• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Safe to label J. Davis a bust yet?

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know his second season isn't even halfway through yet and he is learning a new defense but this guy is either a slow learner or just not very good.

There were multiple runs where he was easily taken out of the play or noooooowhere near the football.

What do you guys think about this guy?
Maybe I am missing something here but he doesn't look like a very good player at all. Let alone a serviceable starter.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarrod Davis made some nice plays all things considered. But Tabor is a true bust.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was awesome the week before. Inconsistent is not heard of fir a young player. Not a bust yet, but trending that way.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarrod Davis made some nice plays all things considered. But Tabor is a true bust.

I was shocked we took a CB who ran a 4.7 40 yard dash in the second round. Like, who the fuck is he supposed to keep up with? Even TE's in the NFL are faster than that.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was awesome the week before. Inconsistent is not heard of fir a young player. Not a bust yet, but trending that way.

Seems like the dude would of played better when you have a pro bowl caliber run stuffing DT in front of him this week.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was shocked we took a CB who ran a 4.7 40 yard dash in the second round. Like, who the fuck is he supposed to keep up with? Even TE's in the NFL are faster than that.

On some plays, it looks like he runs 7.4...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On some plays, it looks like he runs 7.4...

Thats because he is running in a circle. Not as bad as our O-line though. Those guys look like they have no clue whats going on. Our blocking scheme looks like one of those old vibrating football games from the 70s where the guys just spin around.

iu

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Non pass rushing Linebackers should almost never be drafted in the 1st they are a low priority position like RB, WR, TE, Kicker, and Punter.

2. BQ should have brought in his new staff immediately the reason he didn't was so he could slowly fire guys off and point to them as excuses to extend his tenure. Instead he wasted a couple drafts/FA seasons on guys that don't fit our current scheme.

3. Yes half a season in a scheme you weren't drafted to play in is to early to label the guy a bust. He's a 43 LB it may take him awhile to adapt or he may never adapt. Just look at Van Noy 34 LB drafted by our 43 team square peg round hole gets traded to a 34 team and now he's thriving.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Non pass rushing Linebackers should almost never be drafted in the 1st they are a low priority position like RB, WR, TE, Kicker, and Punter.

Not so sure about RB or WR. Great ones can open up offenses a lot. Great RB helps setup playaction for the QB. Great WR's makes the DEF play honest and not all creep up to the line of scrimmage.

Agree on all the rest of the positions. Even though I'm conflicted on the non rushing linebacker though. Players like Kuechley and CJ Mosely do make a huge impact on a defense. Problem is that Davis just isn't as good as them and probably never will be. He was just a reach pick by Quinn. Along with the Tabor pick. Both really good college players without the skills to play NFL ball.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Patricia explains why Jarrad Davis has it harder than most LBs

But head coach Matt Patricia pointed out yet another disadvantage Davis has had over his young career: the lack of a mentor at the position.

“He’s one of our better players and he’s out there in front, and it’s hard, because there hasn’t been that consistent, dynamic guy next to him that maybe has 10 years of experience,” Patricia said during the media breakfast at the owners meetings this week.

And with a schematic change, Patricia noted just how important it was to have someone he called a “lineage-transfer” or a veteran player that can help teach the endless intricacies of the position in the new scheme.

“I had that situation before where I brought in a young linebacker but he sat next to guys that have been in the league, they’re All Pro, Super Bowl champion guys that have been in the league 10, 12 years,” Patricia said. “The knowledge that you get instantly, within a year or two of sitting next to those guys, it’s so valuable, and that’s something that JD hasn’t really had.”

Unfortunately for Davis, it appears he may be headed into his third season without that mentor. The Lions have not signed another linebacker this free agency and the only players with multiple years under Patricia’s system are Trey Flowers, Justin Coleman and Tavon Wilson.

Patricia said it’s on him and the coaching staff to compensate for Davis’ lack of a mentor.

“We’ve got to keep giving it to him as much as possible, and that’s what keeps me up at night,” Patricia said. “Those are the thing I want to make sure that I can do to help him just be a better player, be a better person, be a better leader, all of it.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

Why hasn't the two BQ/MP done anything to change this still. I get it that they tried to sign Barr and some wishful rumors regarding the hopeful prospect of signing CJ Mosley but those two (BQ/MP) have yet to get a Vet LB signed to help mold, teach, play next to J. Davis. These non-moves could have a continuing negative impact of growth for their 1st round draft pick.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nigel Bradham was available last year and Jordan Hicks was available this year (neither are 10-12 year pro's like what was suggested in the article) and maybe neither of those two were a fit for MP or possibly money might have been an issue. Either of those two players should have been considered an upgrade over Christian Jones.

I could see Bradham wanting to stay in Philly for another chance at a SB versus coming to Detroit (not stating that Bradham wasn't targeted by either BQ/MP).

The fact remains BQ/MP are now relying on players who aren't playing Davis' position to help him along.

Typical non-moves and B.S. by both BQ/MP. imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another thought I have is, why hasn't MP reached out to Ninkovich or Bruschi to help mentor J. Davis (in the off-season) similar to what Slay did when he received some mentoring from Rod Woodson.

Obviously a player still playing the game and on the same team who has the experience would be more beneficial but something needs to be done to help Davis progress.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

Why hasn't the two BQ/MP done anything to change this still. I get it that they tried to sign Barr and some wishful rumors regarding the hopeful prospect of signing CJ Mosley but those two (BQ/MP) have yet to get a Vet LB signed to help mold, teach, play next to J. Davis. These non-moves could have a continuing negative impact of growth for their 1st round draft pick.

Yeah. It seems like lip service. Say it's because he has no mentors. Then him and Quinn bring no mentors on. Old case of actions speak louder than words.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

Yeah. It seems like lip service. Say it's because he has no mentors. Then him and Quinn bring no mentors on. Old case of actions speak louder than words.

We really need 2 LBs. Kennard is probably being moved to DE. Jones is barely a backup. Harold is gone. Reeves Maybin didnt prove he was capable. All we added was Kelvin Sheppard who is already 31. We need help bad.

I would be tempted to try to add a few pounds to Killibrew and make him a WILL at this point.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really need 2 LBs. Kennard is probably being moved to DE. Jones is barely a backup. Harold is gone. Reeves Maybin didnt prove he was capable. All we added was Kelvin Sheppard who is already 31. We need help bad.

I would be tempted to try to add a few pounds to Killibrew and make him a WILL at this point.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we go LB at #8 tbh. It's possibly our biggest need at this point. Unless these guys see a diamond in the rough in the later rounds but all pundits are saying that LB is by far the weakest group in this years draft. It would make a lot of sense for them to take one of the Devin's and let the strength of the draft (WR and DL) fall to them in the 2nd round.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Van Noy could've mentored, but NE needed a kickass LB more than we did.

Suck a dick Bob Quinn.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Van Noy could've mentored, but NE needed a kickass LB more than we did.

Suck a dick Bob Quinn.

Stop being disingenuous.

If we fired Caldwell sooner and hired Fat Mat before the trade then Van Noy would still be a Lion. He didnt fit Austin's scheme. Hit fits MPs. Even in MPs scheme he has some glaring weaknesses but at least he can do what he does best.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Killebrew sucks in coverage and that was his downfall coming out of Southern Utah. Furthermore, he played all of 1 or 2 defensive snaps the entire season last year. He was relegated to ST only outside of those snaps (ooops, I'm wrong on those 1-2 snaps. It was a total of Zero) I expect Killebrew to get the axe by final cutdown if not before.

Lions 2018 defensive snap counts: Breaking down playing time

One player you do not see on this list is Miles Killebrew, who did not have a single defensive snap on the season. After playing 353 defensive snaps last year—most of which came in the first half of the year—I think it’s fair to say Killebrew’s future is on its last leg.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions 2018 defensive snap counts: Breaking down playing time

Safety
Quandre Diggs: 948 (96.2%)
Glover Quin: 829 (84.2%)
Tavon Wilson: 304 (30.9%)
Tracy Walker: 211 (21.4%)

Quandre Diggs was the Lions’ do-all safety, and the Lions treated him that way. He was second on the team in defensive snaps and seemed to really make them count.

Though it felt like the Lions didn’t rely as much upon Glover Quin, he still manage to play 84 percent of snaps, sixth most of any other Lions defensive player.

Surprisingly, the Lions didn’t use their other safeties all that much. Tavon Wilson only played situationally, while Tracy Walker saw the majority of his playing time (148 snaps) in the final five games of the season.

One player you do not see on this list is Miles Killebrew, who did not have a single defensive snap on the season. After playing 353 defensive snaps last year—most of which came in the first half of the year—I think it’s fair to say Killebrew’s future is on its last leg.

BB_72; My belief is that you can expect another Safety drafted this year if that player is one who has dropped due to other positions being drafted, offers versatility in all three Safety positions and has previous experience as a former somewhat reliable CB in emergency situations.

I get it that Wilson got a salary cut and Andrew Abrams was signed but either of those could become expendable. Washington was re-signed but he's mostly a ST players and Gunner.

BQ/MP were talking with Delaware's Nassir Adderly and if more safeties come up on that private visit list it might be a tell or simply due diligence.