• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: RRSO | #7 OU vs. #19 TX | 11am CT | FOX

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never seen a head coach yelling at his defense "Goddammit you're getting off the field too fast. Ya gotta let them run more plays. Our offense is gassed!".

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TOP is mostly a worthless stat in individual games, except in its extremes. I think it is more of a cumulative issue. Using extremes to show my point, but here it is.

Army defense: has seen 252 plays
OU: 478 plays

It's way more important when your defense is your weak link. Hence why Oklahoma is so difficult to beat when they win the TOP battle. The less the defense is on the field the better for Oklahoma. This year Oklahoma has lost the TOP battle in every single game except 1. They've been playing with fire all year after dominating TOP the prior 2 years.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, our defense is pretty mediocre this year as well. I think that's why Herman has slowed the game down so much, despite all the whining of our fans, the offense has been our strength this year. We didn't really lose to Maryland because of the offense, we couldn't stop a fucking jet sweep in week 1. :doh:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, our defense is pretty mediocre this year as well. I think that's why Herman has slowed the game down so much, despite all the whining of our fans, the offense has been our strength this year. We didn't really lose to Maryland because of the offense, we couldn't stop a fucking jet sweep in week 1. :doh:

Orlando is getting a bit of a free pass. Defense rises to a speed bump there is no need for last minute heroics. I am not saying they needed to get stops and turnovers, but at least make OU earn the scores and take some time off the clock

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orlando is getting a bit of a free pass. Defense rises to a speed bump there is no need for last minute heroics. I am not saying they needed to get stops and turnovers, but at least make OU earn the scores and take some time off the clock

We lost some big time playmakers off the defense last year. So I agree, Orlando should get a pass. I never would have dreamed that Poona is the one who was replaced the easiest though. Nelson has done a good job. LBer is where we are struggling IMO. Just fucking terrible in coverage. Especially Wheeler.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth is that with the offense OU has they don’t need many stops to beat most anyone. That is why I’m so amazed that they aren’t more aggressive on defense. So what if you get burnt every now and then, at least your defense isn’t on the field all day. Take chances and even if it only pays off 1 out of 3 you are still ahead because you don’t wear out the defense and you keep the offense in rhythm.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost some big time playmakers off the defense last year. So I agree, Orlando should get a pass. I never would have dreamed that Poona is the one who was replaced the easiest though. Nelson has done a good job. LBer is where we are struggling IMO. Just fucking terrible in coverage. Especially Wheeler.

Biggest issue is Locke and Wheeler. Last year LB was Gary and Malik, neither will be confused for smart LBs that are students of the game. Both could fly and make crazy athletic plays. Wheeler isn’t a student of the game and can’t make those athletic plays. Locke left in the OSU game and the defense got better. I would rather see Thompson (think that is correct) there, if you aren’t going to get great play might as well get more athletic and build for next year

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth is that with the offense OU has they don’t need many stops to beat most anyone. That is why I’m so amazed that they aren’t more aggressive on defense. So what if you get burnt every now and then, at least your defense isn’t on the field all day. Take chances and even if it only pays off 1 out of 3 you are still ahead because you don’t wear out the defense and you keep the offense in rhythm.

Interesting point, because you have a WV fan in here. Their defense matches their offensive output. They are bringing the house or dropping 8. They do a good job of mixing that up.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest issue is Locke and Wheeler. Last year LB was Gary and Malik, neither will be confused for smart LBs that are students of the game. Both could fly and make crazy athletic plays. Wheeler isn’t a student of the game and can’t make those athletic plays. Locke left in the OSU game and the defense got better. I would rather see Thompson (think that is correct) there, if you aren’t going to get great play might as well get more athletic and build for next year

I don't know what happened to Locke. His Soph. year he had one of the lowest completion rates in coverage in the entire country. He has been terrible for 2 years in the Orlando defense.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait . . was that played yesterday? I wish someone could have posted a thread or two to give a fella some warning . .

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's exactly the mentality I'd have. Stoops is over their red-faced, pulling his hair out. He should be having fun, gambling, bringing the house. So what if you give up a TD? It's only seven points, and your offense can get that back quick.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, I'd like to see Josh Thompson, or even #15 Chris Brown. Hell, there are so many good DBs on the roster. I even think Davante Davis, for all his great measurables, is going to be replaced next year with a better player.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting point, because you have a WV fan in here. Their defense matches their offensive output. They are bringing the house or dropping 8. They do a good job of mixing that up.

Sometimes they even drop all 11

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, I'd like to see Josh Thompson, or even #15 Chris Brown. Hell, there are so many good DBs on the roster. I even think Davante Davis, for all his great measurables, is going to be replaced next year with a better player.

I always though Davis would be a good Nickel or Safety. He got pushed around a bit. At least I noticed it on 2 TD plays

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Postscript: when I saw Texas had 27 first downs.

27 fucking first downs. :eek: