• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson: The most overrated player in the NFL

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness to mentioning tight windows, you also had a WR corps whose STRENGTH was catching the ball at the apex aggressively. There were throws that RW threw into that window...then there were many throws that SEA fans HAD to thank their lucky stars Tate or Kearse or Baldwin has strong hands and the aggressiveness to attack that ball.

That's the offense. I'm not arguing that the receivers don't have great hands because they do. The point is that even with the great hands there wasn't many places the ball could have been put for a completion. The receivers fit the QB and it isn't a matter of just throwing someone else in there behind center and expecting the same results.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohhh lord he would be treated like UK is here. Deservingly so IMO for UK here... Oldtimer not so much, would be stating what many (some) (just me and you)agree on over there.

Don't forget jay. And maybe MikeD. Im sure OldTimer would be fine, it's not like anyone ever tells MikeD off back in our neck of the woods....

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one saying wait a few years so I guess this does apply to me. Yes I say that about all the young guns. I think on this list having Andrew Luck with the elite 4 is a mistake. He hasn't shown yet that he belongs in that group and even if he had the stats to back up such a thing I would still be saying wait just a bit. This is a tough league to make it in and you just never know what could happen. Heck not too long ago Carson Palmer was considered one of the best up and coming quarterbacks and was being mentioned with that elite group. Look at him now bouncing from team to team and by many being considered a bottom half of the league starter. That is why I say wait. I'm not ready to prop any of the young guns up but I can also still recognize what they have done so far in their career. Wilson has done a heck of a job and deserves to be mentioned among that top-10 at this point in his career. He plays well within the system around him and does his job. You can't ask much more of him that what he is already doing.

To gohusk...I agree there wasn't a ton of talent around him on the offensive side of the ball. The OL did pretty good run blocking as 3 of the 5 finished with a positive grade run blocking by PFF. He did have an elite RB in Lynch running behind him and that definitely helped just like he helped open things up for Lynch. WR and TE wise you are right they were average. I will say though 3 of his main WR's and TE finished with a positive grade so it wasn't like they were the worst in the league. Heck he had 2 WR's that finished in the top-20 for ranking and his TE finished 8th in the league. Again that doesn't make them great but it wasn't like they were a sack of potatoes either.
If anyone considered Carson Palmer an up and coming elite quarterback they're are a lot of mean words and rotten vegetables that should be thrown at them.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one saying wait a few years so I guess this does apply to me. Yes I say that about all the young guns. I think on this list having Andrew Luck with the elite 4 is a mistake. He hasn't shown yet that he belongs in that group and even if he had the stats to back up such a thing I would still be saying wait just a bit. This is a tough league to make it in and you just never know what could happen. Heck not too long ago Carson Palmer was considered one of the best up and coming quarterbacks and was being mentioned with that elite group. Look at him now bouncing from team to team and by many being considered a bottom half of the league starter. That is why I say wait. I'm not ready to prop any of the young guns up but I can also still recognize what they have done so far in their career. Wilson has done a heck of a job and deserves to be mentioned among that top-10 at this point in his career. He plays well within the system around him and does his job. You can't ask much more of him that what he is already doing.

I think you simply rate each QB on how they did that game and season. You can have a broader context discussion, but it gets highly subjective.

For example, the only reason I don't rate Foles higher is he was a mid season replacement so he didn't get a full 16 games in, otherwise I'd have him top 3. Even with a shorter season he still gets very high praise. Does that mean I think he is guaranteed to be a top 5 QB a few years from now? Of course not. QB's can have flashes of greatness and then fall off.

I have no idea what RW will be like 5 or 6 years from now and really neither does anyone on either side of this discussion. All we have is how he is today and what impact he had on this last season. Everything else is speculation.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy does not state it as opinion. He states it as if it is factual.

It can be debated one way or the other. The stats certainly back up Wilson but there are circumstances to the situation that can be used try and show that he is more of a game manager.

I look at it like this: As a life-long Seahawk fan who has watched from the very first game that the franchise played, I can state without a doubt that Wilson is THE BEST QB that we have ever had. He is better than Zorn, Krieg, and Hasselback. The only QB you could even make an arguement for is Moon who played for only 2 years and was not really better at that point of his career.

People just don't seem to understand his poise. His athleticism and arm are good but that is not what makes him a good QB. The fact that he consistantly makes the correct decisions to almost every situation and never seems to panic under extreme pressure is what sits him apart. People keep on bringing up the D and the run game but the OL was absolutely horrible in pass protection so Wilson often had to make something out of nothing. The Seahawks have never had a QB that does this this well before.

MAYBE (or maybe not) there are other QBs that could have won the SB with the Seahawks team last year but it remains highly debatable. The only QBs that I could emphatically state that would have would be Brady, PManning, Brees, and Rodgers (who was injured much of last year). While I will not state that Wilson is better than all of the others, I will also not state that any of the others are specifically better than he is.

I do know this much AS FACT (this is not opinion), despite what drooling morons like the OP might think: The Seahawks would not have won the SB this last year with any of the other QBs that have been on their roster over the last 3 years. A fading Hasselback, Flynn, TJackson, etc. would not have put this team over the top.

Sorry but wasting lots of words on not much talent, of course RW is better than those hacks, lol.

What stats back up Wilson? (QB rankings are 100% opinion, 100% of the time too me.)Id much rather talk intangibles than stats. But if it is stats that seal the deal for people who put RW as high as 3-4, I just want to know which ones. Personally I think he falls in the 7,8-11,12 range. But 7-13 is a broader, safer zone. Six and higher is too high for my liking. Too young, too good of a team. (Rivers being the non-ring wearer id have higher. With Luck right there.)Had he not started the SB for some odd reason, I don't think he'd crack a top ten outside of Seattle.(One game, one team win, huge impact league wide.) But I don't disagree on him being the best QB I've seen for the Seahawks. (Moon was older than every player in the league basically. Prime Moon isn't even close. Arguably the best QB ever for three NFL franchises and one CFL. That's impressive.)

Agreed, lots of QBs could make it happen on that Seahawk team. smh

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady couldn't have even made the playoffs with the Seahawks team last year? How is that comment not being considered up there in stupidest posts on this topic? Can't believe that one for the most part got skipped over. Yes Wilson had to use his scrambling behind a bad OL but don't think for a second that Peyton and Tom haven't at times had bad OL's and they still have had great success. They have played on teams where they had to score 30 points a game to win and still found ways to get to the playoffs. Throw in Peyton knows how to counter a bad OL in using the great run game to set up play action quick passes. He had the quickest release of any quarterback in the league from snap to throw this past season. He has always been near the top in that category. Brady if I remember right is one of the best quarterbacks in the league with pressure in his face. Also look at his team this past year where he had a very shaky OL because of injuries and horrible receivers. He just turned to the run game and a decent defense just like Wilson this last year.

I know right? Of course PM and TB could have made it happen, lol.

Still stings I see Raider fan. That was karma from a game Oakland hosed NE on in 70's

Karma got straightened out in '00? (snow bowl) huh?

Great memory my friend. The days of Russ Francis and Dave Casper.

Wonderful football games back then... wish NFLN would find those instead of stupid Top 100 lists.

Those truly were the days my friend.

The correct spelling of "bandwagon" may help your case immensely. And then again, probably not.

Can't win an argument with Einstein here. Feel like I came to a gunfight with a pee shooter. And please dumb down the words , we are not all Mensa Cardholding members like you. You get hit by lightning like John Travolta in that movie?

LMFAO!

Don't be so hard on your weak ass division. Wish we had teams like Oakland and KC who haven't won in like forever. SD is marginal at best

Hold on a second now.... this ain't tiddlywinks, you got Buffalo and the Jests, add Miami, huh?

Best corner - Yes
Best RB - No, 2nd best :suds:
Best Safety - Absolutely

No not the best at every position, but a couple. You're not very good at arguing your points correctly.

Hey, check it out. I used the correct form of "you're" just for you!

I think you are splitting hairs, the points are valid.

We heard the same thing before this last season. Fans up here and pundits from all over predicted he would have a sophomore slump. Defenses were going to take the read zone away (they didn't run it that much in his first season anyway) and they would find ways of containing him.

Now it's he did ok, but only because of the defense he has and because of lynch and we can't give him credit for what he is doing now or compare him to anyone else and what they are doing now until he has done it for a few more years.

In a few more years the bar will be moved yet again.

Who doesn't predict a sophomore slump? Huh? I do every time even on my team, it's elementary my dear.

If anyone considered Carson Palmer an up and coming elite quarterback they're are a lot of mean words and rotten vegetables that should be thrown at them.

About 10 years ago Palmer may have been, but the Steelers saw fit to that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But why? His 2nd season in the league (2005) he had the 2nd best quarterback rating of any quarterback in the league (Peyton Manning is the only one to finish better). He finished 4th in yards, 1st in completion percentage, 8th in yards per attempt, and had the most touchdown passes in the league. People had every right to think he was the next great elite quarterback in the league. He suffered a bad injury in the playoffs and never recovered.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many playoff wins does Carson Palmer have in his career?

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Def not last season but last 13 years or so I bet AFCE went to the AFCG more than them and more SB's
SB, do you really think that most football fans care about the "last 13 years, or who won the SB 10/11/12 years ago"? I for one, only care about the upcoming year. You my friend are living in the past.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SB, do you really think that most football fans care about the "last 13 years, or who won the SB 10/11/12 years ago"? I for one, only care about the upcoming year. You my friend are living in the past.
As of last year (very few fans care about 10 years ago) the AFC West is a better football division, than the AFC East.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you simply rate each QB on how they did that game and season. You can have a broader context discussion, but it gets highly subjective.

For example, the only reason I don't rate Foles higher is he was a mid season replacement so he didn't get a full 16 games in, otherwise I'd have him top 3. Even with a shorter season he still gets very high praise. Does that mean I think he is guaranteed to be a top 5 QB a few years from now? Of course not. QB's can have flashes of greatness and then fall off.

I have no idea what RW will be like 5 or 6 years from now and really neither does anyone on either side of this discussion. All we have is how he is today and what impact he had on this last season. Everything else is speculation.
Damn good comment and the fool that started this thread is basing Wilson two years in the NFL as a speculation when he stated "Russell Wilson: The most overrated player in the NFL"!!!!

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Welcome to the life of a Lions fan. I always try to forget last year and focus on the next.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of last year (very few fans care about 10 years ago) the AFC West is a better football division, than the AFC East.

Its even better now, the Raiders are much stronger.

The Seahawks showed how to play Manning.

Kansas City and San Diego are on the decline.

Raiders get the division or the wild card !!!!

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hey living in past works for me, but seriously I agree that last year the West was way better than the East but before that I disagree. The only conference with a better winning Pct say last 10 years in the AFC was the north, who I a mentioned in another thread, was the toughest in the AFC with Pitt, Balt and Cincy. Usually West only has one team in playoffs. Another fan ( Broncos ) on here stated that AFCE was better. I'll wager that East has a better record this year

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alhzeimers I love it Dont think I have ever seen anyone respond to his own post and argue it. One year and thats it. Facts are facts Jack

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what an amazing thread

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey living in past works for me, but seriously I agree that last year the West was way better than the East but before that I disagree. The only conference with a better winning Pct say last 10 years in the AFC was the north, who I a mentioned in another thread, was the toughest in the AFC with Pitt, Balt and Cincy. Usually West only has one team in playoffs. Another fan ( Broncos ) on here stated that AFCE was better. I'll wager that East has a better record this year

AFC East is Boston's (Patriots, they will always be Boston, the turds.)
The Jets are a joke.
The Bills don't hve the talent or coaching.
Miami underperforms and can't play in cold weather.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFC East is Boston's (Patriots, they will always be Boston, the turds.)
The Jets are a joke.
The Bills don't hve the talent or coaching.
Miami underperforms and can't play in cold weather.

Crackie they havent been in Boston for over 40 years Thus the NE Patriots You actually think raiders have a shot? Bills, Jets and Miami beat them 9 out of 10 times