't discount poor performance in other aspects of the game as excuses. That is also holding us back. It's reality.

One thing we definitly agree on, this year has been a major disappointment for skins fans. And the very real fact, that we may continue to tailspin, is quite depressing.

Cali, I think you misunderstand. I didnt expect multiple Super Bowl contentions within his rookie contract. But I did and still do expect atleast ONE serious Super Bowl push before his rookie contract is over. If not, then you do seriously have to question the move in light of what we gave up to get him. I would give him the injury excuse, except I think he is alot more responsible for the injury than many want to let on. And I dont discount poor play in other areas of the team, but its a bitch move for him to constantly deflect blame for his own weaknesses. Just dont like the persona he is putting off. When they win he says we did good, but if they lose its well this was wrong and that was wrong. Followed by a correction a few days later. So considering what we gave up for him, and what we are getting... I am seriously reconsidering his true value since it appears he may never be more than an option QB. And while he is great at that when healthy, IM starting to think we might have gotten snookered.