• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rookie quarterbacks

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a fair amount of the Minny/Carolina game today and I have to say that I was impressed by Christian Ponder. Cam Newton also continued to show why he will be a star in this league. Dalton struggled with his accuracy at times today, but I think he's already a decent qb. I can't remember a season where 3 rookies showed so much promise. Anyone else?

BTW-- I think Gabbert has his moments - His footwork is terrible and he makes some bad decisions, but he hangs in there. He might not be as awful as I thought.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah I'd say, so far, this has been a pretty good rookie class of QBs.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All fair points. I think maybe we are seeing why 4 QB went in the first round and 6 in the first 37 or so picks. They can all play. Ponder has been very impressive. Completely rejuvenated that Vikings offense. We all know about Newton and Dalton. Gabbert has potential, he just wasn't ready to start this year. The Jags fucked up by thinking they could dump Garrard and get by with Luke McCown early on. Gabbert shouldn't be playing right now.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're 100% correct about Gabbert although he apparently had surgery so I'm not sure how much he would have played anyway.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah is guess he needed back surgery or something. Unfortunate for Gabbert cause he needed the benefit of sitting a year and learning.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm more interested in watching the trend over the next couple of years. There's no way to tell right now, but I wonder if this is largely a product of the shift to a passing league. These days offenses are heavily favored. Assuming this to be the case, while the gap between the best and the middle of the road will decrease, the best will also only get that much better.

To preliminarily look at some stats over the last couple years:

-In 2009 and 2010, no QB's averaged 300 ypg passing.
-This year, 4 QB's are averaging 300+.

But for now, that really isn't saying anything considering 1) premature since the biggest jump in change of style was probably this season and 2) completion % and the number of QB's averaging 250+ ypg has shown no consistent trend over the same 3 years.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what makes it really interesting is that before the draft there were plenty of folks saying this year's crop of rookie quarterbacks was overrated. It's possible that Rey is right and the league rules have made better passers out of 'average' guys. And I definitely see this point - How easy is it to get a PI these days? It's a little ridiculous. Yet, given the low value people put on the 2011 qbs, I've been impressed.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year I think will have three great QB prospects, go in the top 10, all 3 of them.

Luck
Landry
Moore

New wave of young guns coming into this league.

Denver, Miami will be well advised to draft one of those three.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year I think will have three great QB prospects, go in the top 10, all 3 of them.

Luck
Landry
Moore

New wave of young guns coming into this league.

Denver, Miami will be well advised to draft one of those three.

I'd put Barkley ahead of Landry Jones. Not big on Landry personally. He's a statue in the pocket and throws way too many INTs

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Barkley will not even go until the 2nd round.

A guy that is a sleeper is Case Keenum from Houston. Dude is having a hell of a season. Klinger come to anyones mind here? lol I don't know. GUy has been lights out this year so far.

I think Barkley will go in the 2nd round unless Pete Carroll has a hard on for him being from USC and decides to draft him if the first few are gone by his pick.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quarterbacks sometimes have to merge their styles with the team. They may seem ineffective during their first year; however, they blossom after that. Football is probably the most team orientated sport and the quarterback is just one piece of the team. Trust me, a great offensive line can make a rookie quarterback look pretty good. Note: This was all logical until Peyton Manning proved me wrong. Maybe a quarterback is one than just one of eleven.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morning Bengal Nation,gotta luv the rookie QB we have!I really like the way the offense and Dalton are coming together more and more and the D has really made a name for itself...only going to get better boy's.Have a great week everyone and god bless! GO BENGALS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tiger1.gif

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is I thought Ryan Mallet was the best QB prospect in the draft, and he hasn't even seen the field yet.