• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Salary Cap/Contract Question

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should hopefully be a pretty quick thread. I was thinking about the upcoming free agent classes and the fact that the cba is expected to change in a couple of years with the salary cap increasing at the time.

That seems to be the reason behind Lebron only agreeing to a 2 year deal with the Cavs.

My question is this:

If a team wants to sign a player to a 4-5 year deal, but the player doesn't want to potentially lose money when the salary cap increases, can a clause be added to the contract that allows an increase to that players salary based on how much the cap increases?

So, if the cap increases by 10% (for example) then the team is also allowed to increase that players salary by 10%.

Anyone know?

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clause would most likely be agreed upon within the actual CBA.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.... That appears to be where they are headed. Max salaries will be a thing of the past because the top guys will be playing for a percentage of the cap.

Look at it like the derrick Rose rule where he and guys like Paul George get like 30 % of the cap if they meet certain incentives like the all nba team or all star team two of 3 years...etc...I think Kyrie and Blake have it in their contracts too. Now it will be the norm instead of just for one guy per team.

Pretty soon there will be guys making 30 mil plus.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.... That appears to be where they are headed. Max salaries will be a thing of the past because the top guys will be playing for a percentage of the cap.

Look at it like the derrick Rose rule where he and guys like Paul George get like 30 % of the cap if they meet certain incentives like the all nba team or all star team two of 3 years...etc...I think Kyrie and Blake have it in their contracts too. Now it will be the norm instead of just for one guy per team.

Pretty soon there will be guys making 30 mil plus.

:shocked:

I was born in the wrong era. - Kobe :lol:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should hopefully be a pretty quick thread. I was thinking about the upcoming free agent classes and the fact that the cba is expected to change in a couple of years with the salary cap increasing at the time.

That seems to be the reason behind Lebron only agreeing to a 2 year deal with the Cavs.

My question is this:

If a team wants to sign a player to a 4-5 year deal, but the player doesn't want to potentially lose money when the salary cap increases, can a clause be added to the contract that allows an increase to that players salary based on how much the cap increases?

So, if the cap increases by 10% (for example) then the team is also allowed to increase that players salary by 10%.

Anyone know?

Yes and no. If its a true max player like a Lebron, their salary isn't a fixed number but is instead a % of the team's salary cap. I'm not positive on this but for this to apply, you have to have X amount of years in the league, 9 or 10 I think. If you're salary isn't a percentage of the cap, then it's in your best interest to NOT sign a long term deal until 2016. Because if you sign it now, your salary is fixed and will not increase with the cap. There is no clause that can correct this and really, it'd be foolish for a team to do this because you're costing yourselves cash.