• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson Traded to Broncos

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's in DC odds are against facing him yearly, and by the time Seattle is ready to challenge for a SB Wilson is at least 3 years older and closer to retirement.

If he didn't nix the trade Seattle cut off thier own nose to spite it's face.
Why even talk to Washington if the problem was facing RW. The rumor the Seahawks nixed the deal because they didn’t want to face RW makes no sense. Had to be RW doing the nixing.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why even talk to Washington if the problem was facing RW. The rumor the Seahawks nixed the deal because they didn’t want to face RW makes no sense. Had to be RW doing the nixing.
Couple of my friends in Seattle are telling me that Wilson did nix the Washington DC deal. I don't have substantiated reporting on that but it's what I'm hearing. His no trade clause gave him the ability to pick his destination.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver's got a great defense & a quality running game. Kinda like Wilsons team when he started in the NFL. Only with a better line.
I think denver will be a real threat next season. Pretty much QB play was their Achilles heel.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Seattle liked Malik Willis who is quite similar to Wilson.

Strengths: Mobile, can scramble from blitzes, great arm/deep ball, likes sideline throws more than middle of the field, strong/larger hands for ball security/pumps, etc.
Weaknesses: Takes unnecessary sacks, relies on rollout/playaction/legs to get clear passing lane (trouble in middle of pocket), will miss easy passes and rely on legs or deep throws too often, does not always read defenses well.

A lot of that is Wilson to a TEE, straight down to almost a similar height but athletic build... it just depends how the strengths/weaknesses differ in terms of .... uh.... a Madden rating, lol. The chance that Willis becomes a HOFer is extremely low, but if Seattle is looking for a similar prospect, that would be their guy.

Obviously Willis has the major upside of being 10 years younger and bringing the athleticism that Wilson IMO has somewhat lost (his spin/scrambles don't work near as much as they did as Wilson has just lost a step. Wilson has been taking on an increasing # of sacks throughout the years. Out of full time QBs he's taken on some of the highest sack percentage rates based on games played in NFL history, which is pretty alarming given how often Seattle ran the ball early in his career).

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver's got a great defense & a quality running game. Kinda like Wilsons team when he started in the NFL. Only with a better line.
I think denver will be a real threat next season. Pretty much QB play was their Achilles heel.
They better hope it works out early, because I can see them folding very fast. This is an all in now move.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better hope it works out early, because I can see them folding very fast. This is an all in now move.
I have more faith in the quality of team the broncos are with Wilson than Packers. Packers are just in a softer conference.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have more faith in the quality of team the broncos are with Wilson than Packers. Packers are just in a softer conference.
I can agree with this, but I'm talking about what Denver gave up to get Wilson. Denver has a short window while Seattle has resources to try to rebuild quickly.

Reactions: DJ

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that the Broncos were the only team Russ would approve to be traded to .. So there ya go

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with this, but I'm talking about what Denver gave up to get Wilson. Denver has a short window while Seattle has resources to try to rebuild quickly.
yeah they are going all in kinda like the Rams did.
Which I can admire. They got a lot of the pieces already.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Strengths: Mobile, can scramble from blitzes, great arm/deep ball, likes sideline throws more than middle of the field, strong/larger hands for ball security/pumps, etc.
Weaknesses: Takes unnecessary sacks, relies on rollout/playaction/legs to get clear passing lane (trouble in middle of pocket), will miss easy passes and rely on legs or deep throws too often, does not always read defenses well.

A lot of that is Wilson to a TEE, straight down to almost a similar height but athletic build... it just depends how the strengths/weaknesses differ in terms of .... uh.... a Madden rating, lol. The chance that Willis becomes a HOFer is extremely low, but if Seattle is looking for a similar prospect, that would be their guy.

Obviously Willis has the major upside of being 10 years younger and bringing the athleticism that Wilson IMO has somewhat lost (his spin/scrambles don't work near as much as they did as Wilson has just lost a step. Wilson has been taking on an increasing # of sacks throughout the years. Out of full time QBs he's taken on some of the highest sack percentage rates based on games played in NFL history, which is pretty alarming given how often Seattle ran the ball early in his career).

I would prefer not going with the small mobile guy, bigger somewhat mobile guy would be better… Russ is such a rare guy with his skill set, very few last that long in the NFL like he has, part of that is him being built like a running back, but also knowing when to get down and avoid hits … I’m hoping we draft a young QB prospect, possibly look to bring in a proven veteran guy also, not sold on Lock… I’m sure Pete will bring someone else in…

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that the Broncos were the only team Russ would approve to be traded to .. So there ya go

Yah, of the teams I heard:

Dallas was never going to happen to begin with. No way they could cut Dak and lose the cap... and now they are in coaching hell.
New Orleans completely blew up, and Payton is gone.
NY Giants are not that great of a team at the moment.
Chicago already took an early QB and now are changing coaches.
LA Raiders now are kind of in a coaching issue but the Raiders may not be ready to move on from Carr.

About the only team left that made sense on his original list or the rumors I heard of was Denver.

I think Washington Skins were involved in requesting, but Wilson's no trade clause prevents that from happening.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer not going with the small mobile guy, bigger somewhat mobile guy would be better… Russ is such a rare guy with his skill set, very few last that long in the NFL like he has, part of that is him being built like a running back, but also knowing when to get down and avoid hits … I’m hoping we draft a young QB prospect, possibly look to bring in a proven veteran guy also, not sold on Lock… I’m sure Pete will bring someone else in…

Oh I hear ya... I just get why they are looking at Willis. Very similar build/style.

Now can he be as successful as Wilson was especially given that running QBs are getting a bit more common and teams are gameplanning better against them? Who knows. And while Wilson scrambled or ran around, he was looking for the pass. Willis seems to be ready to take off more frequently.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I also wonder if Ridder would be an option. Trading back later into the first or taking with one of our earlier seconds. Very similar college stats to Wilson, but a bigger guy (6'3"). Can still scramble.

I just can't imagine they would trade Wilson without going into next season with a guy they are targeting.... and I HIGHLY doubt that's Lock. There's someone in this draft (especially after the combine/interviews) that they want.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wilson scrambles to give his receivers a chance to get open. Willis scrambles because he can't see three guys are wide open.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson scrambles to give his receivers a chance to get open. Willis scrambles because he can't see three guys are wide open.
he also scrambled because his Oline absolutely sucked!

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short window?......maybe.

The Broncos are a very young team and they are stacked at the skill positions and have a good defense. RW should have another 4-7 years of good production left in him. A good fit with Hackett's West Coast offense. Even though the Broncos gave up a pile of picks, they still have 8 selections in this year's draft and the middle of the draft looks strong. Next year will be the same story. By year 3, the draft picks lost will be behind them and their young core will have matured.

RW will also assist them in attracting some free agents and sometimes that's less of a risk than the draft. I just don't agree that they gave up the farm. RW is arguably a future HOF'er with more good years left and the rest of the team is pretty solid. I don't see the Broncos winning multiple Super Bowls now or maybe even ever. However, they're now competitive and can't be overlooked in any game on their schedule.

Even if RW has lost a step, he's going to provide stability, leadership in the locker room and be a gamer on the field. The Broncos got a lot better today and as a Bronco fan, I don't think they gave up to much to get to this point.