• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scandrick out for season with torn ACL

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone posted a list the other day after Nelson. Was much more than 8 or 9

Are we just talking ACL injuries or all injuries?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess add Junior Galette also...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the other thread. May not be accurate. Add Scandrick

Hmm Oh I remember what I was looking at it wasn't about ACL's it was about the number of clear cut starters lost for the season during off season camp.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in the off season actually ACL tears are down from last year. So far if I remember right we have had 8 or 9 this season where last off season there were a total of 11 or 12. Obviously there are two weeks left in the off season so anything can happen but injuries have held steady in the NFL pretty much since 2000. Actually 2000 was the year with the most ACL tears during off season training.

Any stats on achilles injuries? There seem to be more of those in the past couple of years, than I remember in the past?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any stats on achilles injuries? There seem to be more of those in the past couple of years, than I remember in the past?

Well I was off on my ACL tears so not sure I am the one to ask. I do know lower leg injuries are actually up since the NFL introduced the whole better to go low than high rules. And it does seem that ACL and Achilles seem to be the two most common injuries anymore.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I was off on my ACL tears so not sure I am the one to ask. I do know lower leg injuries are actually up since the NFL introduced the whole better to go low than high rules. And it does seem that ACL and Achilles seem to be the two most common injuries anymore.

I just noticed the achilles seems more prevalent, even in BB and baseball the last few years as well. Ive got a couple friends that have blown out their achilles in the last year, one playing softball and the other dodgeball. I just figured they were too old, but even the young athletes seem to be suffering these more these days.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just noticed the achilles seems more prevalent, even in BB and baseball the last few years as well. Ive got a couple friends that have blown out their achilles in the last year, one playing softball and the other dodgeball. I just figured they were too old, but even the young athletes seem to be suffering these more these days.

I actually tore mine back in April. Just now starting to get where I can do any kind of running on it. Mine I am pretty sure was because I forgot to stretch before soccer practice. I coach and many times the students like for me to play with them. Unfortunately many practices I don't stretch or get ready with them so I am going into the game cold. Up to this past season I had been fine but yeah won't be making that mistake this next season.

I do think some of that could be the problem for these guys. The off season is longer than before meaning they have to work that much harder to stay in shape coming into the season. Throw in because these guys are all bigger, faster, stronger than players of 20 years ago that means so much more strain on the muscle than any other time in the history of this game. Throw in then because they are all those things that every hit is that much more magnified on the field. I honestly don't see this problem getting any better.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF

You have to start questioning the off season workouts or the strength and conditioning techniques - or both

Too much weight training, not enough stretching and conditioning.

A lot of people and doctors are beginning to question whether players are just too big. The muscle size and body weights just keep going up, but the infrastructure of the body stays the same. Too much size and weight for ligaments to handle, which is why we're seeing a lot of blown out ligaments. Torn ACLs, blown out Achilles, blown out elbows (baseball mostly).

I guess we can start requiring additional structures to be worn in the form of braces, etc but even that doesn't always work.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people and doctors are beginning to question whether players are just too big. The muscle size and body weights just keep going up, but the infrastructure of the body stays the same. Too much size and weight for ligaments to handle, which is why we're seeing a lot of blown out ligaments. Torn ACLs, blown out Achilles, blown out elbows (baseball mostly).

I guess we can start requiring additional structures to be worn in the form of braces, etc but even that doesn't always work.

A smart strength coach would require year round yoga classes for anyone under contract.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A smart strength coach would require year round yoga classes for anyone under contract.

Problem is the CBS won't allow a coach to impose that. Players need to take it upon themselves to stretch often in the off season. Just 30 minutes a day will make a huge difference. It's not like they are working 40 hour weeks March - May.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF

You have to start questioning the off season workouts or the strength and conditioning techniques - or both

This is happening league wide though. These last two training camps/preseasons have seemed like an unusually high amount of carnage to big name players.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is the CBA won't allow a coach to impose that. Players need to take it upon themselves to stretch often in the off season. Just 30 minutes a day will make a huge difference. It's not like they are working 40 hour weeks March - May.

CBS should have been CBA.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I am a big proponent of core strength and yoga programs for all athletes, I don't think it matters just a whole lot in the area of these types of injuries. IMO, those programs are better suited to prevent things like muscle tears/strains. They keep the muscle fibers stretched out nicely. Tendons are another thing all together.

The local radio had Dr. James Andrews on earlier and he attributed the spike in injuries to both young players specializing in a sport way too early/professionally training way too young and the increase in body mass among athletes.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I am a big proponent of core strength and yoga programs for all athletes, I don't think it matters just a whole lot in the area of these types of injuries. IMO, those programs are better suited to prevent things like muscle tears/strains. They keep the muscle fibers stretched out nicely. Tendons are another thing all together.

The local radio had Dr. James Andrews on earlier and he attributed the spike in injuries to both young players specializing in a sport way too early/professionally training way too young and the increase in body mass among athletes.

True, it may not help for some of these. But I think it certainly could help against the oblique strains, quad strains, hammy issues, etc.