• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rutgers Players

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schiano is in town this week so I think it's a good time to take another look at his track record producing NFL players. While it may not indicate anything about Belichick's draft picks, I think it's interesting to note the following:

From 2001-2011 Schiano produced, IMO, the following NFL caliber players:

Top tier: Ray Rice
2nd tier: Alex Davis OT 49ers
2nd-3rd tier: Devin McCourty overdrafted as a cornerback and "demoted" to FS. I view the move as a demotion if you look at what a good FS gets paid, compared to a good cornerback, plus the relative positional value to a team.
3rd-4th tier: Kenny Britt, Jason McCourty,
5th tier with potential to move up: Justin Francis and Mohammed Sanu

All the remaining Rutgers players I'd classify as lower tier players or unproven to this point.

If I haven't missed any...Schiano produced five 1st-4th tier players in eleven years at Rutgers.

It's interesting to note that Schiano hasn't used any chips to draft any Rutgers players in his two years as HC of TB.

The only Rutgers player to be drafted in 2012 by any team was Sanu.

The Rutgers players drafted by Belichick may prove to be decent players but IMO... the odds are not in their favor.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.
And nicely put together.

Muchas gracias...

It has to do with the options available to recruits because the top talents will want to play for the best schools. If you look at the talent level of the SEC for example, even the schools that miss out on the very best players will still end up with others that are probably better than Rutgers best recruiting classes.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't consider it a demotion. He found the role McCourty excels at and put him there. He really is a very good safety.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't consider it a demotion. He found the role McCourty excels at and put him there. He really is a very good safety.

If you ever get a pay cut with a transfer to a lower paying position, let me know if you think it's a lateral move.

2013 Franchise tag number:

Safety $6.916 mil
Corner $10.854 mil

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ever get a pay cut with a transfer to a lower paying position, let me know if you think it's a lateral move.

2013 Franchise tag number:

Safety $6.916 mil
Corner $10.854 mil

He didn't take a pay cut, though. He moved from a position where the highest paid players are paid more to a position where the highest paid players are paid less. His personal pay didn't go down a dollar. It could affect his earnings in the future - but if he grades out as one of the best safeties in the league vs an above average corner, his earnings may still be higher.

At the end of the day, though, do you think they moved him to safety as punishment? As a way to get him out of the way at CB? I don't. I think they moved him there because they knew he could do it and they needed a safety more than they needed a CB. That's a compliment to him at least as much as it's a 'demotion' in some way.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think draw's right. His earnings are as likely to increase as decrease. He wasn't getting franchise tag numbers either way, and going somewhere he can perform means he probably gets paid better.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They moved McCourty in part because he was a liability at corner...you know...the position they drafted him to play. McCourty got moved last year because he upgraded the safety position and because they traded for Talib and drafted Dennard both of whom play the corner position better.

That move essentially lowered his future pay grade..it's just a fact of NFL life. Safeties are worth less than corners unless you're Ed Reed...which McCourty ain't.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't a liability. He was the best corner we had. Unfortunately with no help over the top, everyone looked bad, because with the exception of few elite guys like Revis, you can't man up on people without safety help all game and be flawless. Especially when they're a legit number one guy.

The lack of effective safety play made everyone look bad. Our entire corner group looked bad because they had no help. I don't know if they plan to move him back if they have a more effective optional safety or not, but he is more productive at safety because he's a good safety, not a shitty corner.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the best corner the Pats had last year? What did I miss? He was a liability at corner after the Lions exposed his flaws in the 2011 preseason.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They moved McCourty in part because he was a liability at corner...you know...the position they drafted him to play. McCourty got moved last year because he upgraded the safety position and because they traded for Talib and drafted Dennard both of whom play the corner position better.

That move essentially lowered his future pay grade..it's just a fact of NFL life. Safeties are worth less than corners unless you're Ed Reed...which McCourty ain't.

They moved him because they had a huge hole at safety and less of a hole at CB - they moved him when Aqib Talib became available to play in games and as Dennard was finally stepping up (he didn't get reps early in the year), so they had a CB set they were confident in. He was their best CB prior to that point. And he was one of the best free safeties in the league after the move.

The pass defense was acceptable but not great (gave up huge chunks of yards but forced a lot of turnovers) last year, but McCourty personally had a stellar season.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They moved him because they had a huge hole at safety and less of a hole at CB - they moved him when Aqib Talib became available to play in games and as Dennard was finally stepping up (he didn't get reps early in the year), so they had a CB set they were confident in. He was their best CB prior to that point. And he was one of the best free safeties in the league after the move.

The pass defense was acceptable but not great (gave up huge chunks of yards but forced a lot of turnovers) last year, but McCourty personally had a stellar season.

Saying he was the Pats best corner until Talib showed up and Dennard got his feet wet is like saying the sun feels hotter to us than other stars...it's relative. Ras-I was on IR, Arrington should only see the field in sub packages...Cole? Sterling Moore? Not exactly a stellar group, to stay with the star theme.