• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

S. Jones says we will run more.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OXNARD, Calif. – Stephen Jones remembers the Lions game last October. The last-minute loss to the Packers still stings, too. And of course, the Broncos game was another that bothers him. When you consider the Cowboys went 8-8 and missed the playoffs by a single game, any one of those close losses likely would’ve changed the outcome of 2013.

All three of those games saw the Cowboys struggle to hold a late lead.

“All you have to do is turn on ESPN and three of the best games of the year were all us, losing at the end after we had good leads that we could have won. We win those three games I don't have to tell you what that means.”

Obviously, closing out games is something Jones wants to see improved. To do that, this team needs to be better at running the ball. And to do that, they need to be more commitment.

Jones said Thursday he expects both scenarios to occur.

“I think our offensive line is better than it was last year and I think we ran the ball pretty well last year,” Jones said. “I think we’ll run it better this year and I think there will be a bigger commitment to running it.”

Committed-running teams have documented success and Jones even has statistical ranking goal in mind.

“I think we’ve been pretty successful when DeMarco has gotten over 20 carries. Our winning percentage is pretty good. So yes, I’d like to see us in the top 10 in terms of our rushing attack. I think that’s a good recipe in terms of us winning. We will be running the ball more.”

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get back to me on this after thanksgiving and lets see if they are paying the running game lip service again this season

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every offseason this team seems to be painfully aware of the major criticisms of the previous season and reacts to them. Everything we do seems to be based on some other model. So from that point of view alone we will absolutely run more when you look at the stats at the end of the year. But will we run it more when it matters or will Romo and Garrett's asshole continue to pucker up at crunch time and abandon the run out of panic? That's the part I'll believe when I see, but I have no doubt we will run the ball more from a statistical basis than last year...

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll believe it when I see it.

Every year the same talk. Time for action. Well atleast no superbowl talk. The media thinks we will be the worst team in the NFC. I like the no high expectations this year. This defense can't be any worse I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they ran they ran well at 4.5 yards per carry, but Linehan is as pass happy as Garrett. So, as already stated...skepticism abounds.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to do some research on Linehan from when he was in Detroit.

I hope that they focus on the run game and that's all we have right now is Hope. running the ball more might have won 2-3 games that were close last year then ..........

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every situation is different and even year to year it's different, so I don't think you can expect Linehan to pass more just because he did in the past. Reggie Bush is a nice player, but he isn't the kind of back that Murray is and neither were a lot of the other Det backs. Murray can be given the ball on 3rd and short and get those yards and while he has been injury prone he also has the skill set to "carry the load". Also Dez is great, but he's no Calvin when you need a first down and know he'll have two guys on him. Our OL this year will be MUCH better than Detroit's. So I think you need to look at his previous tendencies, but not necessarily assume that's what we'll get. My bigger concern than him is Romo and Garrett realizing that we are better off in the long run if we run the ball more. Time will tell...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they ran they ran well at 4.5 yards per carry, but Linehan is as pass happy as Garrett. So, as already stated...skepticism abounds.

And even better when Murray was in the game. His YPC last year was better than any other back in the league. Contrary to the public opinion of many media members that Dallas "can't" run the ball, my feeling has been Dallas isn't "willlling" to run the ball enough.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And even better when Murray was in the game. His YPC last year was better than any other back in the league. Contrary to the public opinion of many media members that Dallas "can't" run the ball, my feeling has been Dallas isn't "willlling" to run the ball enough.

exactly. 3 first round picks on the o-line now it's time run it.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The thing that pissed us off about the lack of rub is how soon the team abandons it. Murray getting 4 yo 5 yards s pop and for some reason they decide not to run any more. It's either Garrett, s play calling or Romo changing the play (I'm a Romo supporter). Either way it sits on Garrett shoulders because if it is Romo audibles it's Garrett job to tighten the ropes on Romo.

I just realized I may be forgetting about the wildcard. It could be Garrett has tried to control Romo and our favorite GMS just overrides him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that pissed us off about the lack of rub is how soon the team abandons it. Murray getting 4 yo 5 yards s pop and for some reason they decide not to run any more. It's either Garrett, s play calling or Romo changing the play (I'm a Romo supporter). Either way it sits on Garrett shoulders because if it is Romo audibles it's Garrett job to tighten the ropes on Romo.

I just realized I may be forgetting about the wildcard. It could be Garrett has tried to control Romo and our favorite GMS just overrides him.

Totally agree with this in the long run. I think it was very clear that at times Romo audibled way too often out of the run plays that were called and for that particular play/game I think it is fair to blame Romo. However, if Garrett allows it then we can no longer blame Romo going forward.

Mrhappi06

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know what to think on this front because JJ constantly talks about Romo having more involvement and say in the offense. I wonder if the lines have started to get a bit blurry there.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't blame Romo's decision vs GB. I blame the throw itself. If he makes a decent throw that was probably 6 points. I think we saw in the DEt game what a team can do in 3 plays.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard that from Jaws yesterday that the Cowboys can't run the ball. These talking heads can't let facts get in the way of their bias towards the boys.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that from Jaws yesterday that the Cowboys can't run the ball. These talking heads can't let facts get in the way of their bias towards the boys.

If he talks about anything other than the qb position, I tune him out.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe he doesn't know the difference between can't and won't.

Mrhappi06

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every situation is different and even year to year it's different, so I don't think you can expect Linehan to pass more just because he did in the past. Reggie Bush is a nice player, but he isn't the kind of back that Murray is and neither were a lot of the other Det backs. Murray can be given the ball on 3rd and short and get those yards and while he has been injury prone he also has the skill set to "carry the load". Also Dez is great, but he's no Calvin when you need a first down and know he'll have two guys on him. Our OL this year will be MUCH better than Detroit's. So I think you need to look at his previous tendencies, but not necessarily assume that's what we'll get. My bigger concern than him is Romo and Garrett realizing that we are better off in the long run if we run the ball more. Time will tell...

I just want to add that while I agree with all of the above, Dallas still had 100 less rushing attempts than Detroit did last year. Thats just crazy.