• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster Shake-Down

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the roster battles for the last few roster spots really starting to shape-up, we've got a pretty good idea of what players (i.e.- how many) we will keep at which positions.

I'm always curious what you fuckers think on this stuff, so have at it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions won't dismiss possibility of carrying 2 fullbacks into regular season

I'll lead with this one...

I don't see us keeping two FBs to start the season, but we did just that last year, so you never quite know.

Basically, if we keep both Burton and Igwenagu it will be for special teams purposes. Igwenagu has factored pretty heavily into the both coverage and blocking units so far through camp and the first two preseason games. If the coaches determine that he's essential to have on special teams than he may take a roster spot away from a 6th LB, or 4th RB, or 5th DE- positions that are primarily reserved for a heavy special teams contributor.

If I had to bet I'd say we carry just Burton (a virtual roster lock, imo) and cut Igwenagu, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see us brake camp with both guys on the roster.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions won't dismiss possibility of carrying 2 fullbacks into regular season

I'll lead with this one...

I don't see us keeping two FBs to start the season, but we did just that last year, so you never quite know.

Basically, if we keep both Burton and Igwenagu it will be for special teams purposes. Igwenagu has factored pretty heavily into the both coverage and blocking units so far through camp and the first two preseason games. If the coaches determine that he's essential to have on special teams than he may take a roster spot away from a 6th LB, or 4th RB, or 5th DE- positions that are primarily reserved for a heavy special teams contributor.

If I had to bet I'd say we carry just Burton (a virtual roster lock, imo) and cut Igwenagu, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see us brake camp with both guys on the roster.

Iggy is another guy that could be on the roster but not active unless there are enough semi-injured players. He could take Van Noy's spot (probably at LB as well, LOL) and then maybe drop back to non active later in the season.

I have never been a fan of keeping a player for the sole purpose of special teams. If he has no chance of being inserted into the lineup then he is wasting a roster spot IMO.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iggy is another guy that could be on the roster but not active unless there are enough semi-injured players. He could take Van Noy's spot (probably at LB as well, LOL) and then maybe drop back to non active later in the season.

I have never been a fan of keeping a player for the sole purpose of special teams. If he has no chance of being inserted into the lineup then he is wasting a roster spot IMO.
I couldn't disagree more on that one. Special teams in the NFL requires a very specific skill-set, and these guys who are primarily just special teams contributors wind up playing a lot of snaps over the course of a season- far more snaps, in fact, than the 3rd string true "back-ups" that they're competing with for roster spots.

Most teams have a few guys who are there just because they play all four phases of special teams very well. Special teams are huge throughout the course of a game in terms of the battle for field position, so I'm a big fan of dedicating a few spots to guys who excel in that area...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cut Winn keep Zenner.
Or do we keep both? That's another area I wanted to discuss.

Do we keep 4 RBs, or 5, now that Zenner doesn't look like he'd clear waivers in order to get to the practice squad? Keeping 5 seems a bit unusual, but teams do it every year. The Patriots always seem to have 5 RBs on their roster ever year, for instance.

If we kept 5 at the position it would be the exact same logic as carrying 2 FBs- it would be a special-teams move. Winn would bump a LB, Safety,WR, or DE off the back end of the roster as the coaches sorted out those last few spots.

Overall, I think I'd keep Winn, Zenner, Igwenagu, Cudjo, Boggs, or Wooten over Kellen Moore in final cut-downs. Moore is proving to be nothing special, and all of the guys mentioned above are ready to contribute, either on special teams or in a reserve role at their respective positions. I don't see any scenario where Moore contributes this season. Maybe Mayhew can flip him for a 7th rounder, given the lack of QB depth across the league...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winn is a jag. I'd rather keep an extra lineman.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems inevitable. He's not just all of a sudden get better. What's he's got is a lingering issue. At least we didn't trade up into the 2nd round to get him. :-p
I just don't want to see us lose someone with a future once he costs a roster spot.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't want to see us lose someone with a future once he costs a roster spot.

Especially Zenner. If Kellen Moore was worth keeping around....I mean, c'mon.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially Zenner. If Kellen Moore was worth keeping around....I mean, c'mon.
I pretty much meant Zenner.

But if we kept Theo, AA, Zenner AND Winn, plus two FBs(wtf!?!), a receiver or LB or whatever is going to find work elsewhere. Then, when Fumbilitis McSecurityGaurd gets around to playing football again, we lose a RB. (Which would hopefully be Winn.)

Kellen Moore has been a waste of time his whole career imo. We don't really have a backup QB on the roster. Haven't since 2013.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad I don't waste my time making up personal reasons to hate guys on our that everyone else in the football universe realize are perfectly decent players.

Must be frustrating to feel that strongly about something one has absolutely no control over whatsoever...

#ImpotentIgnorance

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad I don't waste my time making up personal reasons to hate guys on our that everyone else in the football universe realize are perfectly decent players.

Must be frustrating to feel that strongly about something one has absolutely no control over whatsoever...

#ImpotentIgnorance
I never did like you much either.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't disagree more on that one. Special teams in the NFL requires a very specific skill-set, and these guys who are primarily just special teams contributors wind up playing a lot of snaps over the course of a season- far more snaps, in fact, than the 3rd string true "back-ups" that they're competing with for roster spots.

Most teams have a few guys who are there just because they play all four phases of special teams very well. Special teams are huge throughout the course of a game in terms of the battle for field position, so I'm a big fan of dedicating a few spots to guys who excel in that area...

I agree with Old Lion here. IMO any guy other than Mulbach should be able to be a quality backup. I backup who can come off the bench if needed. Guys who create competition and put the fear of being replaced by them in the starters. I go back to Wendling always in this debate. Guy was a stud on ST's. He absofuckinglutely sucked as a safety.

Especially when you can't dress all 53 guys on Sunday. Then it makes it that much worse IMO when certain positions lose a few guys and some scrub takes the field.

Would you rather keep that 5th or 6th DE that can play inside also, or some DB who is a liability when called upon?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Old Lion here. IMO any guy other than Mulbach should be able to be a quality backup. I backup who can come off the bench if needed. Guys who create competition and put the fear of being replaced by them in the starters. I go back to Wendling always in this debate. Guy was a stud on ST's. He absofuckinglutely sucked as a safety.

Especially when you can't dress all 53 guys on Sunday. Then it makes it that much worse IMO when certain positions lose a few guys and some scrub takes the field.

Would you rather keep that 5th or 6th DE that can play inside also, or some DB who is a liability when called upon?

I have to agree with TP here. Special teams can make a team better, or it can break a team. However, I would limit it to one, maybe two at the most. Depth can't afford more than that.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with TP here. Special teams can make a team better, or it can break a team. However, I would limit it to one, maybe two at the most. Depth can't afford more than that.

I can see how y'all would like a couple guys. I love competition and I feel sometimes the reason you get stuck with guys like Lewis and Palmer as reserve LB's is because those extra special team spots, but that's just me. Those guys couldn't push anybody to be better.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cut Winn keep Zenner.

MEH !

Trade Bell, keep Winn as a 4th RB, goal-Line along with Burton as a tandem on 3rd/4th and 1.

Winn's ST play and goal-line is worthy to retain him. plus he's cheaper than Bell.