• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan Shazier Injury

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question.

To answer that, I think we first have to address Shazier's physical status. I don't think he's running yet. I'm going out on a limb and saying he won't be back to even 50% of his former self by camp so playing in 2019 is not likely.

If that's the case, I don't think they sign him as a player, but if he wants a role on the staff or within the organization, we know there's enough class in the building that he will have an opportunity to stay there.

That questions leads to another...what do they do with the cap space that Bell and most likely Shazier will not be taking up? Do they go get a CB? I would circle back to AZ and talk to them about Patrick Peterson.

I mean if he has the desire to come back, I'd hate to see us give up on him and possibly lose him. It would really suck.
But I also understand is a business as much as it is a sport....the guy is still a huge f figure to the D in or out of pads.
Honestly, he could replace Porter.

Tough question, and an even tougher decision for both parties. Ryan & the team are ultimately going to have to make that decision. If Ryan holds firm to his beliefs then I don't see him giving up on his future on the field just yet. Obviously a contract extension would only be feasible if Shazier has any realistic chance of playing again.

Steelers honored his 5th year option and turned almost all that they could into a signing bonus to get the man his money now, and not later. Classy move.

What I don't believe is possible for the team is to hire him as a coach to let him rehab. I could be wrong. But there has to be some sort of rule in place to prevent teams from doing this. Something to enforce an even playing field by making sure no team can get a competitive advantage through deep pockets alone. And thus, at the same time, to make sure the players have equivalent bargaining leverage. Hiring Ryan as a coach would suggest allowing PIT to essentially "load up" on pricey veterans at a completely invisible pricetag against the cap, ergo gaining a competitive advantage. Not to mention (in a different hypothetical situation) the team could use that as an advantage to "dump" any cap hit once players get too old to be worth their salary any more. Allowing those sort of moves would seriously distort the market, and thus the basic concepts of the salary cap system. Even in the event that Ryan officially retires, he still has the ability to un-retire and rejoin the NFL. Maybe there's a rule in place where if that were to happen that Ryan would have to sign elsewhere IF he ever returned? I'm sure the CBA comes into play.

Very strange circumstances and probably more than a handful of loopholes that could be exploited here.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure you can't pay the same person a players salary and coaches salary at the same time which precludes the scenario you mentioned. Since he's a FA at the end of the season he's free to sign as a player or coach anywhere he chooses. I think the salary cap would govern this. Since a coach's salary doesn't count under the cap, he could start the year as a coach but if they sign him to a players' contract during the league year it would have to fit under the cap and I'd think you still couldn't pay him a coach's salary at the same time. So, I don't think you could circumvent the cap by paying a coach's salary of millions and then turn around and pay the same person league minimum to play or the deep pocket teams (Dallas/Washington) would already be doing this.

I'd think there should still be some kind of player/coach rules in the CBA to cover that type of situation even though it doesn't happen anymore like it did all the time back in the day. Or someone would exploit it until the loophole was closed.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean if he has the desire to come back, I'd hate to see us give up on him and possibly lose him. It would really suck.
But I also understand is a business as much as it is a sport....the guy is still a huge f figure to the D in or out of pads.
Honestly, he could replace Porter.

I think his ability to pass a physical is going to drive his ability to play. Sure, if he can pass a physical I definitely think PIT would try to sign him.

I don't think he's ever going to play again, but if he does, it will most likely be in a PIT uniform. I don't see another team signing him unless he had a clean bill of health.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough question, and an even tougher decision for both parties. Ryan & the team are ultimately going to have to make that decision. If Ryan holds firm to his beliefs then I don't see him giving up on his future on the field just yet. Obviously a contract extension would only be feasible if Shazier has any realistic chance of playing again.

Steelers honored his 5th year option and turned almost all that they could into a signing bonus to get the man his money now, and not later. Classy move.

What I don't believe is possible for the team is to hire him as a coach to let him rehab. I could be wrong. But there has to be some sort of rule in place to prevent teams from doing this. Something to enforce an even playing field by making sure no team can get a competitive advantage through deep pockets alone. And thus, at the same time, to make sure the players have equivalent bargaining leverage. Hiring Ryan as a coach would suggest allowing PIT to essentially "load up" on pricey veterans at a completely invisible pricetag against the cap, ergo gaining a competitive advantage. Not to mention (in a different hypothetical situation) the team could use that as an advantage to "dump" any cap hit once players get too old to be worth their salary any more. Allowing those sort of moves would seriously distort the market, and thus the basic concepts of the salary cap system. Even in the event that Ryan officially retires, he still has the ability to un-retire and rejoin the NFL. Maybe there's a rule in place where if that were to happen that Ryan would have to sign elsewhere IF he ever returned? I'm sure the CBA comes into play.

Very strange circumstances and probably more than a handful of loopholes that could be exploited here.

No...player coaches went away in the NFL some time ago. The last that I was able to find was Dan Reeves in the 70s was a player coach under Tom Landry in DAL.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No...player coaches went away in the NFL some time ago. The last that I was able to find was Dan Reeves in the 70s was a player coach under Tom Landry in DAL.
Probably due to the amount of money paid to players increasing so much and it being considered a year round job. Unlike back in the day when most players had a regular offseason job. Today, What team would want to pay a player that much to split duties and time as a coach?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably due to the amount of money paid to players increasing so much and it being considered a year round job. Unlike back in the day when most players had a regular offseason job. Today, What team would want to pay a player that much to split duties and time as a coach?

Yeah...I think today... the NFLPA would have a real problem with a player-coach.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question.

To answer that, I think we first have to address Shazier's physical status. I don't think he's running yet. I'm going out on a limb and saying he won't be back to even 50% of his former self by camp so playing in 2019 is not likely.

If that's the case, I don't think they sign him as a player, but if he wants a role on the staff or within the organization, we know there's enough class in the building that he will have an opportunity to stay there.

That questions leads to another...what do they do with the cap space that Bell and most likely Shazier will not be taking up? Do they go get a CB? I would circle back to AZ and talk to them about Patrick Peterson.

Great in site from y'all as always.
If he doesn't come back as a player right away, I hope they keep him on at some capacity. He seems to be a decent motivator even if it's from the sidelines.

I guess we'll have to wait and let this one play out.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Joe had 1 as well! Congrats to both!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Javon Hargrave set to see a pay raise, while Ryan Shazier and Eli Rogers should see their contracts toll in 2019

Wasn’t aware of this in the CBA. So Shazier can continue to have his contract rolled over. And the restructure they gave him last offseason actually works in their favor now since that yearly cost to toll him would have been $8mil... Now it only costs them $800k to keep him under contract every year.
The Seahawks went through a similar situation with Malik McDowell.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very impressive. He looks damm good.

Despite it all, do people really want to see him play again??

I honestly cringe at the idea.
In short, no. Right now everyone is more focused on his recovery, both physical & emotional aspects of it.

It's still very unlikely that he ever steps foot on the gridiron again. But I think most of us are fully supportive of him using football as motivation to get himself "back" to better health. It's all a mental game right now in his recovery. Letting him believe & set goals on football is helping him progress through his recovery. Football has been his life. Whether or not he ever achieves his goal of being able to play again is truly secondary at this time.

Its truly remarkable how far he has come. We just hope that his fam, coaches & doctors all intervene at the appropriate time if those expectations get closer to being a reality. Or that Ryan will have it figured out by then if not already.

Ryan has become an icon and a beacon of hope for hundreds of thousands of people, if not more. I truly think that he is setting himself on this path to prove not only to himself, but to all those that are looking up to him that keeping faith will get him back where he wants to be. How he chooses to channel that faith & determination will provide a lot of people with purpose in life.