• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: RRSO | #7 OU vs. #19 TX | 11am CT | FOX

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An explosive quick strike offense is bad for your defense. Stoops may suck, but he is also in a bad position. Long time consuming drives need to become part of his play calling goals if he wants OU to reach it's potential.

Then let the D get a 3 and Out. Get off the fucking field yourselves.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s kind of circular. Time consuming drives help a defense, but nothing helps a defense out more than a 3 and out. I always thought hurry-up spread was a magnifying offense. A couple 3 out offensive series and you cook your defense

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s kind of circular. Time consuming drives help a defense, but nothing helps a defense out more than a 3 and out. I always thought hurry-up spread was a magnifying offense. A couple 3 out offensive series and you cook your defense

We used to do that to other teams. Now they do it to us. I have no pity for OU being on the defensive side of the ball for 100 plays in a game. That's just shitty defense.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We used to do that to other teams. Now they do it to us. I have no pity for OU being on the defensive side of the ball for 100 plays in a game. That's just shitty defense.

It is a shitty defense. Ian Boyd, who does pretty good work, said this might be the worst defense Texas faces this year

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a shitty defense. Ian Boyd, who does pretty good work, said this might be the worst defense Texas faces this year

Our Texas friends weren't even gloating last night after the game. They were amazed how bad OU is now on defense. And you guys beat the living shit out of us because of it. Good on you.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our Texas friends weren't even gloating last night after the game. They were amazed how bad OU is now on defense. And you guys beat the living shit out of us because of it. Good on you.

The odd thing is even if the results haven’t always been there Texas has been the more physical team for the last 3-5 years. I remember the Mack years when OU would just beat Texas up

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The odd thing is even if the results haven’t always been there Texas has been the more physical team for the last 3-5 years. I remember the Mack years when OU would just beat Texas up

Me too.:tsk:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An explosive quick strike offense is bad for your defense. Stoops may suck, but he is also in a bad position. Long time consuming drives need to become part of his play calling goals if he wants OU to reach it's potential.
100% true. But, Riley will have to adapt because quick strike is in his DNA, not long, time consuming drives.

I think he will. He's pretty sharp. If Saban and Patterson are willing to evolve from their DNA in the other direction, why not Riley?

You can see it from the look on Saban and Patterson's faces after their offenses score real quick. It is like "Oh shit, the defense is going to be on the field too much." But, they've adapted.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question daxx. Do you think the reason for OU coming back late in the game was their good play or the Texas defense being gassed?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% true. But, Riley will have to adapt because quick strike is in his DNA, not long, time consuming drives.

I think he will. He's pretty sharp. If Saban and Patterson are willing to evolve from their DNA in the other direction, why not Riley?

You can see it from the look on Saban and Patterson's faces after their offenses score real quick. It is like "Oh shit, the defense is going to be on the field too much." But, they've adapted.

And if Riley takes your advice nothing will change at OU. We'll score 50 points and still get beat. OU needs to play defense like it did in the 70's under Switzer. They would 3 and Out people all day long. And when we absolutely, positively had to stop someone, they could do it. Now? It's a clown show. A great defense is never going to be "gassed" because they're going to get off the field and let the other side's defense take it in the ass for a bunch of plays.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know you guys are too butt hurt right now to have an honest discussion. And for the record, I do believe Mike Stoops sucks...However, look at the actual data since Lincoln Riley came to the Sooners. When OU wins the TOP battle, they play decent defense. At least good enough to win, but obviously could still be better with a better DC.

La. Monroe 350 yds - W
TCU 514 yds - W
Texas 425 yds - W
Kansas 170 yds - W
Iowa St 290 yds - W
Baylor 504 yds - W
West Virginia 579 yds - W
Oklahoma St 403 yds - W
Auburn 339 yds - W

9-0 397.1 YPG allowed

UTEP 167 yds - W
Ohio St 350 yds - W
Iowa St 449 yds - L
Texas 428 yds - W
Kansas St 412 yds - W
Texas Tech 437 yds - W
Oklahoma St 661 yds - W
TCU 424 yds - W
Kansas 155 yds - W
TCU 317 yds - W
Georgia 527 yds - L

9-2 393.4 YPG allowed

Iowa St 447 yds - W

1-0 447 YPG allowed

19-2 when winning the TOP
9-3 when losing the TOP battle

If you notice, this year is different than the last 2 years.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question daxx. Do you think the reason for OU coming back late in the game was their good play or the Texas defense being gassed?

OU was striking quick and our offense didn't do shit to rest our defense. Also, when I say rest, I mean more than physical rest. The mental side and the time to coach up the mistakes is also very important. These are elite athletes, they recover quickly physically.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, he did it the last 2 years. This year, I think he believes the quick strike nature of his team requires going for the big play. Murray is such an explosive QB. Mayfield was so good at managing the game he could pretty much do whatever was required. Murray could probably do the same if asked. But those 50+ yd TD's are so tempting. Murray can get them in bunches.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you guys are too butt hurt right now to have an honest discussion. And for the record, I do believe Mike Stoops sucks...However, look at the actual data since Lincoln Riley came to the Sooners. When OU wins the TOP battle, they play decent defense. At least good enough to win, but obviously could still be better with a better DC.

La. Monroe 350 yds - W
TCU 514 yds - W
Texas 425 yds - W
Kansas 170 yds - W
Iowa St 290 yds - W
Baylor 504 yds - W
West Virginia 579 yds - W
Oklahoma St 403 yds - W
Auburn 339 yds - W

9-0 397.1 YPG allowed

UTEP 167 yds - W
Ohio St 350 yds - W
Iowa St 449 yds - L
Texas 428 yds - W
Kansas St 412 yds - W
Texas Tech 437 yds - W
Oklahoma St 661 yds - W
TCU 424 yds - W
Kansas 155 yds - W
TCU 317 yds - W
Georgia 527 yds - L

9-2 393.4 YPG allowed

Iowa St 447 yds - W

1-0 447 YPG allowed

19-2 when winning the TOP
9-3 when losing the TOP battle

If you notice, this year is different than the last 2 years.

When Switzer's teams were hanging points on people we often lost the TOP. But his teams could stop people and that was the big difference between then and now. Let Alabama play like us and watch what Saban would do. He damn sure wouldn't slow down his offense so he could win the TOP.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if Riley takes your advice nothing will change at OU. We'll score 50 points and still get beat. OU needs to play defense like it did in the 70's under Switzer. They would 3 and Out people all day long. And when we absolutely, positively had to stop someone, they could do it. Now? It's a clown show. A great defense is never going to be "gassed" because they're going to get off the field and let the other side's defense take it in the ass for a bunch of plays.

You ran the freaking wishbone and dominated TOP back then. Nobody could stop Switzer's offense. They were constantly in 3rd and short and converted over and over again. Much like Nebraska in the 90's.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Switzer's teams were hanging points on people we often lost the TOP. But his teams could stop people and that was the big difference between then and now. Let Alabama play like us and watch what Saban would do. He damn sure wouldn't slow down his offense so he could win the TOP.

I disagree they lost TOP often. Maybe against the other run oriented teams of the Big 8 who had to play that way to have a shot, but in the big games against equal opponents, they completely controlled the clock.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mostly just bad defense. The prevent messed them up, but it’s worse when 2 year starting Safety is jumping underneath routes. It’s like the coach called prevent and the players didn’t understand what that meant. They weren’t gassed OU took less than 3 minutes to score 3 TDs

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ran the freaking wishbone and dominated TOP back then. Nobody could stop Switzer's offense. They were constantly in 3rd and short and converted over and over again. Much like Nebraska in the 90's.

TOP is mostly a worthless stat in individual games, except in its extremes. I think it is more of a cumulative issue. Using extremes to show my point, but here it is.

Army defense: has seen 252 plays
OU: 478 plays

Last edited:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly just bad defense. The prevent messed them up, but it’s worse when 2 year starting Safety is jumping underneath routes. It’s like the coach called prevent and the players didn’t understand what that meant. They weren’t gassed OU took less than 3 minutes to score 3 TDs
I've always said that prevent defenses just prevent the team that is leading from winning. JMO.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always said that prevent defenses just prevent the team that is leading from winning. JMO.

It was bigger than that. I though Orlando had his worst game as a play caller. He was very conservative. I am sure that was in respect to Kylers ability to take off. Texas played back mostly and played straight up. Still gave up 3 TDs to flat out coverage busts. Texas defense is not as good as last year. LBs are questionable. Nickel position should be targeted by opposing offenses all year and he is a 3 year starter