• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saints game notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Saw a mention last week on here from somebody (don't remember the person) about the 49ers inability to "still stop the deep pass when they need to." I just heard Jaws say this:

The 49ers defense has faced 35 deep balls (balls that travel more than 20 yards downfield). Teams have only completed 6 of those, best in the NFL.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is more along the lines of what I meant with lying about Smith not being cleared from his concussion to give CK more time. I just didn't say it as eloquently.

So I guess what you meant with Alex Smith being in on it was that he's not the one to publicly question the coach, not that he was happy to do it for the team? Like he would allow that to happen but not be strategizing with the coach - because unless he's at big risk of permanent injury (more than pre-concussion), letting Kaep start instead cannot be good for him, if he can help it ("in on it" sounded like he had a say).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick transcript: ‘We both want to do what’s best for the team’

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/..._campaign=Feed:+49ersHotRead+(49ers+Hot+Read)

I was a Niner fan long before Smith was drafted, but everyone knows that I am a Smith supporter, having followed his college career (lived in Utah at the time). Having said that, despite my fandom of Smith, this interview makes it difficult to be biased against Kaep (his play, of course, does too). I used to think his occassional tweets were obnoxious, mainly because I saw him as a threat to Smith - I always thought when you get your opportunity and make the most of it, then it sits well with me. Before that, shut up. He's done that now, he's earned it.

But now when he's an even bigger threat, the class that he shows in his responses impresses me. Some do it because they've been PR-coached, but I think Colin is mature enough and classy. Great to have him on this team, not just for the football play.

P.S. I'm only talking about the tweets bugging me, his play that threatens Smith is a great thing for this team and I'm all for that. I feel if Kaep takes over it's because he's better than Smith. I just didn't want it to be because Smith played terribly and lost games for the team.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Saw a mention last week on here from somebody (don't remember the person) about the 49ers inability to "still stop the deep pass when they need to." I just heard Jaws say this:

The 49ers defense has faced 35 deep balls (balls that travel more than 20 yards downfield). Teams have only completed 6 of those, best in the NFL.

That is a good stat to know;this stat will be tested this weekend in the NO. We got a test vs Det but this will be different as Brees is one the elite QB's in the league.

On a side note I was kinda surprised to see a few times Marshall had single coverage on him and then on the touchdown (though not a long pass) he was still in single coverage, Culliver was beat, looked as if he mis timed his jump.

I think Rodgers can handle Colston one on one but to me we gotta nullify Graham.

Just my thoughts....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd rather just go with one. bouncing back and forth isn't gonna work.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is my opinion for the NEXT game, let both of them play. they were already doing this two (three?) games ago. this assumes Alex is 100% clear, and if there is any doubt, sit him.

depending on game conditions and how it goes, Kap can stay in longer and not limited to the read option.

Using Kap for specific plays is not the same as splitting time, which is never a good idea.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Doug Farrar:

Niners make blitzing tough now. Smith is one of the best QBs vs. blitz because Harbaugh sets up hots vs. pressure.

And if you sell out interior LB blitzes (as Spags seems to like to do), you're susceptible to counters/traps 49ers like to run.

Best strategy to me is to identify first reads in coverage and clamp down. Keep your run spaces together & wait for a mistake.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Barrows:

Alex Smith still the man in black, not yet cleared for contact.

Yes, there's a presser. But it's with Fangio/Roman, not Harbaugh ... :(

------------------

Cam Inman:

49ers update: Alex Smith in no-contact (no-starting?) jersey yet again, as is CB Chris Culliver. Media booted before team reps (as usual)

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Maiocco:

49ers OC Greg Roman said no QB decision has been made and Alex Smith has not been cleared.

-----------------

Tim Kawakami:

49ers OC Greg Roman says "no decision has been made" at QB. But it's Thursday, team flies tomorrow. I'm sure they know by now.

-----------------

Matt Barrows:

Greg Roman said the hope is that Alex Smith is fully cleared Friday; he has not been cleared yet.

------------------

Cam Inman:

49ers Greg Roman disputes that they've decided on starting QB, adds that Alex Smith not cleared & will be tested Friday