• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban & Bielema behind the kill uptempo offense rule

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all boils down to Saban thinks he should be allowed to substitute freely on defense to wear down the opponents offense but a hurry up offense shouldn't be allowed to wear down his defense.

Exactly. This is nothing more than self preservation. Player safety my ass.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This definitely has nothing to do with player safety. That's a joke.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's for safety. Think of the kids guise.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What else?

I notice how defensive people tend to get when one attacks their coach but hypocritically attacks other team's coaches and make fun of Alabama fans for defending theirs? :noidea: I am not singleing OU out either. Just a comment about any team's fans unless their coach has sucked! :whistle:

As for what else? Besides bitching about the SEC in every way possible, I hate to tell you one win does not make his comments accurate as much as every OU fan would like to think. OU played their best game of the year, by far, and had a good team on top of that. Pretty sure SEC teams have taken care of Stoops coached teams to dismiss that issue? :noidea: And for the record, Stoops backed off those comments before the game and then felt courageous enough AFTER the game to bring it up again. He's also bitched about who should get into the BCS championship game, on several occasions. He's bitched about SEC recruiting, SEC QB's, SOS. Just a few things. Keep in mind it was an OU fan who said they were glad their coach didn't bitch like Saban? :suds:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I notice how defensive people tend to get when one attacks their coach but hypocritically attacks other team's coaches and make fun of Alabama fans for defending theirs? :noidea: I am not singleing OU out either. Just a comment about any team's fans unless their coach has sucked! :whistle:

As for what else? Besides bitching about the SEC in every way possible, I hate to tell you one win does not make his comments accurate as much as every OU fan would like to think. OU played their best game of the year, by far, and had a good team on top of that. Pretty sure SEC teams have taken care of Stoops coached teams to dismiss that issue? :noidea: And for the record, Stoops backed off those comments before the game and then felt courageous enough AFTER the game to bring it up again. He's also bitched about who should get into the BCS championship game, on several occasions. He's bitched about SEC recruiting, SEC QB's, SOS. Just a few things. Keep in mind it was an OU fan who said they were glad their coach didn't bitch like Saban? :suds:

So you can't give me another specific instance. Just general statements. No quotes, no links. Thanks.

Fyi, making true statements doesn't equal bitching. Stoops backed up everything he said about the SEC on his supposed judgement day.

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all boils down to Saban thinks he should be allowed to substitute freely on defense to wear down the opponents offense but a hurry up offense shouldn't be allowed to wear down his defense.

Link please? Also, it is not all about safety, although one would think more plays would lead to more injuries, it is also about equitability. Go figure, all this bitching when a rule actually in favor of the defense surfaces. :rollseyes:

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I said happy he doesn't bitch about this kind of junk.

Stopps isn't looking to change rules to favor his coaching style.

His complaints about the SEC are 100% media driven. He says the media influences voters too much. Pay attention!

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Link please? Also, it is not all about safety, although one would think more plays would lead to more injuries, it is also about equitability. Go figure, all this bitching when a rule actually in favor of the defense surfaces. :rollseyes:

In favor of the defense? Since when should one side be favored over the other? It is all about just what I said, whether or not you can see it is the question.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you can't give me another specific instance. Thanks.

huh?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You really need to look this word up.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Show me. Stoops wasn't the one who hired a plane to fly a banner showing the score of the rrso in 2008. Stoops want the coach that espn gave an hour of air time to plead his case on national television.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said happy he doesn't bitch about this kind of junk.

Stopps isn't looking to change rules to favor his coaching style.

His complaints about the SEC are 100% media driven. He says the media influences voters too much. Pay attention!

:nod:

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In favor of the defense? Since when should one side be favored over the other? It is all about just what I said, whether or not you can see it is the question.

They loosened holding rules, they never call lineman downfield, defenders can't touch a player 5 yards past line of scrimmage, targeting, you can't even breath on the QB anymore. All changes that benefited the offense. What the hell are you talking about?

Offenses and scoring are out of control, so it's time to tweak some rules - ESPN

excerpt from article in link:

The big rules changes were the 5-yard chuck rule, instituted in 1978 and made more strict in 2004; end of the head slap by defenders; allowing offensive linemen to use their hands; and making most contact with the quarterback illegal. These changes were designed to increase scoring, and had the intended impact.

In Division I football the trend is more dramatic, from an average of 20.6 points per game per school 40 years ago, building nearly uninterrupted to 22.9 points 30 years ago, to 27.3 points 10 years ago, to 28.3 points last season. On Saturday, Division I games averaged 30.4 points per team, the second-highest scoring day in Division I football annals, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How are the current rules not equitable? This situation is no different than when Texas introduced the wishbone and it was so successful many other teams implemented it.

You didn't see Bear Bryant whining about a rule change to negate the wishbone he took the position I can implement it also and beat your 22 with mine. Guess what that is exactly what he did.

Then defenses caught up and the run and gun era started. This is no different offenses evolve, defenses catch up then they evolve again. That is what makes it fun and why innovative coaches make the big bucks.

The truth is the players are changing in that they are stronger, faster and in unbelievable shape so they can do things players couldn't 20 years ago. Therefore the game changes also it is just the way it is or we would all still be playing all white teams and running the Notre Dame box.

History will show at one time the forward pass was considered innovative should we have outlawed it?

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50% in 40 years!? The horror!!

Player safety was shown to be a BS issue.

No one has explained why the defense should be guaranteed a substitution. Especially when they will get to sub twice if the offense switches. The offense has the ball. They set the tempo. The defense responds. That's the way the game is played.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are the current rules not equitable? This situation is no different than when Texas introduced the wishbone and it was so successful many other teams implemented it.

You didn't see Bear Bryant whining about a rule change to negate the wishbone he took the position I can implement it also and beat your 22 with mine. Guess what that is exactly what he did.

Then defenses caught up and the run and gun era started. This is no different offenses evolve, defenses catch up then they evolve again. That is what makes it fun and why innovative coaches make the big bucks.

The truth is the players are changing in that they are stronger, faster and in unbelievable shape so they can do things players couldn't 20 years ago. Therefore the game changes also it is just the way it is or we would all still be playing all white teams and running the Notre Dame box.

History will show at one time the forward pass was considered innovative should we have outlawed it?

Newsflash:

The bitching seems to be about the new proposed rule change. Can't I turn around and ask you the exact same thing? If rule passed offenses just need to adjust. Up to now the defenses have been doing all the adjusting! And really the comparison to the ND box, all white players and the forward pass? A little dramatic wouldn't you say? :L

How do you feel about all the changes with blocking,targeting,holding, hands off QB, 40 second clock that starts right away instead of 25 second clock started by official, or no chucking? All that was ok because it helped offenses? Now one comes along for the defense? Wow!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newsflash:

The bitching seems to be about the new proposed rule change. Can't I turn around and ask you the exact same thing? If rule passed offenses just need to adjust. Up to now the defenses have been doing all the adjusting! And really the comparison to the ND box, all white players and the forward pass? A little dramatic wouldn't you say? :L

How do you feel about all the changes with blocking,targeting,holding, hands off QB, 40 second clock that starts right away instead of 25 second clock started by official, or no chucking? All that was ok because it helped offenses? Now one comes along for the defense? Wow!

You're still not answering the question. Why should the defense get a free chance to sub, if the offense doesn't see a need to? The defense finally getting a rule change is not a legitimate answer.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys realize this would benefit every defense in the country, not just Alabama, right?

If a team just so happens to snap the ball at 31+ play clock seconds and scores a TD, and your team's defense is strewn all over the field, are you gonna say "hey, that would/should/could have been a penalty, we were trying to get subs in" or "our coach sucks at preparing our defense, might as well fire him now"?