• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban & Bielema behind the kill uptempo offense rule

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the replay the other day FF through all plays except OU's. They might have done it once in the first half and it was questionable. I didn't check the second half. And for the record, OU played great against Alabama. Their own fans will tell you that they didn't see TK throw or play like that all year. Even their receivers made great catches when getting ripped right at contact. Just like A&M did in 2012. As for Auburn this year they were stopped on 8 out of their first 11 drives until the illegal play (blockers downfield) tied it up. So I'm not sure why everyone thinks Alabama is so weak against this offense.

For the record, at this meeting they are also looking at putting more of an emphasis on holding and blockers downfield that has slacked off big time over the years. That will impact these offense much more than this 10 second rule and that I can promise you!

I am all for looking at blocking down field and pucks. Those are actually things that are beyond a DC control. 10 second crap is not.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see that allowing a defense to put in situational down and distance defenses is fair either. That's what the hurry up was designed to combat and now that it is working some coaches are crying foul. Well, screw them. Play defense without having all those special defenses for every damn down and maybe the hurry up won't be so apt to being adopted by offensive coordinators.
So, let's say the O can't sub in RBs and WRs in certain down situations. See how stupid that is. So, why would you do that to the D?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, let's say the O can't sub in RBs and WRs in certain down situations. See how stupid that is. So, why would you do that to the D?

Right now the defense is allowed to sub if the offense does, so what's the problem. What Saban wants it the ability to make wholesale changes to his defense based on down and distance. If so, why not have a separate 11 and just run them out there as soon as possible. The hurry up doesn't always substitute though and he still wants 10 seconds to change his defense. How come you can't see that he wants an edge based on his style of playing only?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the bottom line is the HUNH has little to do with tempo and everything to do with trying to dictate what the defense can do. And this rule fixes that.

If you think this rule kills the HUNH, then it's because you recognize the tempo has little affect and the substitutions being denied is the bigger deal. In which case all I can say is - cry more.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://twitter.com/coach_frost/statuses/434455597610569728

Last edited by a moderator:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, or no - part of the design of HUNH offenses to get to the LOS so fast that the D doesn't have time to get subs in, let alone get set? Yes, or no? It is obviously Yes.

This rule is simply designed to even that out so that the D will have time to get subs in and get set. Now, will 10 seconds work? I don't know but assume those coming up with the rule do.

By the way, my team is actually one of the teams that runs up to the LOS and then take 25 seconds to get the play called. And, the purpose of that is to try and catch the D switching out players.

Here it is again. Talking about allowing the defense to get set. So basically it is about outlawing HUNH. I guess we need to inform NCAA basketball officials that the offense is required to allow the defense to get set. From this day forth we shall van the fastbreak in basketball and HUNH in football

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now the defense is allowed to sub if the offense does, so what's the problem. What Saban wants it the ability to make wholesale changes to his defense based on down and distance. If so, why not have a separate 11 and just run them out there as soon as possible. The hurry up doesn't always substitute though and he still wants 10 seconds to change his defense. How come you can't see that he wants an edge based on his style of playing only?

If you have a problem with the defense being able to substitute when it wants, then I don't give a fuck about your opinion.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not change formations? The defense is allowed to move where ever they want...why do you think the defense should have any advantage over an offense?
You make a good point, but it supports our argument. Football has evolved over time to try and keep it even between the O and D ... when things happened, like all sorts of O moving all over the place, I guess they decided the O had to get set. In some cases, the rules were specifically designed to give the edge to the O (I'm thinking NFL here, but the same applies to CFB), or to respond to changes in the game to bring it back into balance. All I've been saying is that I want more balance. Let the HUNH offenses keep up their pace, for the most part, but let the D substitute. That balances things, in my mind even though you will disagree.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here it is again. Talking about allowing the defense to get set. So basically it is about outlawing HUNH. I guess we need to inform NCAA basketball officials that the offense is required to allow the defense to get set. From this day forth we shall van the fastbreak in basketball and HUNH in football

If you think it's about outlawing the HUNH, then you obviously think the advantage of the HUNH is not in tempo, it's in dictating when the defense can substitute.

And on that note - do not give a fuck, cry more.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS: If we wanted to slow the game down, we could just go back to the 25 second play clock.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have a problem with the defense being able to substitute when it wants, then I don't give a fuck about your opinion.

Evidently you don't remember football before the advent of the nickel package. Worst thing that ever happened to the NFL, I've always thought it was an unfair tool given to the defense. If the hurry up has put it in danger of disappearing more power to the hurry up.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think it's about outlawing the HUNH, then you obviously think the advantage of the HUNH is not in tempo, it's in dictating when the defense can substitute.

And on that note - do not give a fuck, cry more.

Cry more? What are you 12? I think you may need a moment to gather your thoughts

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evidently you don't remember football before the advent of the nickel package. Worst thing that ever happened to the NFL, I've always thought it was an unfair tool given to the defense. If the hurry up has put it in danger of disappearing more power to the hurry up.

Correct, I did not watch the NFL before 1960.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cry more? What are you 12? I think you may need a moment to gather your thoughts

Tell me again how Saban is screwing you over.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nick-saban-crying.jpg

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell me again how Saban is screwing you over.

You are incoherently rambling. I am sure you thought you had a pt, but it is not coming across. Take a deep breath and try again.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think I am sucking Saban's dick? You haven't been reading what I've been saying.

- I don't like pinball football. An SECCG where you have a 59-42 score is a disgrace and isn't what I want CFB to be. My personal opinion.

- I want the D to be able to make wholesale changes ... why not? The O can. By rule the D can, but in practice the HUNH O precludes or limits it. I want the best O against the best D. What's wrong with that?

- Of course Saban wants an edge. So do the coaches who are objecting. I am shocked ... college football coaches advocating for things that are good for their team.