• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sandoval Signs with Red Sox

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(I assume 'expect' was meant to be 'except'. Not a rag, just explaining where I'm starting with my answer, and acknowledging that I make typos all the time as well.)

The Giants get the same pick no matter who he signs with - a first round supplemental pick. The difference is that the Sox don't lose their 1st round pick, which doesn't affect the Giants' pick.

Edit: the Giants don't get the other team's lost pick. That changed in the most recent CBA (before, they would have).

The Sox have their first rounder protected (#7), but have forfeited their #2 and #3 picks after signing Sandoval and Hanley.

The Giants currently pick #20 and #37.

QOs still on the market...

Scherzer
Santana
Shields
Cabrera
Cruz
Liriano

I think this is a complete list. Personally, I think the Giants should only look at Scherzer from this list. #20 (at worst) can be a good player.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(I assume 'expect' was meant to be 'except'. Not a rag, just explaining where I'm starting with my answer, and acknowledging that I make typos all the time as well.)

The Giants get the same pick no matter who he signs with - a first round supplemental pick. The difference is that the Sox don't lose their 1st round pick, which doesn't affect the Giants' pick.

Edit: the Giants don't get the other team's lost pick. That changed in the most recent CBA (before, they would have).

Haha yea my bad. So just so I understand. If your pick is top 10? you don't lose it for signing a player who got a QO. If your pick is after top 10 you lose it, but the team that lost the player to the signing team i.e Giants for losing Panda, get a comp pick no matter what after the 1st round?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha yea my bad. So just so I understand. If your pick is top 10? you don't lose it for signing a player who got a QO. If your pick is after top 10 you lose it, but the team that lost the player to the signing team i.e Giants for losing Panda, get a comp pick no matter what after the 1st round?

Yup that's it. A team losing a player who received a Quality Offer from the team would *always* get a supplemental pick for that player. The signing team would lose their first round pick *unless it was one of the first 10 picks* - in which case they'd lose their 2nd round pick. And if they signed a 2nd player from another team who received a QO, they'd lose their 3rd round pick and the losing team would also get a supplemental pick (after the first round) for that player. Order determined by 2014 win-loss record in the supplemental round.

One thing I'm not 100% sure of if it is really the first 10 picks, or the first 10 draft picks allocated due to the 2014 final win-loss records. What I mean is if your team was the 10th worst in 2014 then you'd have the 10th draft pick allocated due to the previous season's record. If that were true (you were 10th worst) BUT two teams didn't sign last year's picks #3 and #6, they would (respectively) get picks #4 and #7 in *this* year's draft, moving the 10th worst team to pick #12.

I think I'm explaining this poorly. Oh well, it's late. I *think* it's the top 10 picks no matter how you got it, but I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup that's it. A team losing a player who received a Quality Offer from the team would *always* get a supplemental pick for that player. The signing team would lose their first round pick *unless it was one of the first 10 picks* - in which case they'd lose their 2nd round pick. And if they signed a 2nd player from another team who received a QO, they'd lose their 3rd round pick and the losing team would also get a supplemental pick (after the first round) for that player. Order determined by 2014 win-loss record in the supplemental round.

One thing I'm not 100% sure of if it is really the first 10 picks, or the first 10 draft picks allocated due to the 2014 final win-loss records. What I mean is if your team was the 10th worst in 2014 then you'd have the 10th draft pick allocated due to the previous season's record. If that were true (you were 10th worst) BUT two teams didn't sign last year's picks #3 and #6, they would (respectively) get picks #4 and #7 in *this* year's draft, moving the 10th worst team to pick #12.

I think I'm explaining this poorly. Oh well, it's late. I *think* it's the top 10 picks no matter how you got it, but I'm not 100% sure.

OK, so I had to go look it up. These two articles imply that my guess was wrong : it is the first 10 allocated draft picks using the opposite order of the previous year's standings that are protected. For example, in 2014 the Astros didn't sign their #1 pick, so they get pick #2 in 2015. Both articles say "This year, the first 11 picks are protected." and both mention the Astros get an extra pick in 2015 (#2).

And here's the 2015 MLB Draft order - CBSSports.com

2015 MLB Draft Order ? MLB Trade Rumors

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would we do without you, Marco? Thanks for keeping us up on these rules and regs.

My pleasure.

So, basically, the 10 worst teams the previous year can't lose this coming year's draft pick by signing a FA who received a QO. Also, 'replacement picks' (getting next year's 'N+1' pick if you couldn't sign this year's 'N' pick) by definition *can't* be lost.

So if a team (say, the Reds) can't sign their pick #11 in the 2015 draft, and they happen to do really, really well in 2015, with (say) the 10th best record in baseball in 2015. During the offseason they sign a guy who received a QO. They would lose their pick #21 and NOT their pick #12, since 'replacement picks' can't be lost.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't quite understand the comp pick order listed. How do the Cards pick higher than the Padres, for instance?

What comp pick order are you referring to?

Edit:

I see. You were referring to a different link in a different post...

The comp picks you are referring to are the competitive balance picks. I believe those are determined by random order each year. Not sure how the Cards qualify for a competitive balance pick, though...

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fking internet!! I lost internet for hours, and it looked like my last post didn't make it out, so I posted it again, making this a double post. Sorry.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comp picks you are referring to are the competitive balance picks. I believe those are determined by random order each year. Not sure how the Cards qualify for a competitive balance pick, though...

The reason that the Cards can be before the padres is because ... it is a *lottery*. Team names get thrown into a hat (or a bag, or something) and then 6 are pulled out. The number of 'entries' that you have depends on the previous season's win-loss record. The Cards happened to be the third name pulled out of Selig's ass during the lottery.

More detailed rules :

- The ten Clubs with the lowest revenues, and the ten Clubs in the smallest markets, will be entered into a lottery for the six draft selections immediately following the completion of the first round of the draft. A Club’s odds of winning the lottery will be based on its prior season’s winning percentage. {Obviously there can can be considerable overlap between the two categories. There were only 15 teams, not 20, in contention for the 2015 Competitive Balance Lottery (CBL) draft picks.}

- The eligible Clubs that did not receive one of the six selections after the first round, and all other payee Clubs under the Revenue Sharing Plan, will be entered into a second lottery for the six picks immediately following the completion of the second round of the draft. {If MLB sends your team Revenue Sharing money, even if it's only $20,000, then you are eligible for the CBL draft picks after round two. That was the case in 2015 : the Twins and Mariners were added because they got revenue sharing money.