• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rome has broken back, out 6-10 weeks

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I doubt any player gonna sign that deal knowing every year past 5 is easily cutable. The current contract rules make any large contract a risk, I'm sure if the NFL suggested some kind of injury relief the union would jump on board as long as it didn't take from the player. The iffy part would be teams trying to cheat the system claiming player injury as the reason for release. O
It's just a thought I've had for years, Romo isn't what brought this up for me. If it were possible it would take bigger brains than mine to work it out.

I will agree Dak is in a great position talent wise around him, but he's young and playing QB for Dallas can eat you up.

Well I was talking about using a signing bonus in FA to pump up a players salary who's expecting a few more years.

Take a guy like Forte... 3 years 12 mil is his deal. What if you offered him 8 years 22 mil with 16 mil in his signing bonus. Going extreme here, but you can see the point.

Cap hits would be league min + 2 mil a year (pro-rated signing bonus). If he retires after 3 years at 34 years old you've had a cap hit of 9 mil, and the rest is cleared, but Forte got 18.25 mil paid out in cash.

The rest of the salaries and signing bonuses go away if you have a retirement clearing the signing bonus due. A team with cash on hand would be able to offer him a better deal and keep their cap hit lower. Hockey was doing that with 15 year deals pushing guys into their 40's.

The problem with any longer guarantees or injury relief is those are still under the cap. Just depends to whom that money goes. If you are paying out 10% more for injury payouts, that's 10% smaller paychecks you are cutting on new deals.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My best to Rome and its citizens in this troubling time. Godspeed for a swift and full recovery.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I was talking about using a signing bonus in FA to pump up a players salary who's expecting a few more years.

Take a guy like Forte... 3 years 12 mil is his deal. What if you offered him 8 years 22 mil with 16 mil in his signing bonus. Going extreme here, but you can see the point.

Cap hits would be league min + 2 mil a year (pro-rated signing bonus). If he retires after 3 years at 34 years old you've had a cap hit of 9 mil, and the rest is cleared, but Forte got 18.25 mil paid out in cash.

The rest of the salaries and signing bonuses go away if you have a retirement clearing the signing bonus due. A team with cash on hand would be able to offer him a better deal and keep their cap hit lower. Hockey was doing that with 15 year deals pushing guys into their 40's.

The problem with any longer guarantees or injury relief is those are still under the cap. Just depends to whom that money goes. If you are paying out 10% more for injury payouts, that's 10% smaller paychecks you are cutting on new deals.
I understand there's issues with my idea, but it's just an idea from a fan. If it's possible it would take lawyers to hammer out the details. Romo's current contract had 40M with no bonus money tied to 2018 and 19. I don't think the plan was for him to be the Dallas QB past 17. The contract redo's pushed the cap hit to what is is today. Maybe this will teach the team they can keep kicking the can down the road.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea the actual rules but the NFLPA is really fucked up and pitiful as a union if Romo has a career ending injury and it hurts the Cowboys in the salary cap.

Not really... That's how it goes.

They paid him 25 million in a signing bonus to sign that extension then converted another 12.5 mil into a signing bonus later to cut their cap costs. That money is spent to him already but only hits the cap a bit over every year of his contract.

If you want the other option, that would have been to pay him in roster bonus's and salary. Which they could have done, but then players like Dez Bryant and Tyron Smith would not have been able to be kept because of those big cap hits not being spread out.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Romo returns what's the over/under on how many games he plays before getting injured again.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand there's issues with my idea, but it's just an idea from a fan. If it's possible it would take lawyers to hammer out the details. Romo's current contract had 40M with no bonus money tied to 2018 and 19. I don't think the plan was for him to be the Dallas QB past 17. The contract redo's pushed the cap hit to what is is today. Maybe this will teach the team they can keep kicking the can down the road.

I think Romo worded his bonus money into his salary. IE he gets 19 mil next year but if he doesn't participate in 90% of the workout program he loses 500k of that. Basically the same as an 18.5mil salary with a 500k workout ltbe bonus.

Really 2017 is where they could cut their losses as you say... or ask to rework his deal for less, or if he's playing great keep going. Which is pretty standard, may have been 2016 but they pushed that back with the rework to sign Dez.

But if you are going to take that risk with a player of pushing back signing bonuses, QB is the position to do it with. One of the "safer" positions in terms of injuries/age taking away ability to play

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They probably regret nickel and diming Foles now, even if Dak did emerge.
No way. The goal is the playoffs. If Foles were here it would have been to play a game or two max and hold down the fort, not half a season. Will Dak be better? I really don't know, but if Romo is out half the year he needs to be if they are going to make the playoffs. If Foles were here Dak would have missed out on all of those first team snaps he got in practice (Romo doesn't practice Wednesday's and was out for a couple of weeks) and would have come into the preseason games later too. So even if he played well it wouldn't have moved him ahead of Foles and we would all be saying it was against 3rd stringers. So...thank God Dallas did not bring Foles in. But, now they may be looking at bringing someone in at cut down day and stashing Showers on the practice squad in case something happens to Dak or he shits the bed.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might want to check the Dallas salary cap situation. If Tony retires today Dallas is fucked. I'm not even sure they can handle the cap if he retires in 2017.
Exactly what I have been saying for years. Maybe now some Cowboy fans that thought restructuring Romo each year and getting under the cap was a good idea and proof they didn't have any cap problem will finally see it too...

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I have been saying for years. Maybe now some Cowboy fans that thought restructuring Romo each year and getting under the cap was a good idea and proof they didn't have any cap problem will finally see it too...

Very true

Romo will be a cowboy this year

a june 1st cap cut might be possible for next year but that's a long ways away

JMHO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea the actual rules but the NFLPA is really fucked up and pitiful as a union if Romo has a career ending injury and it hurts the Cowboys in the salary cap.
IN theory I agree with you, but the simple fact is that every team knew the rules and Dallas knew Romo was an injury risk and yet they still pushed those rules as far as they could by restructuring Romo and kicking his cap hit down the road and even kept signing other players and thus only has themselves to blame if that is what happens. They are risk takers when it comes to the cap just as they are acquiring players that could boom or bust...

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By: K.D. Drummond | 17 hours ago

The Cowboys have learned that franchise quarterback Tony Romo’s back injury is more serious than originally thought. The club’s doctors have identified a L1 fracture that is expected to keep the quarterback sidelined anywhere between an optimistic estimate of four weeks and up to 10 from other accounts.

As this is Romo’s second broken back, on top of three broken clavicles and two other back surgeries, plenty are questioning whether or not Romo will choose to retire at the conclusion of the 2016 season. As it stands, that would have a serious impact on future Cowboys salary caps.

Because of how NFL salary cap accounting works, the financial ramifications of Romo retiring and the team choosing to cut him are aligned in most ways.

Starting in 2017, Romo has three years remaining on his contract. That includes the base salaries for all three years, as well as prorated signing bonus amounts which count towards the cap in each of those years.

The amounts are as follows:

Year Base Salary Prorated SB Cap Hit
2017 14,000,000 10,700,000 24,700,000
2018 19,500,000 5,700,000 25,200,000
2019 20,500,000 3,200,000 23,700,000

As base salaries are obviously not paid to retired or released players, the important parts here are the prorated amounts on each of the years remaining.

Romo has $19.6 million remaining of unamortized signing bonus. If he outright retires, that would accelerate onto the 2017 ledger, meaning the Cowboys would save $5.1 million of space on next year’s cap.

That would also clear up $25.2 million of 2018 space that is currently earmarked for Romo, and $23.7 million of similar 2019 space.

Financially speaking, that flexibility would be a boon for the Cowboys.
There is also a possibility that due to his affinity for the club, Romo could allow the club to release him as what was formerly known as a June 1st cap casualty. If that were the case, then only the 2017 prorated bonus amount ($10.7 million) would hit the cap next year, giving Dallas the savings of Romo’s entire 2017 base salary, $14 million.

If that were the case, then the $8.9 million prorated amounts for 2018 and 2019 would then be on the 2018 salary cap as dead money.

That would mean the Cowboys would save $10.6 million on the 2018 cap, and still the same $23.7 million in 2019 space.

Is that all about right ? to the cap gurus

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IN theory I agree with you, but the simple fact is that every team knew the rules and Dallas knew Romo was an injury risk and yet they still pushed those rules as far as they could by restructuring Romo and kicking his cap hit down the road and even kept signing other players and thus only has themselves to blame if that is what happens. They are risk takers when it comes to the cap just as they are acquiring players that could boom or bust...
Quality non homer post about the reality of the Boys decisions regarding Romo and his $ these past few years.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By: K.D. Drummond | 17 hours ago

The Cowboys have learned that franchise quarterback Tony Romo’s back injury is more serious than originally thought. The club’s doctors have identified a L1 fracture that is expected to keep the quarterback sidelined anywhere between an optimistic estimate of four weeks and up to 10 from other accounts.

As this is Romo’s second broken back, on top of three broken clavicles and two other back surgeries, plenty are questioning whether or not Romo will choose to retire at the conclusion of the 2016 season. As it stands, that would have a serious impact on future Cowboys salary caps.

Because of how NFL salary cap accounting works, the financial ramifications of Romo retiring and the team choosing to cut him are aligned in most ways.

Starting in 2017, Romo has three years remaining on his contract. That includes the base salaries for all three years, as well as prorated signing bonus amounts which count towards the cap in each of those years.

The amounts are as follows:

Year Base Salary Prorated SB Cap Hit
2017 14,000,000 10,700,000 24,700,000
2018 19,500,000 5,700,000 25,200,000
2019 20,500,000 3,200,000 23,700,000

As base salaries are obviously not paid to retired or released players, the important parts here are the prorated amounts on each of the years remaining.

Romo has $19.6 million remaining of unamortized signing bonus. If he outright retires, that would accelerate onto the 2017 ledger, meaning the Cowboys would save $5.1 million of space on next year’s cap.

That would also clear up $25.2 million of 2018 space that is currently earmarked for Romo, and $23.7 million of similar 2019 space.

Financially speaking, that flexibility would be a boon for the Cowboys.
There is also a possibility that due to his affinity for the club, Romo could allow the club to release him as what was formerly known as a June 1st cap casualty. If that were the case, then only the 2017 prorated bonus amount ($10.7 million) would hit the cap next year, giving Dallas the savings of Romo’s entire 2017 base salary, $14 million.

If that were the case, then the $8.9 million prorated amounts for 2018 and 2019 would then be on the 2018 salary cap as dead money.

That would mean the Cowboys would save $10.6 million on the 2018 cap, and still the same $23.7 million in 2019 space.

Is that all about right ? to the cap gurus
Add in his 2016 earnings and it looks a little bleaker.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add in his 2016 earnings and it looks a little bleaker.
Already been discussed, the conversation is when he is released or retires, since neither looks like a real possibility for this season it doesn't matter.