• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ropers post game 2 weeks of bliss !

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivera is, (in old school parlance) sending a message to Haskins in hopes that he responds in a more acceptable fashion. What Rivera fails to realize is that he's dealing with youngsters that don't adhere or respond well to old school methods and methodology. It's a social media world now, hell even math is taught differently than in prior generations.

I agree that RR is older and that he is coaching a younger generation of players, who definitely view the world differently than he does.

That being said, all good coaches can communicate with all kinds of people. That’s what makes them good coaches.

Gibbs could communicate with everybody really well. So can Reid. So can pete Carroll. So could Dick Vermeil. So could Tony Dungy. John Madden. Etc.

The good coaches just have “it.”

Everybody who has been coached by Rivera says players love him because of how well he communicates with his players (and not AT his players). I believe there were quotes to the effect of “you’ll run through a wall for coach rivera” by former players when washington hired him.

RR isnt the problem.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a good post chiller. I don't think it is old school or new school but proving you can coach and talking to the players.

Two things Jay Gruden couldn't do was pick a DC (maybe Allen influenced that) and he did not seem to hold players accountable. At least that was the perception.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Sportster.

It’s not a shock that people who are skilled at listening to others, and talking to them (and not at them) often rise to the top of their industries.

with very few exceptions, most jobs require interpersonal skills to varying degrees, and most people feel valued when they are listened to and heard.

RR seems to be able to combine both the ability to listen to people from all walks of life and hear them, AND maintain a high level of expectation.

If Haskins cant handle that, then too fucking bad for him.

Like I said, RR isnt the problem.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Sportster.

It’s not a shock that people who are skilled at listening to others, and talking to them (and not at them) often rise to the top of their industries.

with very few exceptions, most jobs require interpersonal skills to varying degrees, and most people feel valued when they are listened to and heard.

RR seems to be able to combine both the ability to listen to people from all walks of life and hear them, AND maintain a high level of expectation.

For the record I don't believe that this is an either/or choice. That said, I agree that RR isn't the problem, it is however, a circumstance in which both can be right in their own way of seeing things. The issue is, you can't make DH older and more in tune with RR's generational norms nor can you make RR younger and more in line with DH generational norms. The public character assassination was wrong even if they were true. I won't swear to the following being true universally, but for a great many of us, our 25 year old selves, would have a lot to say to our 22, 23 year old selves, most of which would start with, "What were you thinking about when you..."

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Sportster.

Well said chiller!

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record I don't believe that this is an either/or choice. That said, I agree that RR isn't the problem, it is however, a circumstance in which both can be right in their own way of seeing things. The issue is, you can't make DH older and more in tune with RR's generational norms nor can you make RR younger and more in line with DH generational norms. The public character assassination was wrong even if they were true. I won't swear to the following being true universally, but for a great many of us, our 25 year old selves, would have a lot to say to our 22, 23 year old selves, most of which would start with, "What were you thinking about when you..."

Discipline=success

As for public character assassination, they are in a very public job. They have questions they have to answer. This new generations norms are screwed Up. They need to grow up.

As for my 25 year old self, I had just got done with flight training in the military. I had discipline because it was forced upon me and expected. I did what was required for the job and what was need3d to care for my family. I would imagine your 25 year old self was the same way. At 25, these are not children. They are adults. It is time to grow he hell up.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be true if DH wasnt a player amd RR werent his coach.

DH doesnt need to “be older, and more
In tune with RR’s generational norms.” He needs to recognize that the world doesnt give a shit what he wants, or what he needs, or what he expects.

We have been told by various other players that there is little chance that RR’s messages are lost in translation.

Thus, the onus is on DH.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discipline=success

As for public character assassination, they are in a very public job. They have questions they have to answer. This new generations norms are screwed Up. They need to grow up.

As for my 25 year old self, I had just got done with flight training in the military. I had discipline because it was forced upon me and expected. I did what was required for the job and what was need3d to care for my family. I would imagine your 25 year old self was the same way. At 25, these are not children. They are adults. It is time to grow he hell up.
Just to be clear, your 25 year old self wouldn't have any advice to give your 22, 23 year old self?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be true if DH wasnt a player amd RR werent his coach.

DH doesnt need to “be older, and more
In tune with RR’s generational norms.” He needs to recognize that the world doesnt give a shit what he wants, or what he needs, or what he expects.

We have been told by various other players that there is little chance that RR’s messages are lost in translation.

Thus, the onus is on DH.
Two things can be true at the same time. Life doesn't always present us with an endless string of either/or choices uniformly. BTW: the world doesnt give a shit what anybody wants, needs, or what any individual expects.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course...invest in Apple...other than that....no.
You remind me of my friends son who knew he wanted to be a doctor in grade school. Lo and behold he is at Johns Hopkins today finishing his senior year remotely... lovely to be so decided when you’re young. Quite a gift actually.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You remind me of my friends son who knew he wanted to be a doctor in grade school. Lo and behold he is at Johns Hopkins today finishing his senior year remotely... lovely to be so decided when you’re young. Quite a gift actually.

Not quite the same. When I was 25, I was a winged aviator. When I was 22, I was already committed to navy. I really didn’t know if flying was what I wanted, but it seemed like an adventure.

I was always told, whatever you are doing, do it well.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not quite the same. When I was 25, I was a winged aviator. When I was 22, I was already committed to navy. I really didn’t know if flying was what I wanted, but it seemed like an adventure.

Now you sound like my Dad...Navy.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What plane did you pilot?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What plane did you pilot?

Helicopter actually.

Started in T-34 mentor, airplane.

Went to TH-57, which is a Bell206.

Then I was the last of the H-46 pilots in the Navy. I say last because I was the most junior when we retired them in November, 04.

Then I instructed in the TH57.

Now I fly the S-76 and AW139.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awesome!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Military flying was awesome. Civilian piloting is just a glorified taxi cab driver or bus driver depending on which aircraft you are flying.
More than a few pilots in my squadron made very good livings as commercial airlines pilots so I will have to disagree with you there. One pilot I keep in contact with lives on an animal reserve/housing development. I would drive that taxi too. Of course not the same as flying an F-14. Probably did you share of transferring supplies from the supply ship to carriers etc. I watched many an unrep during my time in the Navy.

Never heard anyone use the term winged aviator which drew my interest.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than a few pilots in my squadron made very good livings as commercial airlines pilots so I will have to disagree with you there. One pilot I keep in contact with lives on an animal reserve/housing development. I would drive that taxi too. Of course not the same as flying an F-14. Probably did you share of transferring supplies from the supply ship to carriers etc. I watched many an unrep during my time in the Navy.

Never heard anyone use the term winged aviator which drew my interest.

I never said it wasn’t a good living and in terms of job, it is a good one. I said the military flying was awesome. In comparison, civilian piloting is quite boring and comparable to driving a taxi or bus.

Some of the most fun flying you can do in replenishment...especially if the boats are in CONREP position.

I threw the term out there because at 22, wings of gold was the goal.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said it wasn’t a good living and in terms of job, it is a good one. I said the military flying was awesome. In comparison, civilian piloting is quite boring and comparable to driving a taxi or bus.

Some of the most fun flying you can do in replenishment...especially if the boats are in CONREP position.

I threw the term out there because at 22, wings of gold was the goal.
My pops wanted to be an aviator more than life itself. He adored and was extremely proud of his time served with the Navy in his 20s and was the kind of man who taught my bro and I every word to ‘Anchors Away’ (as well as all other military songs) as early as I can remember, heh.

Sadly, he had contracted mumps at 7 and had a 70% hearing loss in one ear as a result. He was so dogged in his ambition tho, that he managed to pass (with some female inside help, lol) the hearing requirements that enabled him to enter the flight training program down in Pensacola.

He was caught out, just short of graduation, with a freak accident on the runway where he and his copilot ended up with a fire in the cockpit...they were both transported to the ER and the Navy learned of his hearing issues. Nuff said, his pilot dreams ended there, much to his chagrin. Shortly thereafter he transitioned to a career in the Foreign Service with AID and memories of what could have been always brought a smile.

He envied the careers of those who were able to fulfill their dreams in the Sky...so I get completely exactly what you are saying.

Mad respect to you.

and of course to my pops who was an amazing father and public servant. May he rest in power.