• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sam Howell is apparently our starter for 2023

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't compare most of those with today's very-QB-friendly rules. If Howell puts up your projected numbers the Cs will have one of the worst Os in the NFL. Those are exactly the kind of numbers that Zach Wilson put up per-game, and he's done. Howell won't be a true rookie any more.

He'll have to break 60% completion and keep his turnovers under control to not be a disaster (unless he makes crazy plays with his legs). Small yardage and TD totals are acceptable.
I really wasn't making the comparison to any of them, just pointing out how much of a long shot it is and has been for first-year starters coming out of the late rounds to perform well in their first year as starters and that's involving at least two of the best that has ever come from that draft status. Observationally, Washington and a large portion of its fan base aren't about being patient, you can either play or you can't and that begins when you first hit the field. Struggle and you're out, no second chances, there's history!

I'm not sure that you've followed my earlier posts but I have very little confidence in QBs drafted after the top five selections in the third round of drafts. I fully expect Howell to struggle at times, hoping for otherwise is great but realistically he will struggle at times. That is normal for all players playing in the NFL, especially rookies. (he's played in one (1) game.)

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you want to the team trade for Fields. lol. EB said he likes Howell. That has to mean something.
It might be coach speak...we don't know.
It is tough to say you like or dislike a QB after 20 professional passes.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, what do you expect from Howell? Washington is foolhardy to go into the season putting all of their hopes onto him. If anything he needs more time and that's one thing that they aren't giving him. I wrote and posted this after the Fitzpatrick signing, after the Wince trade and once again now, Washington does not have a starting caliber QB on its roster, and I'm not sure how anyone doesn't see this as desperation time! Who can say at this moment, with any degree of certitude that Sam Howell isn't the worse QB in the division? How about the conference? Things change but right now we have to contend with what is and not what we hope it to be. Seriously, aren't you exhausted from being sold hope year after year after year? Yes, Howell deserves a chance, but so do those other 52 guys in the locker room!!

There are 4 or 5 QB projected to go in the top nine picks, at least two of these teams will draft one and the other (likely the Raiders) will go after someone like Rodgers or Jimmy G.

The Bears have 8 draft picks in this upcoming draft, 5 of them are in the first four rounds. and let's not forget that $93M in cap space for free agency.
Please tell us you are a lawyer in real life brother.
I am on board the Fields train now sir.

EB needs to hit ground running and I think Fields gives him that. I like Howell from what I have seen and I liked his college tape.

That being said, I believe Fields is more talented than Howell. I know more about Fields than I do Howell. Howell could be the next Joe Montana, I don't know. I believe Fields could come in right away and be successful. We don't know that about Howell.

That being said, I doubt a trade works out because Rivera simply does not pull off good trades. Too many pieces have to be moved to make this happen. I don't think Rivera can pull it off.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be coach speak...we don't know.
It is tough to say you like or dislike a QB after 20 professional passes.

fair point. but he went up against a tough defense and did not disappoint.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Howell and I think he could be the answer. Loved his anger and guts in the Cowboys game. He is a warrior. EB might see something in him and thinks he can use him as the cornerstone of the offense.

The fact that Carr has not visited here makes me think EB might be telling the truth.

There again, I agree with Sty. If we have a shot at getting Fields without giving up the farm, I think he would be the better answer. Not sure EB wants Fields.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howell had a lot of success in college. He was a projected as a 1st round pick the year before he came out. If we protect him and he picks up EB's system, we should be ok. The guy has the arm and the legs to be successful. The Dalass game impressed me with Howell b/c the Cowboys had their defensive starters in basically the whole game, and he did fine. I know it's one game, but he flashed. Right now, the Bears do not have a lot of draft capital. An extra 4th in the draft and that's it. IF we won games with TH, we can defentily win games with Howell.
he's a rookie @Dean, rookies struggle at times in the NFL, 5th round or later rookies, his actual draft position really struggles especially one who doesn't have repetitive tools of QB'ing like Howell. Why are you holding onto what he was projected to be two years ago? Is it because it makes you "feel" better about the guy? Let me demonstrate in real time what you're doing. In your response, you wrote... " The guy has the arm and the legs to be successful." And I'm sure somehow, someway, it feeds your desire to feel better about him, but do you know what you also did? Omitted the most important part because that would shake your tentative confidence. That part? what's above his neck!!

Now, this is interesting!! " IF we won games with TH, we can definitely win games with Howell." think about what you wrote and who you are comparing Howell to, then remember how much you loved Heinicke!!:pound:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Howell and I think he could be the answer. Loved his anger and guts in the Cowboys game. He is a warrior. EB might see something in him and thinks he can use him as the cornerstone of the offense.

The fact that Carr has not visited here makes me think EB might be telling the truth.

There again, I agree with Sty. If we have a shot at getting Fields without giving up the farm, I think he would be the better answer. Not sure EB wants Fields.

Right big name qb's are not coming here. Which it should mean EB is on board with Howell. I think the Bears should keep Fields and trade down for more draft picks and build with him. Im sure there would be a trade market for Fields, The Bears probably going to want a 1st rounder.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's a rookie @Dean, rookies struggle at times in the NFL, 5th round or later rookies, his actual draft position really struggles especially one who doesn't have repetitive tools of QB'ing like Howell. Why are you holding onto what he was projected to be two years ago? Is it because it makes you "feel" better about the guy? Let me demonstrate in real time what you're doing. In your response, you wrote... " The guy has the arm and the legs to be successful." And I'm sure somehow, someway, it feeds your desire to feel better about him, but do you know what you also did? Omitted the most important part because that would shake your tentative confidence. That part? what's above his neck!!

Now, this is interesting!! " IF we won games with TH, we can definitely win games with Howell." think about what you wrote and who you are comparing Howell to, then remember how much you loved Heinicke!!:pound:

lol. no love for TH here. Of course, the mental game has to be there, but we don't know yet b/c he has only one NFL start. Be honest would you give up #16 for Fields? I already know the answer, but i want to see you type it,:D:D:D:D

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he did!!

If you were ONLY looking for positives then, of course, he didn't disappoint.

His positives were that he wasn't overwhelmed by the moment, threw a nice TD pass to his primary target, and ran with the ball.

His negatives were that he threw to his primary targets, one of which caused him to throw into triple coverage for an interception, and that he left potential passing gains on the field because he dropped his eyes and ran the ball.

QBs aren't judged by only the good things that they do, their negatives count too!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right big name qb's are not coming here. Which it should mean EB is on board with Howell. I think the Bears should keep Fields and trade down for more draft picks and build with him. Im sure there would be a trade market for Fields, The Bears probably going to want a 1st rounder.
Did you read what you write before submitting it? "Right big name qb's are not coming here."

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he did!!

If you were ONLY looking for positives then, of course, he didn't disappoint.

His positives were that he wasn't overwhelmed by the moment, threw a nice TD pass to his primary target, and ran with the ball.

His negatives were that he threw to his primary targets, one of which caused him to throw into triple coverage for an interception, and that he left potential passing gains on the field because he dropped his eyes and ran the ball.

QBs aren't judged by only the good things that they do, their negatives count too!

no doubt. he didn't play a perfect game. He played well enough against a good defense to get people excited about him.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never saw so many guys that wanted a 3 win QB.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. no love for TH here. Of course, the mental game has to be there, but we don't know yet b/c he has only one NFL start. Be honest would you give up #16 for Fields? I already know the answer, but i want to see you type it,:D:D:D:D
If the plan is geared towards not retaining Payne I would trade him and something else for Fields. If it came down to Chicago wanting our first for him, in the now infamous words of one Dan Snyder on changing the team name ("in all caps") I WOULDN'T BLINK... DRAFT PICK #16 GOES TO CHICAGO FOR A DIFFERENCE-MAKER IN WASHINGTON! :nod::nod::nod: Happy??

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the plan is geared towards not retaining Payne I would trade him and something else for Fields. If it came down to Chicago wanting our first for him, in the now infamous words of one Dan Snyder on changing the team name ("in all caps") I WOULDN'T BLINK... DRAFT PICK #16 GOES TO CHICAGO FOR A DIFFERENCE-MAKER IN WASHINGTON! :nod::nod::nod: Happy??

lol. yes. I knew it.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no doubt. he didn't play a perfect game. He played well enough against a good defense to get people excited about him.
I'm a very difficult unimpressionable old coot and was not remotely excited about his performance. I certainly read the reviews here and was still unmoved in my evaluation of his performance. Competence is sometimes blinding and it is expressly blinding when the previous points of reference were Carson Wince and Taylor Heinicke! Think about that!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. yes. I knew it.
It could not have been difficult, I stated that Fields was and will be proven to be the best QB coming out of that draft. I stand by that declaration but ONLY if he's on a team that gives him what every successful QB has, even if that team turns out to be Chicago!

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a very difficult unimpressionable old coot and was not remotely excited about his performance. I certainly read the reviews here and was still unmoved in my evaluation of his performance. Competence is sometimes blinding and it is expressly blinding when the previous points of reference were Carson Wince and Taylor Heinicke! Think about that!

not remotely excited? That pretty strong.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could not have been difficult, I stated that Fields was and will be proven to be the best QB coming out of that draft. I stand by that declaration but ONLY if he's on a team that gives him what every successful QB has, even if that team turns out to be Chicago!

Its going to be interesting tracking what the Bears do this off-season.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's never had to do that and I've pointed out examples in that Dallas game to support the idea that it's going to be a difficult learning process at this stage in his career. Can he do it? I dunno!! Would it be wise to prepare for both success and failure...absolutely!!
i feel he could be a good qb but lets be real the jury is still out on this one