• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roger Craig HOF

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger Craig is about the most unselfish player that ever lived. In my opinion he should have been a first ballot, unanimous, hall-of-famer:

• First player to both rush and receive for 1,000 yards in a season
  • Made the playoffs every year of his career
  • 3 Super Bowl wins
  • NFL offensive player of the year 1988
  • 4 Pro Bowls
  • First player to make Pro Bowl playing halfback and fullback
  • Broke 2,000 yards (combined rushing/receiving) in a season twice
* taught Jerry Rice to run the hill
* etc., etc.

Any perceived lack of overall numbers (good, but taken alone, are not standalone stellar) should really be mitigated by the fact that he played fullback (Wendell Tyer was the primary running back) for the first 4 years of his career. Additionally, he played in the west coast offense, which distributes the ball widely.

The fact the RC is not in the HOF is a crime. It must be rectified.

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, Roger will probably only make it on the senior selection. The sports writers will never select him. When his peers are the senior voters, that is when he won't be overlooked.

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're right. Just being a bit idealistic. The 49ers are way under-represented in the HOF, starting with Craig. Sometimes all it takes is the idea of injustice occurring. :)

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never understood how you can be a pioneer at something and not get your due recognition. Craig paved the way for RBS to be runners & catchers. Yes their was great talent on the team in the 80s but that shouldn't penalize Craig from being a HOF. Fumble in 91 aside :L

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That fumble in the final seconds of the 90 NFC championship tarnished his rep a lot. If my memory serves me correct, I think we cut him the following season.

I remember that fumble being even worse than Kyle Williams' fumbles because we were in the final seconds with the lead and just needed to run the clock out. Just cover up, nothing fancy, Roger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQeQCdqTS78

On a positive note, I still remember those two 80 yard td runs he had in one game, I think vs the Rams. He used to keep them knees going.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never understood how you can be a pioneer at something and not get your due recognition. Craig paved the way for RBS to be runners & catchers. Yes their was great talent on the team in the 80s but that shouldn't penalize Craig from being a HOF. Fumble in 91 aside :L

Sorry, I just read your post after I did mine. Not trying to steal your thunder.

:noidea:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That fumble in the final seconds of the 90 NFC championship tarnished his rep a lot. If my memory serves me correct, I think we cut him the following season.

I remember that fumble being even worse than Kyle Williams' fumbles because we were in the final seconds with the lead and just needed to run the clock out. Just cover up, nothing fancy, Roger.

On a positive note, I still remember those two 80 yard td runs he had in one game, I think vs the Rams. He used to keep them knees going.

Ha, that fumble was so bad that for the longest time when I thought of it, I remembered it as a dark and stormy day. I watched a highlight of it a few years ago and was surprised that it was so bright out, because I remembered it as such a dark day... the brain is a funny thing.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Jerry Rice's biography book, he talks about how the first thing he wanted to do when he went to the 49ers was find the one who was the hardest worker and do workouts with him. It turned out to be Roger Craig.

Also, one thing I read in the state finals program when I was in high school mentioned Roger Craig scoring 5 touchdowns in a semifinals game and his team still lost. They mentioned it being probably the greatest semifinals/finals performances ever, and his team lost.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also a guy at my church who ran against Roger Craig in track as well. My friend said that he was a fast in track, but he was nothing compared to Roger Craig.

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you hit the nail on the head. Without that fumble, he probably would be in the hall.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I just read your post after I did mine. Not trying to steal your thunder.

:noidea:

its cool man that fumble probably scared a lot of fans. We would have been the 1st team to 3 peat and it would have cemented the 49ers as the greatest dynasty in the NFL.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone think Gore has a chance? Right now Gore is #34 on the all time rushing yards list. AP is #33 and has 10 more yards than Gore but is 2 years younger. If somehow Gore can play 3-4 more years and get 3,000-3,500 more rushing yards do you think he can make it? That would give Gore 12,300 rushing yards and he would be in the top 10 of all time. Gore would have more rushing yards than these players: Jim Brown, Marshall Faulk, Marcus Allen, Franco Harris, Thurman Thomas & OJ.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone think Gore has a chance? Right now Gore is #34 on the all time rushing yards list. AP is #33 and has 10 more yards than Gore but is 2 years younger. If somehow Gore can play 3-4 more years and get 3,000-3,500 more rushing yards do you think he can make it? That would give Gore 12,300 rushing yards and he would be in the top 10 of all time. Gore would have more rushing yards than these players: Jim Brown, Marshall Faulk, Marcus Allen, Franco Harris, Thurman Thomas & OJ.

Probably not first ballot, but he has a really good shot. I'm talking about a 70% chance at getting in.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It would be tough for Gore to get in the HOF IMO but a Superbowl MVP wouldn't hurt

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger Craig is about the most unselfish player that ever lived. In my opinion he should have been a first ballot, unanimous, hall-of-famer:

• First player to both rush and receive for 1,000 yards in a season
  • Made the playoffs every year of his career
  • 3 Super Bowl wins
  • NFL offensive player of the year 1988
  • 4 Pro Bowls
  • First player to make Pro Bowl playing halfback and fullback
  • Broke 2,000 yards (combined rushing/receiving) in a season twice
* taught Jerry Rice to run the hill
* etc., etc.

Any perceived lack of overall numbers (good, but taken alone, are not standalone stellar) should really be mitigated by the fact that he played fullback (Wendell Tyer was the primary running back) for the first 4 years of his career. Additionally, he played in the west coast offense, which distributes the ball widely.

The fact the RC is not in the HOF is a crime. It must be rectified.

I think a reasonable argument could be made for his inclusion in the HoF. I'd call him a borderline case.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Roger will eventually get in from and unbiased perspective he is borderline. Hes in the great player category but not sure hes in the one of the greatest category. When He was in his prime there were better running backs in the game. He definately is not in the Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson class of Running Back. I'd put him somewhere just behind Marshall Faulk.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

IMO no, cause don't think he'll get his stats high enough? unfortunately, stats are huge when it comes to the H-O-F, huge for most of them anyway.

he will have somewhat of a shot if he makes the Pro Bowl next two seasons, SF wins two SB's in a row, and Gore shines in both? ie he'll need a lot of help from the team, to garner huge attention.