• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban & Bielema behind the kill uptempo offense rule

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll change my mind if someone can show me some footage of teams outside the final 2 minutes of play(where this rule will not be in effect) running plays consistently within 10 seconds of the previous play ending.

Since it's going to slow teams down so much and be the end of HUNH, it should be easy to find right?

And we'd like to see a list of DCs that are dying for this rule.......since it handcuffs them all so much, should be easy to find, right?

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wait. I thought this was all about safety not some unfairness to the defense and being able to get the defensive package personnel substituted.
I don't know the facts behind the safety argument, but I've been consistent in all my posts that I think it is BS. For me, it is a fairness issue that would improve the game.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically they just want to outlaw HUNH offenses? Is that right?
No. As all the articles have stated, the percentage of plays that are run within 10 seconds of the start of the 40 second play clock is very, very low. The pace will stay roughly the same. But, the D will have fresh players making the game more interesting to some of us.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we'd like to see a list of DCs that are dying for this rule.......since it handcuffs them all so much, should be easy to find, right?

Well I'm sure it won't be one from Texas since your team doesn't play defense.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know it's time someone spoke the truth instead of just hate! Saban voiced his opinion ONCE at a press conference. He has only commented on it WHEN ASKED and he says everytime, since the first time, that "It's not up to him but it seems to him they should look into it." When asked! I'll say it again. ONLY when asked! He doesn't go parading around talking about it. In fact he never mentioned it after the Auburn game, OU game or any others except the first time. As for being at the meeting, he was asked to attend and turned it down. He was concerned what it would look like to all you crybabies and he was right. He was asked again and told the committee really wanted to hear what he thought. That's it! However almost every post makes it sound like he was responsible for Obamacare or something! So keep talking about how he whined to get the rule changed but all it shows is the power he has over all of you too!!! :laugh3:

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can - and is - done by some teams. If the DC is competent he should be ready to change out a few players quickly after the play stops. I don't see how this is so hard to understand.
I don't see how hard it is for you to see that if what you are saying is true, we wouldn't have the discussion. A competent DC can only do so much when the O runs to the LOS and snaps the ball if the D subs.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. As all the articles have stated, the percentage of plays that are run within 10 seconds of the start of the 40 second play clock is very, very low. The pace will stay roughly the same. But, the D will have fresh players making the game more interesting to some of us.

This^^^WOW!^^^^ Somehow it's going to change the face of the game! :rollseyes:

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all the defense is asking for is 10 seconds to sub in players?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all the defense is asking for is 10 seconds to sub in players?

Yes, which starts as soon as the previous play is over.

They are still going to have to be quick to get it done, but it means they can actually get it done without the offense snapping the ball on them.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are still going to have to be quick to get it done, but it means they can actually get it done without the offense snapping the ball on them.

So if there aren't any offenses that snap the ball within 10 seconds of the clock starting anyway, why do we need the rule?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if there aren't any offenses that snap the ball within 10 seconds of the clock starting anyway, why do we need the rule?

Because they would snap the ball if there was no defense in place. The rule is a guarantee.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Just thought I'd mess with ya. :happy:
Nickrolld2_zps96bb190b.gif

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By rule, yes. But the O has found a way to keep that from happening. If this wasn't true, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Sorry, but running to the LOS to take signals does, in fact, inhibit the D from using their skill and preparation. Again, if this was not the case, we would not be having this discussion. The legislative mandate is designed to close a loophole in the rules. I think that is a good thing. You don't. We disagree.

You and Bammers say that the rule will have no effect on offenses, because they dont snap the ball inside 11 seconds. Seems to me if that is what you believe, than the defense always has 11 seconds per your belief

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's just a way for the coach to get in the special defense for down and distance, that's all. Hell, learn to play defense and this is a moot point.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I'm reading I don't think the rule passes so a lot of this discussion is moot.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and Bammers say that the rule will have no effect on offenses, because they dont snap the ball inside 11 seconds. Seems to me if that is what you believe, than the defense always has 11 seconds per your belief

Except they COULD snap it before then and WOULD if the defense isn't in place.

All the rule does is guarantee the defense can sub in that time without the offense snapping the ball.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll change my mind if someone can show me some footage of teams outside the final 2 minutes of play(where this rule will not be in effect) running plays consistently within 10 seconds of the previous play ending.

Since it's going to slow teams down so much and be the end of HUNH, it should be easy to find right?

Watch TTech or Okie State play and you'll see it more often than not...OU was able to do it 9 times in the Sugar Bowl and 19 times under 15 seconds.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch TTech or Okie State play and you'll see it more often than not...OU was able to do it 9 times in the Sugar Bowl and 19 times under 15 seconds.

10 seconds in the time of the previous play, or within the ball being set?

If you guys think the 10 seconds start when the ball is set, then you are wrong. The play clock starts at the end of the previous play.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except they COULD snap it before then and WOULD if the defense isn't in place.

All the rule does is guarantee the defense can sub in that time without the offense snapping the ball.

So basically you want to outlaw HUNH given that answer. You want 11 seconds to be in place regardless and the substitution and safety talk is simply a ploy.