• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sandoval Signs with Red Sox

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Evans just said it was official on KNBR. Fuck it...Onward and let's kick some ass in 2015. I wish the season would start tomorrow. Shit I would play for free.

Go Giants !!

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't meant to insinuate that anyone was fooling anyone here. It is what it is.....business.

We might get invested in the team, but the players (and by association their agents) are mini-business ventures on to themselves.

Money talks. Even if we don't like it.

Go Giants!

Not you mi amigo haha

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*McNamara.....lol

My bad...sorry Grady. I am a little pissed right now but it's time to move on and bring in some new blood for the next run. Let's Rock N' Roll....I believe in Sabean and Bochy to make the right moves to get us back to the promised land. Here we go.....

Go Giants !!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It kinda hurts today, but in the long run, I think it best that we "lost" this battle. Panda's numbers are trending down. The contract would not have been good at these levels.

Not to say he wasn't the top 3B on the market. He clearly was. Just that the $$ he was seeking (and got) is detrimental to putting a good team together. Only a team willing to completely destroy the Luxury Tax can put a winner together with that contract.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It kinda hurts today, but in the long run, I think it best that we "lost" this battle. Panda's numbers are trending down. The contract would not have been good at these levels.

Not to say he wasn't the top 3B on the market. He clearly was. Just that the $$ he was seeking (and got) is detrimental to putting a good team together. Only a team willing to completely destroy the Luxury Tax can put a winner together with that contract.

Not going to lie, I am going to miss the Kung Fu Panda. He is a good player, solid defender, good hitter, good teammate, and a marketing dream come true. I wish him well in Boston, unless they are playing the Giants, then I hope he goes 0-4 with four FPGIDP.

Not sure we can replace his bat, but someone like Headley can replace his glove. Way too much money for one player not named Posey, Pence, Cain or Bumgarner.

I can imagine this was a difficult decision for the 28 year old. When I was 28, my biggest decision was about attending grad school.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish him well. I bet the Giants have a plan in place otherwise they would not have let him go so easily. The money is now available to sign some pitching help.

I would love to see if Duffy can handle the job but the most interesting thing about this development is we will see how much credence can be given to the "Posey at 3B" idea.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. For me its always been about the team and not the players. Players will come and go but we will always have the Giants

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish him well. I bet the Giants have a plan in place otherwise they would not have let him go so easily. The money is now available to sign some pitching help.

I would love to see if Duffy can handle the job but the most interesting thing about this development is we will see how much credence can be given to the "Posey at 3B" idea.

???

What about this process seemed "easy" to you?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

What about this process seemed "easy" to you?

Something about this situation always made me feel like the Giants were not 100% interested in bringing Sandoval back; it almost seemed like the effort to sign him was because they felt like they had to for the fans because he is so popular with them. I don't think they thought it was really wise to sign a fat guy for 5 years who seemed to be trending downward each year.

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this official or what? It's not fair to the fans that we are being jerked around saying Pablo is gone when it's not official according to Pablo's agent. I want him to stay here but if this is some ploy to jerk us fans around and Giants management by Pablo's agent I am going to get really pissed. Is it official or not? Shit or get off the pot.

Go Giants !!

Yeah man it's official now.. go turn on the news. They're talking about it everywhere

Sandoval just kicked all the Giants fans in the nuts.. how could he do that to all the fans? :bawling:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. For me its always been about the team and not the players. Players will come and go but we will always have the Giants

We're all rooting for laundry....

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much every Giant fans loved Pablo, he was an entertaining player, and for a few years the only offensive player we had to get excited about. While it is sad to see him go, I totally agree with Cal. The Giants FO showed they continue to be loyal to their players in being right there money and year wise with their offer, but paying him 20mil a year for 6 years, I'm assuming that option vests, would have been bad for this organization. No one on the roster now is in line for a big payday coming up, so I think the Giants are set up pretty good financially for the next few years.

Pablo has been great for us in the past 2 world series runs, but when was the last time Pablo impacted the regular season? 2011? He only played 117 games that year put up 23HR 70 RBI 315/357/552/909. Other than that, 2009 was his only good full season. 25 HR 90 RBI 330/387/556/943.

In 2012-14-- 406 G 42 HR 215 RBI in 1509 AB w/ slash line of 280/335/424/759. Surprisingly, his numbers are better at home, career OPS of 853 at home and 771 on the road. That is including his best 2 years, 2009 and 2011. His numbers are on the road the past 3 years even worse, 712 OPS. I know OPS isn't everything, but just an indication of his declining production.

We may miss him next year depending upon who replaces him, but the Sox just took a big gamble with Panda and Hanley. I think the Giants will try to make a big move w/ Tomas or Lester or both or maybe go after Headley, who knows, but the Panda situation probably turned out the best way for them, expect for not getting a great comp pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now we just lost another one... Tim Flannery stepping down as 3rd base coach. Great guy but some of those decisions to send Buster? lol!

Tim Flannery steps down as SF Giants? third-base coach - San Francisco Giants: The Splash

B3TzIwnCEAAVZ1r.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now we just lost another one... Tim Flannery stepping down as 3rd base coach. Great guy but some of those decisions to send Buster? lol!

Tim Flannery steps down as SF Giants? third-base coach - San Francisco Giants: The Splash

B3TzIwnCEAAVZ1r.jpg

He had a very distinct strategy... AGGRESSION.

That worked a lot, but there were certainly times where it made you scratch your head (Posey in the post-season being probably the loudest of his questionable moves).

What other aspects did he bring to the staff? I know Dunston was pretty much the infield coach and Kelly was the OF coach. Did Flann have his own specialty?

Who will replace him? Decker? Dunston? Burrell? Will Kelly shift over and someone else takes 1st? Someone from outside the org?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much every Giant fans loved Pablo, he was an entertaining player, and for a few years the only offensive player we had to get excited about. While it is sad to see him go, I totally agree with Cal. The Giants FO showed they continue to be loyal to their players in being right there money and year wise with their offer, but paying him 20mil a year for 6 years, I'm assuming that option vests, would have been bad for this organization. No one on the roster now is in line for a big payday coming up, so I think the Giants are set up pretty good financially for the next few years.

Pablo has been great for us in the past 2 world series runs, but when was the last time Pablo impacted the regular season? 2011? He only played 117 games that year put up 23HR 70 RBI 315/357/552/909. Other than that, 2009 was his only good full season. 25 HR 90 RBI 330/387/556/943.

In 2012-14-- 406 G 42 HR 215 RBI in 1509 AB w/ slash line of 280/335/424/759. Surprisingly, his numbers are better at home, career OPS of 853 at home and 771 on the road. That is including his best 2 years, 2009 and 2011. His numbers are on the road the past 3 years even worse, 712 OPS. I know OPS isn't everything, but just an indication of his declining production.

We may miss him next year depending upon who replaces him, but the Sox just took a big gamble with Panda and Hanley. I think the Giants will try to make a big move w/ Tomas or Lester or both or maybe go after Headley, who knows, but the Panda situation probably turned out the best way for them, expect for not getting a great comp pick.

(I assume 'expect' was meant to be 'except'. Not a rag, just explaining where I'm starting with my answer, and acknowledging that I make typos all the time as well.)

The Giants get the same pick no matter who he signs with - a first round supplemental pick. The difference is that the Sox don't lose their 1st round pick, which doesn't affect the Giants' pick.

Edit: the Giants don't get the other team's lost pick. That changed in the most recent CBA (before, they would have).