• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban & Bielema behind the kill uptempo offense rule

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, so the offense is the one who gets to dictate when subs can happen.

But the rule is there even when no substitution is attempted, so that is not the what's being regulated.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys just keep teeing it up for me. Ever hear of the 4 corners offense in CBB? And, what exactly did the NCAA do in response to that wonderful offensive strategy? Yeah, that's right, created a frigging shot clock to keep it from being used. LOL.

I don't make the connection. The four corner offense was to slow down the game and keep the score low, the hurry up is to keep the defense honest and move the offense into scoring position quickly. The shot clock was put in to make teams shoot more baskets not stop them. Though OU actually scored more with Billy Tubbs and no shot clock than any coach since with the shot clock. Basically this rule would be more akin to basketball teams being allowed to have wholesale defensive substitutions after every made basket and then back to offense. Or maybe putting a 4th outfielder in the field when a slugger comes to the plate.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't make the connection. The four corner offense was to slow down the game and keep the score low, the hurry up is to keep the defense honest and move the offense into scoring position quickly. The shot clock was put in to make teams shoot more baskets not stop them. Though OU actually scored more with Billy Tubbs and no shot clock than any coach since with the shot clock. Basically this rule would be more akin to basketball teams being allowed to have wholesale defensive substitutions after every made basket and then back to offense. Or maybe putting a 4th outfielder in the field when a slugger comes to the plate.

More like boxing. Refs breaks them and action is set, but you can not throw a punch until the opponent puts up his hands. Or in hoops when ref starys the count on an in bounds, but instead you can not throw it in until every man in covered. Fact is once the ref places the ball and blows the whistle, play is live and the defense needs to understand that

Last edited by a moderator:

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This discussion has nothing to do with tempo. No team gets the ball off under normal circumstances in less than 10 seconds. Do you even realize that the 40 second play clock starts at the END of the previous play, not when the ball is set like when under the 25 second play clock?

so why do we need the rule?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, so the offense is the one who gets to dictate when subs can happen.

You're wrong on that. The defense can sub at any time but must be allowed to sub if the offense does. What the hurry up does is force you to either sub quickly or play better defense with the men already on the field. And if your team plays really good defense they shouldn't need to sub every damn play.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
per Sports Illustrated:

"Current rules dictate that defensive players are not guaranteed a chance to substitute unless the offense substitutes first."

Care to continue with your defense can substitute at any time theory?

that word is kinda important

you can sub if you're quick, but you get no guarantee

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so why do we need the rule?

Because they would snap the ball if the defense wasn't in place, rather than getting a play from the sideline.

All the rule does is guarantee the defense can sub safely for 10 seconds.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that word is kinda important

you can sub if you're quick, but you get no guarantee

So you can't sub at all without risking giving the other team a free TD.

How is that good football?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but you said no team snaps it that quickly

They can if they want, but they all go to the line then look at the sidelines for the next play etc.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're wrong on that. The defense can sub at any time but must be allowed to sub if the offense does. What the hurry up does is force you to either sub quickly or play better defense with the men already on the field. And if your team plays really good defense they shouldn't need to sub every damn play.

Fine, then offenses should never be allowed to sub.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite wrongly though. Face it, Saban can't play defense against the hurry up because he's a situational guy only. Take that away and he fails.

If you want to believe that Oklahoma only won that game because they exploited a loophole in the 2008 rule that changed us to the 40 second playclock, then that's on you.

Personally I thought you just played better.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but you said no team snaps it that quickly

He doesnt realize he is talking out of both sides of his mouth. On one side the rule does not affect offenses, because they do not snap it within 10 seconds. The other side says rule needs to be there because offense can snap it inside of 10 seconds.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesnt realize he is talking out of both sides of his mouth. On one side the rule does not affect offenses, because they do not snap it within 10 seconds. The other side says rule needs to be there because offense can snap it inside of 10 seconds.

They don't snap it within 10 seconds often because the defense isn't substituting and are defending. If the defense isn't defending, then they would snap it.

Not that hard to understand.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close. You are either too young to know about the four corners offense (which is fine, not being critical ... I wish I was that young), and/or definitely not an ACC hoops fan.

Actually it was Princeton I was thinking about and their version of the offense. Boring as hell.