• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sam Darnold

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are our alternatives that don’t break the bank? Go cheap on a high pedigree guy who didn’t work out for a crappier franchise and see if it was him or the situation! Why not?

I concur.

Unfortunately we have a bunch of limited thinkers in this thread.

Giving up a 1, 1, 2, 2, Roquan+ for Watson doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are our alternatives that don’t break the bank? Go cheap on a high pedigree guy who didn’t work out for a crappier franchise and see if it was him or the situation! Why not?
High pedigree? The guy's a bum. Is he a high ceiling low floor guy? No. He's a low ceiling low floor guy. Don't let what happened on the NFL field not tell you his story. He is what his play says he is.

Right now, there's probably fans of teams looking for a QB, saying "Mitch Trubisky has a high upside potential...Let's get him! The Bears franchise could NEVER develop a QB...HIGH PEDIGREE." Guess what, said fan that's reading this? He's a bum.

There's only one difference between those "What about Mitch" fans right now and you. Rather than just sign the bum as a FA, you want to pay additional (draft pick-s) in order to acquire said bum. Nah.

Same barometer as I've used for a while now: Is the QB better than Cutler? Darnold? F*ck no. Then why waste our time? Cutler was whatever...Can we keep trying to improve upon that? (I give the Bears legitimate credit for TRYING to do that with the Trubisky draft pick...It failed...but it was a legit shot.) We spent quite a bit on Cutler and no, hindsight 20/20 has told us it wasn't worth it.

There were two QB's available (at least so far) this offseason legitimately that the answer would be yes. Stafford and Watson.

Stafford, as we've seen, the Bears DID try to go after...Obviously the Rams paid a haul for him, plus the whole "trading within the division" thing...so that's that.

Watson? We are razor thin in so many spots on our roster (for a multitude of reasons) that the move makes no sense.

So what are we left with? A QB carousel of bums.

I'd much rather use the pick(s) to acquire Darnold to just draft a rookie QB that actually DOES have a high ceiling. Or just sign a FA if we have to carry on the "We can get to the Super Bowl with just average QB play" charade. None of these potential FA/Trade QB moves, outside of a rookie sensation or a dream trade out of nowhere is making us significantly better in the near term. That's why they're all on the QB bum carousel in the first place.

I mean...We can't even "Let's make a deal" this proposition. Darnold is like 10 bucks in the hand vs Door #3." Just take door #3 if you're gonna sell out so cheap.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I concur.

Unfortunately we have a bunch of limited thinkers in this thread.

Giving up a 1, 1, 2, 2, Roquan+ for Watson doesn't sound very appealing to me.
Giving up any early pick is kind of revolting to me at this juncture. And to think that what it would take to obtain Watson today when we could have had him at ZERO LOSS of draft capital back in that draft sickens me. I'd like to see what an actual #1 pick looks like for a change. There are a lot of areas where the Bears need to improve or at the very least develop some depth. So it wouldn't bother me one bit in this coming draft if stayed put or instead of once again trading up and/or surrendering valuable early picks to obtain a veteran, if Pace went the opposite direction and traded back.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving up any early pick is kind of revolting to me at this juncture. And to think that what it would take to obtain Watson today when we could have had him at ZERO LOSS of draft capital back in that draft sickens me. I'd like to see what an actual #1 pick looks like for a change. There are a lot of areas where the Bears need to improve or at the very least develop some depth. So it wouldn't bother me one bit in this coming draft if stayed put or instead of once again trading up and/or surrendering valuable early picks to obtain a veteran, if Pace went the opposite direction and traded back.

Too bad it's only the 20th pick. If say we had a top 10 pick we would be in a much better position to draft or trade.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...It'll end up a disaster...but if we're all honest here...What, when we're talking QB, doesn't look like it is going to end up a disaster? So if it makes some of you happy...
I just heard rumors of the bears being interested in Derek Carr. Would you rather have him?

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High pedigree? The guy's a bum. Is he a high ceiling low floor guy? No. He's a low ceiling low floor guy. Don't let what happened on the NFL field not tell you his story. He is what his play says he is.

Right now, there's probably fans of teams looking for a QB, saying "Mitch Trubisky has a high upside potential...Let's get him! The Bears franchise could NEVER develop a QB...HIGH PEDIGREE." Guess what, said fan that's reading this? He's a bum.

There's only one difference between those "What about Mitch" fans right now and you. Rather than just sign the bum as a FA, you want to pay additional (draft pick-s) in order to acquire said bum. Nah.

Same barometer as I've used for a while now: Is the QB better than Cutler? Darnold? F*ck no. Then why waste our time? Cutler was whatever...Can we keep trying to improve upon that? (I give the Bears legitimate credit for TRYING to do that with the Trubisky draft pick...It failed...but it was a legit shot.) We spent quite a bit on Cutler and no, hindsight 20/20 has told us it wasn't worth it.

There were two QB's available (at least so far) this offseason legitimately that the answer would be yes. Stafford and Watson.

Stafford, as we've seen, the Bears DID try to go after...Obviously the Rams paid a haul for him, plus the whole "trading within the division" thing...so that's that.

Watson? We are razor thin in so many spots on our roster (for a multitude of reasons) that the move makes no sense.

So what are we left with? A QB carousel of bums.

I'd much rather use the pick(s) to acquire Darnold to just draft a rookie QB that actually DOES have a high ceiling. Or just sign a FA if we have to carry on the "We can get to the Super Bowl with just average QB play" charade. None of these potential FA/Trade QB moves, outside of a rookie sensation or a dream trade out of nowhere is making us significantly better in the near term. That's why they're all on the QB bum carousel in the first place.

I mean...We can't even "Let's make a deal" this proposition. Darnold is like 10 bucks in the hand vs Door #3." Just take door #3 if you're gonna sell out so cheap.
I’m only going to address a portion of this, because I think it is at the core of the Bears’ problem right now... You want to compare any replacement to Cutler... Why? Because statistically he was our best (in an era where he still vastly underperformed)? He put up numbers, but what was his overarching problem? He was a poor leader. The team didn’t like him.

Im looking more at the McMahon type. Let’s bring in a guy who is cofident AND can lead! Trubisky has potential, but he just seems to carry himself with a shattered confidence and everyone sees it! That’s why Darnold, if the Jets didn’t already ruin him, is intriguing to me. You don’t seem to grasp exactly how fucking bad the Jets have been! No, I guess he isn’t Peyton Manning, but a 2nd or 3rd is not an unreasonable price to find out if he was just in a situation where no human could survive... And its why I still have a desire to try Rosen.. Yeah, I hear he has a bit of an attitude, but he came out of college with high marks and went to two rotten teams and was thrown into fires that few could survive!

So fuck it, why not? What are we losing, the next Adam Shaheen?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard rumors of the bears being interested in Derek Carr. Would you rather have him?
Carr is hands down better than Trubisky or Foles, no questioning that. But I don't consider him elite by any stretch, and if the cost that it took to obtain Stafford is any indication, it would be too much IMHO to acquire his services. I realize that experienced starting QBs are at a premium these days - perhaps rightfully so. It's just that I'd like to hang onto our top draft choices for a couple of years and build up our trenches and overall depth.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last season maybe when we were looking for insurance for Mitch and we still had hope this team could go all the way with the right QB, I'd have said yes.

Now? Nope...Gimme the lotto ticket QB. If not, don't pay draft picks for a QB that is not elite. I want high ceiling...VERY HIGH ceiling out of anyone we look at. Gonna be honest, these past 2 seasons have been some of the most depressing "Dead Man Walking" sh*t I've ever witnessed as a fan. It might be because the wounds are fresh. But nobody in their right mind thought that our 2020 team was going to "make a run" despite the playoff berth. MAYBE squeak out ONE upset.

It's just not there...Let's build this team QB out from now on...starting right now. And said QB has to be elite or have elite potential...Nothing less. If it can't be done, keep trying. Trubisky was the wrong QB...but the move for him was the right move. Let's do more of that and less settling.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m only going to address a portion of this, because I think it is at the core of the Bears’ problem right now... You want to compare any replacement to Cutler... Why? Because statistically he was our best (in an era where he still vastly underperformed)? He put up numbers, but what was his overarching problem? He was a poor leader. The team didn’t like him.

Im looking more at the McMahon type. Let’s bring in a guy who is cofident AND can lead! Trubisky has potential, but he just seems to carry himself with a shattered confidence and everyone sees it! That’s why Darnold, if the Jets didn’t already ruin him, is intriguing to me. You don’t seem to grasp exactly how fucking bad the Jets have been! No, I guess he isn’t Peyton Manning, but a 2nd or 3rd is not an unreasonable price to find out if he was just in a situation where no human could survive... And its why I still have a desire to try Rosen.. Yeah, I hear he has a bit of an attitude, but he came out of college with high marks and went to two rotten teams and was thrown into fires that few could survive!

So fuck it, why not? What are we losing, the next Adam Shaheen?

Cutler was a failure. I use him as a barometer because if a QB is anywhere in or near his category, I don't want that QB. How much better is Carr than Cutler, if at all? Not nearly enough to pass up moving on to the next, hopefully stud, QB sooner. Let's find a REAL franchise QB...not somebody else's retread. Especially at cost higher than McCaskey cash, ie: draft picks and/or players.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely no to Carr. That guy is a complete tool.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An average Derek Carr season looks something like completing 359 passes in 557 attempts (64%) with 3900 yards, 25TDs, and 10 picks.

That's probably what you would consider Darnold to be capable of on a better team with some development. And he's far younger.

Neither option is super exciting. I wouldn't want to give up a 1st round pick for either. But for a 2nd or 3rd....yeah probably.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season maybe when we were looking for insurance for Mitch and we still had hope this team could go all the way with the right QB, I'd have said yes.

Now? Nope...Gimme the lotto ticket QB. If not, don't pay draft picks for a QB that is not elite. I want high ceiling...VERY HIGH ceiling out of anyone we look at. Gonna be honest, these past 2 seasons have been some of the most depressing "Dead Man Walking" sh*t I've ever witnessed as a fan. It might be because the wounds are fresh. But nobody in their right mind thought that our 2020 team was going to "make a run" despite the playoff berth. MAYBE squeak out ONE upset.

It's just not there...Let's build this team QB out from now on...starting right now. And said QB has to be elite or have elite potential...Nothing less. If it can't be done, keep trying. Trubisky was the wrong QB...but the move for him was the right move. Let's do more of that and less settling.

love this post...........

I too am so sick and damn ired of mot having an elite qb.........ive watched this team since 1975 and the closest id have to say was McMahon..........

We need a qb NOW!!

Problem is,Watons price is huge..........we all know what he is top talent at the qb position in the NFL..............And at 25 yrs old,he has ALOT of years left in him...........
Im actually all for it.........QB is thee most important position to have and to give up one of our def players,YOU DO IT.............Who would not want a talented qb of his caliber for the next 12 years atleast.................?.........something weve been sorely missing.

Revamp the oline in fa,maybe find a replacement for ARob if he leaves and the player to be named in said trade.........
Weve found out that Pace is capable of finding players in the later rounds.(Kmet,Mooney and montgomery come to mind) of the draft.....free agency is another option.......

No.1s do us no good when you cant hit on them............

And another option thats been brought up is Derek Carr..........
Im on that train too..............hes no Watson,but any qb weve had in a while is not a Carr either............

If LV is willling to take a no.1 and if needed a no.2 added,Im for it............

As for the draft,Id like to see jones,but theres no guaranteeing how hed pan out in the NFL or if he would even be there when our pick arrives...............

One thing for sure,Trubisky,Foles and Darnold is not the answer to our problems.................This is the price you pay to get top caliber qbs............We are just gonna have to deal with it...............