• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson Traded to Broncos

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I legit dunno... Russ has lost a step the last couple years with Seattle.

He just looks to chuck the ball deep 24/7 and if that's not there he scrambles around... now that worked all well and fine, but he's not as mobile or agile as he used to be.

Another interesting thing that I'm surprised hardly anyone is acknowledging (and been saying it about Rashaad Penny PRIOR to the year being over), Seattle played a bunch of SHITTY teams the second half... and Penny was playing against some of the worst rush defenses in the NFL.

I mean, we'll see what happens, but part of me feels this could VERY much be a BUST signing for the Broncos. I think this might be one of those hindsight "Your team got bent over" trades. Eh we'll see.

I think there isnt always a "winner/loser" to trades if Wilson has a good season, the broncos end up 2nd in the division behind the chiefs then lose in the wild card game is that considered a win for them? If the guys we draft end up just being good players who really wins in that scenario? If I were to gamble money I think that is the closest prediction into the future.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there isnt always a "winner/loser" to trades if Wilson has a good season, the broncos end up 2nd in the division behind the chiefs then lose in the wild card game is that considered a win for them? If the guys we draft end up just being good players who really wins in that scenario? If I were to gamble money I think that is the closest prediction into the future.

Chiefs could be trading Tyreek, that hold on 1st getting a bit shakier.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knocking the Chiefs off and winning the west would be a huge win. It will be interesting to see it all unfold by next January. Hell, the Raiders or Chargers could come out on top of this thing for all anyone knows.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I legit dunno... Russ has lost a step the last couple years with Seattle.

He just looks to chuck the ball deep 24/7 and if that's not there he scrambles around... now that worked all well and fine, but he's not as mobile or agile as he used to be.

Another interesting thing that I'm surprised hardly anyone is acknowledging (and been saying it about Rashaad Penny PRIOR to the year being over), Seattle played a bunch of SHITTY teams the second half... and Penny was playing against some of the worst rush defenses in the NFL.

I mean, we'll see what happens, but part of me feels this could VERY much be a BUST signing for the Broncos. I think this might be one of those hindsight "Your team got bent over" trades. Eh we'll see.
Wilson isn't quite the threat to take off downfield while scrambling that he was 5 years ago. He isn't even quite as nimble of an escape artist that he used to be, but he can still make shifty moves to be evasive.

What no one has been talking about is his work ethic. He was long noted as "first in, last to leave" the facilities. There is no indication that this work ethic is going to change. Due to this fact alone I can't see a scenerio (barring injury) where Wilson doesn't succeed at a respectful level in Denver.
Whether or not he lives up to the trade value, or the presumed impending $50 million a year contract is still in question, but RW has the talent, knows the game, and works hard enough to ensure he will play at a high level for his abilities.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson isn't quite the threat to take off downfield while scrambling that he was 5 years ago. He isn't even quite as nimble of an escape artist that he used to be, but he can still make shifty moves to be evasive.

What no one has been talking about is his work ethic. He was long noted as "first in, last to leave" the facilities. There is no indication that this work ethic is going to change. Due to this fact alone I can't see a scenerio (barring injury) where Wilson doesn't succeed at a respectful level in Denver.
Whether or not he lives up to the trade value, or the presumed impending $50 million a year contract is still in question, but RW has the talent, knows the game, and works hard enough to ensure he will play at a high level for his abilities.

Oh, I am not discounting the guys professionalism, work ethic, and great attitude. I'll always remember Wilson for that. he was one of the best. Did nothing but promote the team throughout his career, never caused a locker room issue, and handled things quietly (only the FO really knows the full story about what transpired).

That said, I'm talking about his physical attributes. He relied a lot on his legs/mobility to extend plays. He on a per game basis for HOF/LONG career QBs has what I believe is the highest per game sack rate in NFL history, which is incredible given how often Seattle ran the ball over the years... and that is not entirely on the OL - in fact Seattle had some pretty decent ones early on and tried to address it the best they could through the draft/trades/free agency.

Point being, as he's aged, even towards the end of the 2020 season, that mobility is taking a bit of a hit (no pun intended) and it's not as effective as it was. As a result, I'm not sure I see him improving with Denver. I would not be shocked at all if everyone is saying how bad Denver's OL is after this season.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always felt that when players first come into the league they don't have money and they are highly motivated and devote a lot off time to getting better, some practically eat and sleep football. Wilson was one of those. However once money starts coming in like tsunumi it's only human nature to start doing other things,like focusing on personal relationships, charities, vacations, awesome toys and learning new things like flying planes. Wilson wasn't a exception in that regard, one only has to see what he is doing via social media to know that. I also don't feel Wilson is nimble or still has niffy moves any more, but maybe this off season the change revitalizes him.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point being, as he's aged, even towards the end of the 2020 season, that mobility is taking a bit of a hit (no pun intended) and it's not as effective as it was. As a result, I'm not sure I see him improving with Denver. I would not be shocked at all if everyone is saying how bad Denver's OL is after this season.
I agree with this. We will have to se how it all plays out but Denver could be a lot like recent Seahawk teams. Always in the playoffs but playing road games as a WC and not able to get to the big one. I just don't know if Russ can elevate a team beyond that anymore.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I am not discounting the guys professionalism, work ethic, and great attitude. I'll always remember Wilson for that. he was one of the best. Did nothing but promote the team throughout his career, never caused a locker room issue, and handled things quietly (only the FO really knows the full story about what transpired).

That said, I'm talking about his physical attributes. He relied a lot on his legs/mobility to extend plays. He on a per game basis for HOF/LONG career QBs has what I believe is the highest per game sack rate in NFL history, which is incredible given how often Seattle ran the ball over the years... and that is not entirely on the OL - in fact Seattle had some pretty decent ones early on and tried to address it the best they could through the draft/trades/free agency.

All true.

My point was with his arm and head abilities, and a top notch work ethic there is no indication that he is going to suddenly drop off (barring injury of course).
Regardless of his escapability and quckness being lessened through the years, there is no reason why he shouldn't post 4000+ yard, 100+ passing ratings, and impressive TD to Int ratios.

Worth $50+ million a year? That is debatable. But I just don't see Russ suddenly putting up bad numbers. His overall abilities other than his legs haven't degraded yet.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stumbled upon this video, which may explain Seattle's limited playoff success since The Legion of Boom disbanded?

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stumbled upon this video, which may explain Seattle's limited playoff success since The Legion of Boom disbanded?
Interesting.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still don't get how Wilson is better in Denver.

1) I'm sorry but where the fuck is this Jeudy, Sutton, and Tim fuckin' Patrick better than Metcalf, Lockett, and Seattle's other wideouts? Jeudy has yet to do much of anything in his career (800 yards woohoo), Sutton needs to prove he can bounce back from injury, etc. I know Lockett is getting older, but as of the last 2 years there's nothing better in Denver. Add to that, they lose Fant who has yet to take the league by storm but he's better than what remains on Denver's roster.

2) The O-Line in Seattle was not much different than Denver's at least in 2021. Denver ranked 19th last year according to PFF while Seattle was 25th and struggled with more injuries than Denver.

3) Denver has a new HC, their OL coach that made them decent left, and Hackett was NOT calling the offense in Green Bay, LaFleur was.

4) Denver has a decent runningback situation but Gordon is on borrowed time, and the reason their rush game was decent is both had some of the highest YAC in the league, so let's not pretend that their OL was causing all that rush yard generation. Penny is still playing for a massive contract and Walker was pretty much the consensus pure best runner in the draft. So how are we improving exactly?

5) As for the defense, Ed Donatell got the Broncos D playing above expectations. He's gone, so it's not necessarily going to be a 1/1 translation. Add to that Shelby Harris who was a huge anchor on the DL is gone. Harris played pretty poorly last year, but prior to that he was posting above average to elite grades from 2019-2021 on PFF.

6) Wilson's mobility is starting to go. His YPC is WAY down from previous years, and his spin move/quickness that fooled defenders in the past in no longer doing it. While the Broncos and Hackett are willing to develop around Wilson, good luck with that. You've got a QB who likes to extend plays and chuck it downfield (which admittedly he does well). It's fairly obvious that Wilson wanted NOTHING to do with Waldron's offensive system, preferring to hang onto the ball for 8 seconds as Metcalf and his TEs sat WIDE open between 5-15 yards down the field.

7) The division. Believe it or not Wilson went from a division that is getting easier (Murray/Cards falling apart, Rams have another year or two left before it literally explodes, and the 49ers are reliant on whether Lance pans out), to flat out the hardest division in the NFL where he's easily the 3rd best QB. Any GM/coach would take Herbert/Mahomes over Wilson.

Wilson is barely top 5 in that division. You'd taken Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow over Wilson at this point... Hands down not even close.

Seattle did give Wilson up for too cheap but they didn't have a choice with the no trade clause. That said, the fact Denver got all this praise and everyone thinks Denver now can compete for a Super Bowl is laughable to me. I see 10-7 WC at best for them next year.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't get how Wilson is better in Denver.

1) I'm sorry but where the fuck is this Jeudy, Sutton, and Tim fuckin' Patrick better than Metcalf, Lockett, and Seattle's other wideouts? Jeudy has yet to do much of anything in his career (800 yards woohoo), Sutton needs to prove he can bounce back from injury, etc. I know Lockett is getting older, but as of the last 2 years there's nothing better in Denver. Add to that, they lose Fant who has yet to take the league by storm but he's better than what remains on Denver's roster.

2) The O-Line in Seattle was not much different than Denver's at least in 2021. Denver ranked 19th last year according to PFF while Seattle was 25th and struggled with more injuries than Denver.

3) Denver has a new HC, their OL coach that made them decent left, and Hackett was NOT calling the offense in Green Bay, LaFleur was.

4) Denver has a decent runningback situation but Gordon is on borrowed time, and the reason their rush game was decent is both had some of the highest YAC in the league, so let's not pretend that their OL was causing all that rush yard generation. Penny is still playing for a massive contract and Walker was pretty much the consensus pure best runner in the draft. So how are we improving exactly?

5) As for the defense, Ed Donatell got the Broncos D playing above expectations. He's gone, so it's not necessarily going to be a 1/1 translation. Add to that Shelby Harris who was a huge anchor on the DL is gone. Harris played pretty poorly last year, but prior to that he was posting above average to elite grades from 2019-2021 on PFF.

6) Wilson's mobility is starting to go. His YPC is WAY down from previous years, and his spin move/quickness that fooled defenders in the past in no longer doing it. While the Broncos and Hackett are willing to develop around Wilson, good luck with that. You've got a QB who likes to extend plays and chuck it downfield (which admittedly he does well). It's fairly obvious that Wilson wanted NOTHING to do with Waldron's offensive system, preferring to hang onto the ball for 8 seconds as Metcalf and his TEs sat WIDE open between 5-15 yards down the field.

7) The division. Believe it or not Wilson went from a division that is getting easier (Murray/Cards falling apart, Rams have another year or two left before it literally explodes, and the 49ers are reliant on whether Lance pans out), to flat out the hardest division in the NFL where he's easily the 3rd best QB. Any GM/coach would take Herbert/Mahomes over Wilson.

Wilson is barely top 5 in that division. You'd taken Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow over Wilson at this point... Hands down not even close.

Seattle did give Wilson up for too cheap but they didn't have a choice with the no trade clause. That said, the fact Denver got all this praise and everyone thinks Denver now can compete for a Super Bowl is laughable to me. I see 10-7 WC at best for them next year.

I thought he had a better chance to win here than Denver in the loaded AFC. Crossing my fingers Wentz works out. Wilson chose Denver.