• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Steele's 10 Bold Predictions for 2013

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty funny to me that most here seem to believe it is out of the realm of believability that a team that won 9 games last year can't win 2 more games this year. I mean, teams bringing back the most starters in the nation NEVER improve, right? That's clearly not possible, LOL

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually very surprised about Steele being all over Texas's nuts. Year in and year out, it seems Steele is always teabagging the ever living shit out of OU's nutsack; always predicting the Pooners to win it all every year......

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love them or hate them, if Texas can get past Kansas State and OU to be 7-0 they'll be damn hard to keep out of the NC game. The away game at BYU is a trap game.....but UT should still handle them. It takes a lot of "what ifs" for a team to get into the title game but Ohio State, Alabama and Oregon are beatable and ESPN loves the Horns. This can be a year where all non-Horn fans have to stand around and keep wondering when they'll finally lose one. Just like when Vince Young was laughed at for always losing big games and then he finally caught fire to look unbeatable. UT was also supposed to get beat by USC for the NC that year but people who know what a hot Texas team can do thought otherwise. Ask Barry Switzer; he knows UT well and picked UT in that game; he's also made comments this year he thinks Texas will be very, very good.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mizzou in a bowl game? Clearly this guy knows what he is talking about

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the comments are funny. Guy is saying here are 10 bold predictions. Basically stating here are some long shots that I think can come true. Of course he isnt going to be 100% accurate. It is always easy to rip on a guy that writes down his preseason predictions, mostly because it is easy to forget our own stupid predictions.
Exactly

Plus, he does it the way he does to get reactions since that's what gets his stuff read. People who love him will read it and people who hate him will. Nobody reads someone they feel tepid about.

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, some of you need look up the word bold.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see how he did?

1. The Texas Longhorns will win at least 11 games. - wrong
Texas went 8-5

2. The SEC will send a record number of teams to bowls (11 or 12). - wrong
SEC sent 9 teams to bowl games.

3. Baylor's first-time starting QB Bryce Petty will lead the Big 12 in passing and total offense. - maybe
Petty was the leading passer in Big 12, but I do not know about total offense. He wasn't in top 50 or whatever in rushing stats.

4. Florida State will average 40-plus points per game with a first-time starting quarterback. - right
Florida State averaged 53 ppg. In fact, FSU averaged 42 points more then their opponents.

5. Wisconsin will have three fewer losses this season but won't win its division. - right
He said they went 7-5 last season (regular season). This season, Wisconsin went 9-3 in regular season and did not win its division.

6. The best bet to win the Heisman? The field. - wrong
He had a list of players and the 1st one was Winston.

7. Marshall will go from five wins to a double-digit win total. - right
Marshall went 10-4

8. Southern Miss will go from 0-12 to a bowl game. - wrong
USM went from 0-12 to 1-11.

9. Despite losing multiyear starting quarterbacks, look for Iowa, California and Georgia Tech to have improved numbers from their new starters this season. - maybe
He's correct for Iowa, but I don't know about the others.

10. Kent State will go from 11 wins to missing out on a bowl. - right
Went from 11 wins to 4 wins

*******I say Phil Steele had 4 rights, 4 wrongs, and 2 maybe

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see how he did?

1. The Texas Longhorns will win at least 11 games. - wrong
Texas went 8-5

2. The SEC will send a record number of teams to bowls (11 or 12). - wrong
SEC sent 9 teams to bowl games.

3. Baylor's first-time starting QB Bryce Petty will lead the Big 12 in passing and total offense. - maybe
Petty was the leading passer in Big 12, but I do not know about total offense. He wasn't in top 50 or whatever in rushing stats.

4. Florida State will average 40-plus points per game with a first-time starting quarterback. - right
Florida State averaged 53 ppg. In fact, FSU averaged 42 points more then their opponents.

5. Wisconsin will have three fewer losses this season but won't win its division. - right
He said they went 7-5 last season (regular season). This season, Wisconsin went 9-3 in regular season and did not win its division.

6. The best bet to win the Heisman? The field. - wrong
He had a list of players and the 1st one was Winston.

7. Marshall will go from five wins to a double-digit win total. - right
Marshall went 10-4

8. Southern Miss will go from 0-12 to a bowl game. - wrong
USM went from 0-12 to 1-11.

9. Despite losing multiyear starting quarterbacks, look for Iowa, California and Georgia Tech to have improved numbers from their new starters this season. - maybe
He's correct for Iowa, but I don't know about the others.

10. Kent State will go from 11 wins to missing out on a bowl. - right
Went from 11 wins to 4 wins

*******I say Phil Steele had 4 rights, 4 wrongs, and 2 maybe

The SEC sent 10 teams. Alabama, Vandy, aTm, Missouri, LSU, USCe, Miss St, UGA, Auburn, and Ole Miss. But still wrong

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC sent 10 teams. Alabama, Vandy, aTm, Missouri, LSU, USCe, Miss St, UGA, Auburn, and Ole Miss. But still wrong

:doh: i can't count, I'm a B1G fan.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is such an idiot. Bet at most 1 of these happens. Phil Steele is a tool.

Today’s blog is about accuracy. I take great pride in the accuracy of my predictions in the magazine. I write each of the 124 team previews myself while most of the other magazines have each conference written by a different writer from that conferences area. I put my name on the front of the magazine and my goal each year is to pick every conference perfect. Naturally that is an unreasonable goal but my magazine is the MOST accurate over the past 14 years and it is not really close.

This year, Brandon Pertner who is one of the Assistant Editors here and a former radio producer and talk show host was kind enough to write an article on my magazine being the most accurate over the last 14 years. The scores are figured by taking each publication’s forecasting accuracy by comparing the predicted finish with the actual finish of each team in the conference.

Most Accurate Magazine the Last 14 Years!

I haven't checked the numbers but they say their most accurate. Of course Fox Noise says their number 1 and fair and balanced.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he did pretty good.

I didn't think Texas was going to win 11, but I think they were going to do about same as last season.
Didn't think SEC was gonna send 12.
I knew nothing about Baylor's QB, so I didn't know if he was going to be right or wrong.
Since FSU lost so many last season, I didn't agree with FSU comment.
I figured Wisconsin was going to do better than they did this year.
I didn't care about Heisman in August.
Didn't know anything about Marshall.
Figured that was a huge jump for USM
I am glad he is right about Iowa, don't really know about others.
I figured Kent State would fall, MAC schools don't last very long as dominant schools.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy, tool he may be, but he has often been more right than wrong. Just sayin...