• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Salary Cap and expansion talk.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ntc/NMC option is the odd one
A player with one should have to be protected. Otherwise teams that hand out no trade clauses like candy could protect their entire team.
Just a simple case if Quick had a ntc(he doesn't ) the Kings could protect both goalies.

GM will find ways to protect players. Sign a AHL player, with little chance of making the big club this year but should in a few years, to an AHL only deal. Now he is not eligible for the expansion draft. Sign players to one year deals. Now they are UFA players and not subject to the draft. Of course they could just leave.

Still think if Vegas is the only team they could be very good. Anderson as a starting goalie ( or better). Seven or Eight proven #4 d-men. At least 12-15 proven third line forwards and money for UFAs for the top line ( no state income tax) Some guys would sign there.

I haven't looked at who would be available but they should be able to win some games

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ntc/NMC option is the odd one
A player with one should have to be protected. Otherwise teams that hand out no trade clauses like candy could protect their entire team.
Just a simple case if Quick had a ntc(he doesn't ) the Kings could protect both goalies

Not necessarily, teams don't hand them out too often, only to big name players mainly or to a player they needed to sweeten the deal for. If that's the case, they are likely part of a long term plan for the team and can't be exposed because of the NMC I would think - why waste a protected spot on a player who can't be moved without his permission anyway?

The interesting thing to me is actually the NTC, not the NMC. Kopitar has the full NMC so any move should be invalid without his consent. Now unless there is specific language on newer contracts addressing Expansion Drafts, earlier long term deals with NMCs/NTCs probably don't address the probability of an Expansion Draft (I'm essentially saying it doesn't say you CAN'T expose a player with a NMC/NTC so I would think it's legal to do so but I see serious flak coming from the NHLPA if teams choose to do that). This is interesting to me because an NTC specifically addresses trades - it does not address demotions, waivers or Expansion Drafts (unless the language is there like I stated).

This means Brown could be exposed and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it. NMC...whole different ball game unless that too, doesn't address Expansion Drafts.

GM will find ways to protect players. Sign a AHL player, with little chance of making the big club this year but should in a few years, to an AHL only deal. Now he is not eligible for the expansion draft. Sign players to one year deals. Now they are UFA players and not subject to the draft. Of course they could just leave.

That's a lot of work to protect a player, I honestly don't see this happening with the 50 contracts on the books at any time on the NHL team and 90 total prospects/players limit.

Still think if Vegas is the only team they could be very good. Anderson as a starting goalie ( or better). Seven or Eight proven #4 d-men. At least 12-15 proven third line forwards and money for UFAs for the top line ( no state income tax) Some guys would sign there.

I haven't looked at who would be available but they should be able to win some games

Vegas is going to get it IMO, Bettman loves his non-traditional markets for Expansion Teams. Vegas has the population and economy to support an NHL team, unlike Phoenix and Atlanta. He will push ffor Nevada, not to mention how easy it is to do business in that state without all the regulations and such that other states/provinces would have. It would be a cash cow for the team and the league.

FF has always been a success there, not to mention the visitors and tourists who frequent - they will have no problem filling that arena up either with locals or visitors.

I like how they mentioned that the players exposed need to account for at least 25% of the total cap. In LA's case, that means approximately $14.5 million, which means for sure at least one of the $4+ million deal players will be exposed. Brown comes to mind immediately barring anything changing on the NMC/NTC issue.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking that the PA will fight to make sure NMC/and NTC are honored. The rule isn't written to include expansion. The problem would be other team ( like the Kings
) would fight that a NMC should count as one of the protected players. Otherwise some teams could protect the 11 allowed plus the number of NMC they have. If that is 3 or 4 guys that could really help a team. 15 is much better than 11.

Brown is a tricky issue. His says he can pick several teams he can't be traded to. Depending on the ruling he may have to be protected.

I think an expansion team would look at young Kings /Reign defense men. As much as I would like them to steal Brown from the Kings, that is money better spent on UFAs.

I was really just trying to point out that once the NHL writes rules, GMs will find ways to bend them.

As for Vegas getting a team. I think they will. If Bettman was smart he would have moved the Yotes there when he had a chance.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“The CBA doesn't address it specifically,” Daly said. “I would say the CBA would kind of leave to us the discretion ... would certainly contemplate the ability to expose no-move contracts in an expansion draft context. But that's not how we're approaching it. We're approaching as something we want to discuss with the players association and figure out what the right answer is.”

Exactly what I was saying above - the CBA doesn't say you can't expose these players.

I think the NHLPA will not cooperate at all with that, which makes moving a guy like Brown tough. What it will do however is make sure these NMC/NTCs are addressed as they relate to Expansion Drafts in the future on all new contracts for players moving forward.

Players will ask for larger bucks in lieu of these NMC/NTC if there is another Expansion Draft possible during that said player's new deal.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHLPA agreed to stay out of the way of Expansion, which was high on the priority list of things to get handled prior to any potential Expansion Draft.

NHL Players’ Association won't stand in the way of expansion

Long story short, just as I thought above - players with NMCs will have to be protected, players with NTCs do not.

Kopitar will be protected as he is the only player currently with an NMC (well Lucic too but his current contract expires 6/30/16) but the Kings just found a way out of Brown's contract since he has an NTC only. If he is not traded this summer - he should be actively shopped - he will be exposed in the Expansion Draft in June 2017.