• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saints on grass

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aldon has been very good against the run in his limited snaps. Just on a hunch I'm sure if Aldon doesn't have more tfl's then he is close, also on a hunch I bet that Aldon has more passes defended or at least damn close.

Aldon Smith Stats - San Francisco 49ers - ESPN
Parys Haralson Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - San Francisco 49ers - ESPN
Also, remeber Aldon played limited action, no reason he should have more total tackles than PH, except for the obvious, PH isn't as good. There also isn't a stat showing Aldon's million and 1 qb hurries.

ok, then if Aldon is just as good against the run, there shouldn't be a problem. if Aldon is the best OLB next season, doubt our Coaches will purposely keep him from starting.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they play different roles and when aldon is in we play more of a 4-3.

Aldon has been playing stand up more as of lately. If we run the nickle (as we should) then Aldon should get the pt over PH too. Either way you want to look at he should be getting the pt over an ineffective PH.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, then if Aldon is just as good against the run, there shouldn't be a problem. if Aldon is the best OLB next season, doubt our Coaches will purposely keep him from starting.

Next season isn't the question, I'm talking about on the 14th.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Next season isn't the question, I'm talking about on the 14th.

again, you can't start him ONLY because he can sack the QB?

if he could defend the run better NOW, he'd BE starting.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aldon has been playing stand up more as of lately. If we run the nickle (as we should) then Aldon should get the pt over PH too. Either way you want to look at he should be getting the pt over an ineffective PH.

if you ONLY compare sacks, yes PH is ineffective. but then again, he's taken out most passing downs too.

to me PH plays the run well. can't say he's been consistent all season, but he plays the run.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've seen Aldon play the run very well, hold his poa very well, as well as rush the passer very well. I'm sure your the ONLY ONE that doesn't agree. As far as what goes on in practice, well I don't know? Looking at game play AS is a much better all around player than PH. I'm also including dropping back in coverage, as well as reading screens. I'm sure they haven't started him yet to make sure he's at full speed for those passing downs, since he's shown that he can get to the qb at will. I remember this training camp he was having a hard time with his wind. I don't mind a rotation, just not so much during playoff time. You'll see, PH's minutes will be cut drastically. During these playoffs we'll be playing teams that flat out sling, what Aldon brings to the table all around is waaayy more valuable. I'm pretty sure that we come out playing nickle (as long as it's the Saints)and there is no way anyone can tell me that PH will be in over Aldon. :lalala:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aldon usually plays on passing downs, so if we're in nickle it will be aldon out there

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've seen Aldon play the run very well, hold his poa very well, as well as rush the passer very well. I'm sure your the ONLY ONE that doesn't agree. As far as what goes on in practice, well I don't know? Looking at game play AS is a much better all around player than PH. I'm also including dropping back in coverage, as well as reading screens. I'm sure they haven't started him yet to make sure he's at full speed for those passing downs, since he's shown that he can get to the qb at will. I remember this training camp he was having a hard time with his wind. I don't mind a rotation, just not so much during playoff time. You'll see, PH's minutes will be cut drastically. During these playoffs we'll be playing teams that flat out sling, what Aldon brings to the table all around is waaayy more valuable. I'm pretty sure that we come out playing nickle (as long as it's the Saints)and there is no way anyone can tell me that PH will be in over Aldon. :lalala:

not saying i don't agree, but it appears you want Aldon to start because he can rush the passer? at first, you didn't mention his ability to defend run? to me, 'starter' is someone who'll play 1st and 2nd downs, where runs are more likely.

already said IF Aldon is just as good defending the run, yeah do start him over PH. but if the Coaches (not me) felt this NOW, wouldn't he be starting now?

now if we specifically plan for nickel all next game, then of course Aldon can start. but you didn't say this earlier, or did you?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not saying i don't agree, but it appears you want Aldon to start because he can rush the passer? at first, you didn't mention his ability to defend run? to me, 'starter' is someone who'll play 1st and 2nd downs, where runs are more likely.

already said IF Aldon is just as good defending the run, yeah do start him over PH. but if the Coaches (not me) felt this NOW, wouldn't he be starting now?

now if we specifically plan for nickel all next game, then of course Aldon can start. but you didn't say this earlier, or did you?

Your not telling the truth right now. This was the first post you responed to
"If Aldon isn't starting over PH come playoff time I might go tackle Harbaugh myself".
Where in that post did you get that I wanted him to start because he's good at rushing the passer (which is part of the reason)? I didn't give any specifics until you replied, then I went on to explain how good of an overall player he is compared to PH.

Also, again I will explain to you that the COACHES can't believe that Haralson is better against the run, they can think he's more experienced against the run. I also believe that it's just the rotation they'd rather use to make sure Aldon in at full speed against the pass. So to answer your question, no, I don't think he'd be starting now because the whole defense is playing the run so well, no need to throw Aldon in the mix on 1st, 2nd or whenever they feel it's a running down, when they could conserve his energy to go all out vs the pass.

As far as on Jan. 14, I expect us to be playing the Saints, so I expect Aldon to be a starter, as well as playing the bulk minutes over Paryas Haralson.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Your not telling the truth right now. This was the first post you responed to
"If Aldon isn't starting over PH come playoff time I might go tackle Harbaugh myself".
Where in that post did you get that I wanted him to start because he's good at rushing the passer (which is part of the reason)? I didn't give any specifics until you replied, then I went on to explain how good of an overall player he is compared to PH.

Also, again I will explain to you that the COACHES can't believe that Haralson is better against the run, they can think he's more experienced against the run. I also believe that it's just the rotation they'd rather use to make sure Aldon in at full speed against the pass. So to answer your question, no, I don't think he'd be starting now because the whole defense is playing the run so well, no need to throw Aldon in the mix on 1st, 2nd or whenever they feel it's a running down, when they could conserve his energy to go all out vs the pass.

As far as on Jan. 14, I expect us to be playing the Saints, so I expect Aldon to be a starter, as well as playing the bulk minutes over Paryas Haralson.

didn't mean to start an argument, just wanted to know why you felt Aldon should start? i suspected you were carring over the euphoria from his sacking ability?

anyways, mahalo for answering my question, so unless we're committing to the nickel on all downs, Aldon shouldnt' start.....yet.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't mean to start an argument, just wanted to know why you felt Aldon should start? i suspected you were carring over the euphoria from his sacking ability?
anyways, mahalo for answering my question, so unless we're committing to the nickel on all downs, Aldon shouldnt' start.....yet.

I can appreciate that you can admit what happened. There are so many people in the world that would've tried to make the other person believe that they said something else. That is a good quality that you possess.
Go Niners and all that!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Not if the coaches think it's more effective to allow him to focus on rushing the passer. If he is a slight improvement against the run, but starting and playing more downs detracts from his pass rushing, that's a net loss.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

As for this, I think that depends on our opponent. The Saints ran approximately 700 pass plays this season (attempts + sacks + a few of the QB rushes). The ran approximately 420 run plays. The Packers came in at nearly 600 pass plays (Rodgers ran 60 times, many of them scrambles) and 350 run plays. If we face either of those teams, we would be silly to put our best run-stopping unit on the field rather than our best pass defense. Especially against the Packers who averaged 3.9 YPC despite rarely seeing heavy defensive fronts.

I see later on you accounted for a nickle-heavy game. Given the NFC field, unless we're playing Atlanta, that seems like an exceedingly likely approach.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not if the coaches think it's more effective to allow him to focus on rushing the passer. If he is a slight improvement against the run, but starting and playing more downs detracts from his pass rushing, that's a net loss.

its the same as any position, you start the best player.

take all the other sack masters in the NFL, you think this applies to anyone? which ones are held out on 1st and 2nd downs cause it detracts from their pass rushing?

if Aldon is a slight improvement against the run, no way he's be on the bench.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As for this, I think that depends on our opponent. The Saints ran approximately 700 pass plays this season (attempts + sacks + a few of the QB rushes). The ran approximately 420 run plays. The Packers came in at nearly 600 pass plays (Rodgers ran 60 times, many of them scrambles) and 350 run plays. If we face either of those teams, we would be silly to put our best run-stopping unit on the field rather than our best pass defense. Especially against the Packers who averaged 3.9 YPC despite rarely seeing heavy defensive fronts.

I see later on you accounted for a nickle-heavy game. Given the NFC field, unless we're playing Atlanta, that seems like an exceedingly likely approach.

ALREADY said, if we intend to go nickel from the get go, then of course Aldon will start.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry for going back to the original message of the thread...

but they better start letting that grass grow at Candlestick.

Get it nice, and long, and wet.

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for going back to the original message of the thread...

but they better start letting that grass grow at Candlestick.

Get it nice, and long, and wet.

That's what she said. :lol:

But yea, I agree.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsoncrew

ALREADY said, if we intend to go nickel from the get go, then of course Aldon will start.

Brees; Is the hottest QB in the NFL now! We need to pull out all stops!! Go 49ers!!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsoncrew

Brees; Is the hottest QB in the NFL now! We need to pull out all stops!! Go 49ers!!

Hey, Robert...you guys got snow up there in the valley this year?

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Been very light this winter. Normal for this time MW49ers5 is about 44 inches we have had about 8. The Spring runoff may suffer if this keeps up! No snow on the ground now just chilly wind:)