• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Say day for Huskies

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there's a lot of Husky fans on the Seahawks forum, but the Huskies do have a forum on SportsHoopla, and I also believe there is thread for this on that board.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dawg-Father lost his battle with cancer... Don James Huskies won four Rose Bowl titles, the Orange Bowl in January 1985 Washington won 22 consecutive games from 1990 to 1992 and a national championship in 1991.... Helluva coach... All the best to his family.. RIP Don

Washington announces death of longtime coach Don James - CBSSports.com

May the GodFather r.i.p. What a coach. I thought you might like this, Stu, being the fanatical dawg fan that you are.

I had just turned 21 and I received a Xmas flight to the undefeated 1991 Dawgs, Jan 1, 1992 Rosebowl. I went with 3 buddies who had family with a wicked pad on the hill in Glendale. We went to this New Years Eve Dawg bash at a convention center. Partied all night, partied that morning and trucked over to the RoseBowl in Purple and Gold Dawg attire. We taunted all these Big Blue Michigan fans walking in thinking they were going to stomp us. :laugh3: Major smack talk going into the contest.

Remember, this was a 10-1 Michigan team ranked #4 in the Nation. Their O was stacked and D was solid. Michigan had 2 All-American's on their O line who were drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds. I believe it was an Everitt kid and Skrapernek. Elvis Grbac was the QB, Punk Desmond Howard and 2 good RB's. Crazy what is logged in memory.

Steve Emtman had the flu and we weren't sure how effective he was going to be. Steve destroyed that all-american center and 1st rd pick by tossing him around like he was a rag doll. Dana Hall and Walter Bailey destroyed Howard. Grbac couldn't do a thing. 34-7 into the 4th when our backups came in for a 34-14 final. I'm sure you know all of this but it's a memory of the Don James era.

One final thought. I had the pleasure of briefly meeting Don, post retirement, on a mini-ferry that went from Seattle to Tacoma when the Sonics were in the playoffs at the Tacoma dome. I looked around and wow, there was Don James sitting at a table with family. I didn't want to intrude but I had to go over to him. He was cordial, I shook his hand and thanked him for all of the incredible football memories he had given me and my friends. You could see it in his eyes the great run he led.

May Don James R.I.P., the GodFather of the Best Collegiate Defense of the past 30 years, the 1991 Dawgs.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have the tickets, Stu. Always!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 108

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there's a lot of Husky fans on the Seahawks forum, but the Huskies do have a forum on SportsHoopla, and I also believe there is thread for this on that board.

:lame: :lame: :lame: :lame: :lame: :lame:

Attachments

• Husky-Peeing.jpg
    Husky-Peeing.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 112

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May the GodFather r.i.p. What a coach. I thought you might like this, Stu, being the fanatical dawg fan that you are.

I had just turned 21 and I received a Xmas flight to the undefeated 1991 Dawgs, Jan 1, 1992 Rosebowl. I went with 3 buddies who had family with a wicked pad on the hill in Glendale. We went to this New Years Eve Dawg bash at a convention center. Partied all night, partied that morning and trucked over to the RoseBowl in Purple and Gold Dawg attire. We taunted all these Big Blue Michigan fans walking in thinking they were going to stomp us. :laugh3: Major smack talk going into the contest.

Remember, this was a 10-1 Michigan team ranked #4 in the Nation. Their O was stacked and D was solid. Michigan had 2 All-American's on their O line who were drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds. I believe it was an Everitt kid and Skrapernek. Elvis Grbac was the QB, Punk Desmond Howard and 2 good RB's. Crazy what is logged in memory.

Steve Emtman had the flu and we weren't sure how effective he was going to be. Steve destroyed that all-american center and 1st rd pick by tossing him around like he was a rag doll. Dana Hall and Walter Bailey destroyed Howard. Grbac couldn't do a thing. 34-7 into the 4th when our backups came in for a 34-14 final. I'm sure you know all of this but it's a memory of the Don James era.

One final thought. I had the pleasure of briefly meeting Don, post retirement, on a mini-ferry that went from Seattle to Tacoma when the Sonics were in the playoffs at the Tacoma dome. I looked around and wow, there was Don James sitting at a table with family. I didn't want to intrude but I had to go over to him. He was cordial, I shook his hand and thanked him for all of the incredible football memories he had given me and my friends. You could see it in his eyes the great run he led.

May Don James R.I.P., the GodFather of the Best Collegiate Defense of the past 30 years, the 1991 Dawgs.

Great story... Thanks for that!

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raise's hand,yup i recall those day's fondly,funny how long ago they seem.

Me and my buddy's used to go to Louie's here in Bellevue and many of late 80's early 90's players would hang out there too,i was kicking back mai tai's with two O-line guys and asked them if i could put the Rose Bowl rings on my finger and walk up to my brother,they let me lol.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Has nothing to do with Cougars/Huskies. Has everything to do with this is a Seahawks board. Sorry he passed, but if I wanted Husky news I'd frequent their board (which I do, I just don't post).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has nothing to do with Cougars/Huskies. Has everything to do with this is a Seahawks board. Sorry he passed, but if I wanted Husky news I'd frequent their board (which I do, I just don't post).

Your going to get some Husky news on the Hawks board, should not be a big deal.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope you complained about all those ridiculous 49er threads that didn't even have to do with football if you're gonna complain about this. Otherwise it does come across as a Husky/Cougar thing.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your going to get some Husky news on the Hawks board, should not be a big deal.

There has been Husky news come across within the context of the team or game threads. Just like there's been Cougar stuff as well. I understand that there's a lot of Husky fans here, but there is also a lot of Husky fans on the Husky board. I don't create any threads here about any of the other teams I support, and not just WSU, but also the Mariners, Blazers, Utah State, Brigham Young, etc. etc.

I haven't derided the Sounders threads because there isn't a Sounders board (as far as I know) and there isn't anywhere else people could talk about it. If there was a Sounders board, I would think the same thing about those threads.

I hope you complained about all those ridiculous 49er threads that didn't even have to do with football if you're gonna complain about this. Otherwise it does come across as a Husky/Cougar thing.

In that case it was a discussion of the state of the teams biggest rivals. Not my favorite topics to be sure, but they can have effect on the Seahawks this season.

Besides, as far as the Huskies go, I really don't mind them. As far as the college teams I cheer for, the Huskies are pretty high on the list (sorry, I just don't hate them). I root for them any time they aren't playing the Cougars, Utah State, BYU or Eastern Washington, or a Husky win won't hurt those teams (which in most cases isn't an issue). I may give a Huskies' fan a lighthearted jab here and there, but I just don't dislike the Huskies.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never had the pleasure to meet the Great Don James as some of you have but I had the pleasure of watching his teams dominate whenever they were shown on national tv. I did go to a couple of Husky games when out visiting family and had a blast. My greatest Don James moment was knowing that his coaching techniques reached across the country into my high school here in South Jersey. Seeing my High School dominate on defense week after week gave me great satisfaction knowing they based their defense off of UW's defense and not a defense like Texas, OSU, Miami, etc. RIP to Don James, gone but never forgotten.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blstoker, I've always respected your posts and your views even when I don't agree with them, but your comments here makes me question my views of you.

I would have no problem with coug fans posting about the passing of a college football legend that happened to coach at your school. Now maybe the OP should have put an OT in front of the topic, but to complain about this on a site filled with UW fans at the moment of our deepest sorrow is pretty lame.

I'm glad Walden had some really nice things to say about him and showed some class. Players, coaches, and fans from all over the country have weighed in and offered some kind words. Let those grieving have their moment.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have no problem with coug fans posting about the passing of a college football legend that happened to coach at your school. Now maybe the OP should have put an OT in front of the topic, but to complain about this on a site filled with UW fans at the moment of our deepest sorrow is pretty lame.

Not so much a complaint as pointing out that the Huskies have a board, and that there's a thread for that exact same topic on the board that would reach the most Husky fans. If Mike Price (WSU greatest coach, IMO) passed away, I would create a thread about it on the Cougars board. Not because I don't think there aren't any Cougar fans on the Seahawks board, but because that is where I think that topic should be put.

Now, I did not spit on his memory, urinate on his grave, or disparage his memory in any way, just stated an opinion that the Huskies board was a more appropriate place for it. Sorry Husky fans think this means I hate them, I just politely disagree with them on where this should be discussed. Sorry you feel insulted.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never suggested you hate huskies nor disrespected James nor do I believe that. And I think all agree that talk of a college football legend belongs on the college boards. I just questioned even the logic of telling people the obvious in a post about a football legend. Maybe they just wanted to share it with those who may not frequent the college boards that may still be interested in the news.

We have had off topic threads on this board from the sounders to commercials. How is this worse? If it isn't maybe it's best to simply pass it by instead of pointing it out as it's a topic that will soon disappear anyway.

Again, to be clear I wasn't insulted and I won't hate you over it, but it does paint you in a different light .

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If football fans were born from 1982 or later, could see the accomplishments of all time Washington sports figures for a 4 headed Mt. Rainier, you'll find Don James carved into the mtn. Steve Largent, Ken Griffey Jr, Lenny Wilkins or Gary Payton, Walter Jones and Don are in consideration. James should be etched.

He was an icon who deserved the 1985 National Championship, won the 1991 NC, had a 22 game win streak and coached Nick Saban among others.

My question is why you found it necessary to take it upon yourself to decide that honoring Don James and sharing a few moments should be solely on the Husky board and not the Hawks? I'm not sure why you wouldn't just move on or why even open the thread?

I've shown poor judgment plenty of times in my life and you'll just have to understand that you showed poor judgment and taste regarding Don James' death on this board.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've shown poor judgment plenty of times in my life and you'll just have to understand that you showed poor judgment and taste regarding Don James' death on this board.

I concede that I should have kept quiet. In hindsight there was probably no way this wasn't going to be taken as an affront to the Huskies and Don James. The attempts to explain any reasoning for what was posted seems to have made matters worse, not actually better.

Again, I have not disparaged Don James' life, career, passing or legacy in any way. I may have let emotions from my personal like cloud my judgement, but it was not my intent to insult everyone.