• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson: The most overrated player in the NFL

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's some low quality posting from Seahawk fan. Making it verrry personal, since someone has an opinion that's different. I expect that from Wilson fans. But not team fans.

I get why he doesn't understand the difference between fact and opinion, but you too? :L

No one has any problems with someone having a different opinion. I never have, and never will. I ONLY attack these idiots when they say their opinions are fact and refuse to support it. See the difference?

I've actually shot these types of clowns down when they are doing this against teams I don't even like such as the 9'ers. It has nothing to do with whether or not I agree with an opinion. If you are going to make blanket statements of FACT you damn well better be willing to back it up or GTFO.

You do get that he is just trying to troll and stir up shit by making those claims right? If he was just sharing an opinion and wanted a discussion about it there would be no need to treat him like a bottom feeding scum sucking troll. Sadly that is not the case here.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get why he doesn't understand the difference between fact and opinion, but you too? :L

No one has any problems with someone having a different opinion. I never have, and never will. I ONLY attack these idiots when they say their opinions are fact and refuse to support it. See the difference?

I've actually shot these types of clowns down when they are doing this against teams I don't even like such as the 9'ers. It has nothing to do with whether or not I agree with an opinion. If you are going to make blanket statements of FACT you damn well better be willing to back it up or GTFO.

You do get that he is just trying to troll and stir up shit by making those claims right? If he was just sharing an opinion and wanted a discussion about it there would be no need to treat him like a bottom feeding scum sucking troll. Sadly that is not the case here.

Agree with you here, you walk the talk regarding this :suds:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning and Tom Brady couldn't have even made the playoffs with the Seahawks team last year? How is that comment not being considered up there in stupidest posts on this topic? Can't believe that one for the most part got skipped over. Yes Wilson had to use his scrambling behind a bad OL but don't think for a second that Peyton and Tom haven't at times had bad OL's and they still have had great success. They have played on teams where they had to score 30 points a game to win and still found ways to get to the playoffs. Throw in Peyton knows how to counter a bad OL in using the great run game to set up play action quick passes. He had the quickest release of any quarterback in the league from snap to throw this past season. He has always been near the top in that category. Brady if I remember right is one of the best quarterbacks in the league with pressure in his face. Also look at his team this past year where he had a very shaky OL because of injuries and horrible receivers. He just turned to the run game and a decent defense just like Wilson this last year.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What stats back up Wilson? (QB rankings are 100% opinion, 100% of the time too me.)Id much rather talk intangibles than stats. But if it is stats that seal the deal for people who put RW as high as 3-4, I just want to know which ones. Personally I think he falls in the 7,8-11,12 range. But 7-13 is a broader, safer zone. Six and higher is too high for my liking. Too young, too good of a team. (Rivers being the non-ring wearer id have higher. With Luck right there.)Had he not started the SB for some odd reason, I don't think he'd crack a top ten outside of Seattle.(One game, one team win, huge impact league wide.) But I don't disagree on him being the best QB I've seen for the Seahawks. (Moon was older than every player in the league basically. Prime Moon isn't even close. Arguably the best QB ever for three NFL franchises and one CFL. That's impressive.)

The OP made blanket statements that Wilson is the most overrated player in the league and was factually carried and made to look better than he is by his defense. Your same argument about why stats are less than reliable also apply here.

I hold no punches back when people come on with these ridiculous flame bait threads.

You can point out to them that statistically Seattle has one of the bottom 3 offensive lines in pass blocking last season and all of these blind haters refuse to even look at it because it goes against their supposed 'facts'.

You can point out that you cannot pin even one loss in his two years as his fault and that too gets ignored. Just look at last season and their 3 losses. The colts game Wilson drove the field to take the lead late in the game on the road. The defense couldn't stop Luck from driving for the win. Against the 9'ers both defenses played well all day and it was Earl Thomas' blown coverage against Gore that allowed the eventual go ahead score. It was entirely on him and he admitted it. That last loss at home against zona they had again taken the lead and once again the defense couldn't hold them. It took one of the plays of the year by Arizona to get that last score.

It is far too simplistic to say Seattle only wins because of Lynch and their defense. It's a team sport and you really can't have weak links and win a superbowl.

Do I think he is a top 4 QB in the league right now? No, but somewhere between 5-7 isn't unreasonable. Any ranking by fans or experts is speculative and no more right than anyone else. This is why it is an opinion and not some form of blanket fact.

I even tried to show him how easy it is to troll up people with so-called facts that really aren't when I said RW had the best first two seasons in the history of the league. Kind of easy to make statements meant just to rile up people isn't it? If you want that in a more opinion based way you would say something more like statistically he had one of the best first two year stretches in league history. As we well know stats aren't everything and the game today is quite different than it was 20 years ago so using just stats to compare players from different eras is hardly valid. That's a reasonable approach to a topic.

You can agree with the overall opinion of the OP, but you can't support how it was delivered or the rhetoric that goes along with it. Nor can you support making claims of fact that have no supporting evidence. Simply saying something is obvious so it's true is never going to win the argument.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not defending a "wilsons top 5" Im defending that "wilson is NOT Trent Dilfer"

Russel Wilsons 2nd Pro Season
3,357 Yards, 26-9 TD-INT 63.1 comp %, 101.2 passer rating, Superbowl win
Tom Bradys 2nd Pro Season
2,843 yards, 18-12 td-int, 63.9 comp %, 86.5 passer rating, Superbowl win

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not defending a "wilsons top 5" Im defending that "wilson is NOT Trent Dilfer"

Hard to compare the two though considering how many rule changes have happened since Brady's second season compared to now. Passer Rating has sky rocketed in the last 10 years.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning and Tom Brady couldn't have even made the playoffs with the Seahawks team last year? How is that comment not being considered up there in stupidest posts on this topic? Can't believe that one for the most part got skipped over. Yes Wilson had to use his scrambling behind a bad OL but don't think for a second that Peyton and Tom haven't at times had bad OL's and they still have had great success. They have played on teams where they had to score 30 points a game to win and still found ways to get to the playoffs. Throw in Peyton knows how to counter a bad OL in using the great run game to set up play action quick passes. He had the quickest release of any quarterback in the league from snap to throw this past season. He has always been near the top in that category. Brady if I remember right is one of the best quarterbacks in the league with pressure in his face. Also look at his team this past year where he had a very shaky OL because of injuries and horrible receivers. He just turned to the run game and a decent defense just like Wilson this last year.

Cdumler, The poster was right. Had PEy pey or Tom, or really any qb that needs a clean pocket would of been killed last year. Whats lost in this argument is the fact that SEattles Oline was ATROCIOUS last year.

I haven't seen anyone give Wilson any credit for playing behind that mess. Add to that the NFC Wests defenses and Tom Terrific and peypey would of been in BIG BIG trouble.

The STL Monday night game Wilson was sacked 7 times. Put a statue back there and it would of easily been double that.

Last edited by a moderator:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to compare the two though considering how many rule changes have happened since Brady's second season compared to now. Passer Rating has sky rocketed in the last 10 years.

Just wanted those stats out there as fact. Trent Dilfer Wilson is not. Nor is he Tony Romo. Romo does not win the NFC championship game last year. Remember how badly Seattle was outplayed the first half? Add in a few romo mistakes and SF would of been up 20.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, Brady no longer has the Tuck Rule.

Wilson was better in his first 2 years than Brady.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cdumler, The poster was right. Had PEy pey or Tom, or really any qb that needs a clean pocket would of been killed last year. Whats lost in this argument is the fact that SEattles Oline was ATROCIOUS last year.

I haven't seen anyone give Wilson any credit for playing behind that mess. Add to that the NFC Wests defenses and Tom Terrific and peypey would of been in BIG BIG trouble.

You guys are getting ticked at others for presenting very little facts when this kind of comment is exactly the same thing. Peyton and Brady both get rid of the football much faster than Wilson. They also run very different offenses than what the Seahawks ran this past season. They like to spread a defense out and because of the threat of the run with Lynch and the pass with one of those great quarterbacks teams would have to hesitate at the line in not know what is coming at them. Again they also play the more short to intermediate type passing game. They don't need an OL to hold a defense forever waiting for receivers to get open. All they need is to read the defense at the line of scrimmage. See where the mismatch is and then they throw to a spot before a receiver is even open. They don't have to wait. You really think in the what 30+ years in the league that these 2 guys have been and the fact that they have only missed the playoffs 3 times COMBINED and all of those came in the first few years of their career that they couldn't take a team with a top-5 RB and the best defense in the league to the playoffs? That is the definition of stupid.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted those stats out there as fact. Trent Dilfer Wilson is not. Nor is he Tony Romo. Romo does not win the NFC championship game last year. Remember how badly Seattle was outplayed the first half? Add in a few romo mistakes and SF would of been up 20.

I agree he isn't Trent Dilfer but I also wouldn't call him Tom Brady.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course that's true. You still can't ignore how much more efficient he was in TD/Int ratio or even just how many TD's he had on a team that is supposed to be 90% about the run and the defense.

RW isn't the greatest QB to ever play the game and he has plenty to work on. He also has areas he will never excel at and weaknesses every defense will prepare for such as there are routes he will basically never hit because of his height/vision issues.

What does make him impressive as a young QB is that defenses do know what he is going to do and still haven't yet found a way to stop him from doing the few things he does so damned well. He lives off of creating plays on the run outside the pocket and on completing crossing route passes. Just take those away right? Well few have so far. He does a few things very well and doesn't make many big mistakes. At the end of the day what more can you ask for from your starting QB?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to put my two cents in. How in the hell can anyone say Wilson is "overrated", when no one is saying he is an "elite"QB (yet)?? How many "elite" QBs are there in the NFL as of today, maybe 2 0r 3??

Oldtimer, go to the threads where anyone is ranking QB's and places Wilson lower than 6-7. There are plenty. Look at the comments from Seahawk fan. Enough said

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He isn't tom brady today, but it is fair to compare the two at the same point in time of their career. The stats alone may not be the whole story given the different era, but it does given enough to allow people to form an opinion.

You specifically question why some seattle fans get defensive about others opinions, but I see you and others always jumping on theirs. It's ok for both sides to differ and present their cases.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in time, Russell Wilson is the best QB in the league.

Kewl, you're welcome to that opinion as a Hawk Homer, but just know that is totally ridiculous from the perspective of the average NFL fan outside the NW.

Word. Or Rodgers or Peyton for that matter.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole argument is a derivative of those stupid "Top 100" lists on NFLN.

I hate those damn things.