• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan Shazier Injury

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Steelers officially placed Shazier on PUP list for the upcoming season. RYAN SHAZIER: Steelers officially place Shazier on PUP list for upcoming season
So that frees up a roster spot on the alloted 90-man offseason roster. Steelers have roughly $5.9mil in cap space EXCLUDING the '18 rookie class contracts.

I think the rookie class is expected to run $1.97mil this year. Meaning the Steelers have about $3.93mil to possibly play with for that last roster spot. The most expensive vet min contract is ~$1mil. I think they could possibly land another FA if they wanted to. Give him a 2-3 year deal, 1st year being on or beneath that $3.93mil number.

Thoughts?

@ATL96Steeler @Superbelt

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 50 Available 2018 NFL Free Agents | NFLTradeRumors.co

Wouldn't mind another CB tossed into the mix. Just puts more pressure on Artie Burns to succeed.

1. Bashaud Breeland
2. Dominique Rogers-Cromartie
3. Kayvon Webster

Or ILB?

1. Navarro Bowman
2. Brian Cushing
3. Derrick Johnson

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that frees up a roster spot on the alloted 90-man offseason roster. Steelers have roughly $5.9mil in cap space EXCLUDING the '18 rookie class contracts.

I think the rookie class is expected to run $1.97mil this year. Meaning the Steelers have about $3.93mil to possibly play with for that last roster spot. The most expensive vet min contract is ~$1mil. I think they could possibly land another FA if they wanted to. Give him a 2-3 year deal, 1st year being on or beneath that $3.93mil number.

Thoughts?

@ATL96Steeler @Superbelt

Rookie class seems like it should count more than 1.97, but they like to carry some reserve into the season for emergency purposes so unless that emergency happens between now and camp I wouldn't expect much to happen with a vet unless somebody gets released.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers reportedly convert $8.2 million of Ryan Shazier's 2018 salary into bonus cash for injured LB

Classy move by a classy organization.

NFL teams often fight to get back cash from an injured player and/or just release them when they get hurt.

Here's the official report....

Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier will not play this season as he continues to recover from a serious spinal injury, but the Steelers are making sure Shazier is well cared for.

The Steelers have changed Shazier’s contract to pay him most of this year’s salary in advance, Field Yates of ESPN reports.

Shazier had been due a base salary of $8.718 million, but the Steelers changed his deal to pay him an $8.26 million signing bonus immediately. He’ll receive the rest as salary over the course of the season.

This will be the last year on Shazier’s contract. His 2018 salary was always fully guaranteed for injury, but the Steelers didn’t want him to have to wait to receive it.

Despite concerns that he could be paralyzed for life when he was stretchered off the field in December, Shazier walked across the stage last week at the NFL draft. Although he needs assistance walking, he has made significant progress in recovery.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowman would be a godsend. How is that guy not on a team?

That's a question you'd have to ask all the GM's. They all must know something about Bowman that we don't. Maybe they don't feel like he can play the LB position anymore or maybe there's some off-the-field issues with him that haven't been addressed to the media

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookie class seems like it should count more than 1.97, but they like to carry some reserve into the season for emergency purposes so unless that emergency happens between now and camp I wouldn't expect much to happen with a vet unless somebody gets released.
Got that number off steelerswire. Seemed wrong to me too but couldn’t remember what the typical class cap number was.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers reportedly convert $8.2 million of Ryan Shazier's 2018 salary into bonus cash for injured LB

Classy move by a classy organization.

NFL teams often fight to get back cash from an injured player and/or just release them when they get hurt.

The Rooney family has long tried to do what they feel is right by the player, obviously this is one of those times. He was going to get the cash anyway, but keeping him involved etc. are things he'll never forget, and continue to inspire him.

I for one hope he doesn't try to play again, but use his visibility and journey to help others recover and learn proper tackling technique early.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rooney family has long tried to do what they feel is right by the player, obviously this is one of those times. He was going to get the cash anyway, but keeping him involved etc. are things he'll never forget, and continue to inspire him.

I for one hope he doesn't try to play again, but use his visibility and journey to help others recover and learn proper tackling technique early.

That's why I respect the fuck outta them and think they are 1 of the best organizations in all of sports.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shazier can't be for real....

Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier walked to the podium with a cane. But he was walking, and able to say that he wanted to return to the field after last year’s devastating spinal injury.

Via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Shazier held his first press conference today since the injury which left him temporarily paralyzed and required spinal stabilization surgery.

My aim is to come back and play football again,” Shazier said, which is stunning on a number of levels.

He has remained around the team and serves as a coach/mentor/inspiration, and said the support of teammates and being in the environment help him with his daily challenges. He said his next hurdle is to walk without a cane.

“It’s been a long process, a challenge,” he said. “I know it’s going to be a long journey. . . .

“Every day I’m getting so much better.”

Shazier admitted the moment against the Bengals, when he fell to the turf after lowering his head into a tackle, was a frightening one for him. And though he won’t play this year, his motivation remains to return to the game.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shazier can't be for real....
It is highly unlikely, but who are we to deny a man from his passion in life? Yea it’s scary as hell to think he’ll be risking his future life, but we are still very far away from that becoming a potential reality. I think everyone understands that and is just letting him do whatever he needs to get his mind right. I’m hoping that his family, coaches & doctors try to intervene at the appropriate time if he does get himself close to being back on the football field. But right now everyone is more focused on his recovery, both physical & emotional aspects of it. Only Shazier has his eyes set further into the future. But what else is he supposed to do? I think it’s great that he’s using football as a way to motivate himself to get better.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is highly unlikely, but who are we to deny a man from his passion in life? Yea it’s scary as hell to think he’ll be risking his future life, but we are still very far away from that becoming a potential reality. I think everyone understands that and is just letting him do whatever he needs to get his mind right. I’m hoping that his family, coaches & doctors try to intervene at the appropriate time if he does get himself close to being back on the football field. But right now everyone is more focused on his recovery, both physical & emotional aspects of it. Only Shazier has his eyes set further into the future. But what else is he supposed to do? I think it’s great that he’s using football as a way to motivate himself to get better.

He's definitely gotta think about his future. I wouldn't even be thinking about football after the injury he sustained. He's lucky enough to be able to walk again. That's what he should be concentrating on.