• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rodgers to meet with the Jets

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is but the Packers want a lot in return and the Jets don't want to trade a lot to get him.

The Jets have the leverage since Rodgers wants to go to NY or he could just retire.

Just a matter of time.
Sounds like that time will be after June 1.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to know how the NFL is handling Rodgers' contract. Technically Rodgers is due a guaranteed $58.3M roster bonus in 2023. This can be converted into a signing bonus which would mean only a pro-rata 25% of it would count towards the 2023 cap. However this has not happened yet so technically they should be accounting for the whole $58.3M. If the Packers do exercise the option to convert the bonus they would remain responsible for the 75% that would be accounted for in future years. The Packers seem to be getting away with a cap violation.

...unless the NFL is planning to abandon preseason cap accounting by allowing every team to account for every contract in this way.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to know how the NFL is handling Rodgers' contract. Technically Rodgers is due a guaranteed $58.3M roster bonus in 2023. This can be converted into a signing bonus which would mean only a pro-rata 25% of it would count towards the 2023 cap. However this has not happened yet so technically they should be accounting for the whole $58.3M. If the Packers do exercise the option to convert the bonus they would remain responsible for the 75% that would be accounted for in future years. The Packers seem to be getting away with a cap violation.

...unless the NFL is planning to abandon preseason cap accounting by allowing every team to account for every contract in this way.

This is what the details spotrac state>

• 2023 Option Bonus: $58.3M (guaranteed, must be exercised between March 17, 2023 - Week 1)

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Why the Packers have all the leverage. The Packers know that the Jets need Rodgers, so they can basically tell New York, "Pay our asking price or we're not going to trade him." Yes, the Packers will eventually trade Rodgers no matter what, but they could milk this thing out past the draft if they wanted. The Packers are in no hurry to trade Rodgers and from a salary cap standpoint, it would actually be beneficial to Green Bay to trade Rodgers AFTER June 1. When the Packers trade Rodgers, they're going to take a $40.3 million dead cap hit, but if the trade comes after June 1, then that hit will be split over two seasons with $15.8 million coming in 2023 and $24.5 million in 2024 (Numbers via OvertheCap). Essentially, this means the Packers have almost all the leverage here. Doing a trade now doesn't benefit them financially, so they'd want to make up for that with draft compensation.
If Rodgers doesn't get traded he could show up at GB and make it uncomfortable.

GB has some leverage, but all is a bit extreme.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rodgers doesn't get traded he could show up at GB and make it uncomfortable.

GB has some leverage, but all is a bit extreme.

They are too far down this road as it is. If they don't trade him, they are stuck with him until 2025 given his cap hit goes up even more next year. Most GB fans that I have talked to are sick of his act and want him gone yesterday.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what the details spotrac state>
I know what it states. The Packers are trying to get the benefit of massive cap relief through use of a signing bonus without paying the signing bonus, without a specified date for the signing bonus, and then avoid responsibility for the future cap hits by trading him before the 2023 money becomes a signing bonus. The NFL has 4 options here: 1) Block the trade. 2) Force the Packers to pay the option and take the cap hits, (which would massively affect the trade price). 3) Find the Packers guilty of a massive cap violation and heavily penalise them. or 4) Allow every contract to have a non-timed option bonus clause that would effectively end the salary cap throughout preseason.

To be clear the Packers have done nothing wrong yet and as long as they pay and take responsibility for the option bonus they won't be doing anything wrong. However, I don't think it's possible for the Packers to absorb the $58.3M and accelerated dead money over 2023 and 2024. I can see them losing a 1st round pick over this.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even as a outsider this is a tad annoying. He's holding up the dominos. Rodgers... Dude... You're 39 years old.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even as a outsider this is a tad annoying. He's holding up the dominos. Rodgers... Dude... You're 39 years old.
At this point it's the Packers. They are pretending they have leverage and telling all their connections in media to post on their twitters about the Packers not being in a rush, but the Packers have an item they want to get rid of and the longer they wait the more they need to get rid of him.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Jets trade a first round pick for Rodgers, they are dumb as sh*t. If they trade multiple, the levels of their stupidity can't be quantified.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point it's the Packers. They are pretending they have leverage and telling all their connections in media to post on their twitters about the Packers not being in a rush, but the Packers have an item they want to get rid of and the longer they wait the more they need to get rid of him.

This is my perception right now as well... Packers are holding this up.

This article was interesting noting some key dates coming up Article_dates

Basically...
- April 27: draft date... Jets draft slot for this year probably lower than next year (would assume Jets improve record with Rodgers) and teams always prefer to have draft capital earlier than later.
- May 1: 5th year option date for Love... this will really show show the Packers hand. If exercise option show they are committed to Love. If deal falls through and Rodgers returns to Packers they have $75M tied up in QBs for 2024.
- June 1: Packers can spread Rodgers dead money over 2 years.
- Late July: Training camps start... someone will want to have Rodgers in camp if he does not change mind and wants to retire
- Sept 7 or 10th - start of 1st week... option date

Personally think Packers lose a lot of leverage after May 1st.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Jets trade a first round pick for Rodgers, they are dumb as sh*t. If they trade multiple, the levels of their stupidity can't be quantified.

yes and no... i do agree that it would be stupid... HERE IS THE BIG BUT.... Saleh needs to win to keep his job... if the jets fire Saleh after this season because of an embarassingly bad season, then they may still have their picks, but they are starting totally over with coaching again...

Rodgers coming, is what Saleh Needs for a chance of success.... and Saleh needs him to evolve as a coach... he was so ofensively inept last season, having a veteran future HOFer control the offense is priceless...

the jets really did put themselves in the corner... i dont think they can afford NOT getting Rodgers at this point....

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes and no... i do agree that it would be stupid... HERE IS THE BIG BUT.... Saleh needs to win to keep his job... if the jets fire Saleh after this season because of an embarassingly bad season, then they may still have their picks, but they are starting totally over with coaching again...

Rodgers coming, is what Saleh Needs for a chance of success.... and Saleh needs him to evolve as a coach... he was so ofensively inept last season, having a veteran future HOFer control the offense is priceless...

the jets really did put themselves in the corner... i dont think they can afford NOT getting Rodgers at this point....
No, it's definitely a yes. It would be utterly stupid of the Jets to surrender a 1st, let alone two of them as some pundits have suggested. And when you say the Jets put themselves in a corner, I'm pretty sure Rodgers all by his lonesome put the Packers in an even tighter corner. What team wants a 39 year old QB past his prime who openly states he wants to play for another team, and at almost $60mil to boot? Then throw in the additional fact that Jordon Love is on the final year of his rookie contract and still not able to prove whether he can be the starting QB.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's definitely a yes. It would be utterly stupid of the Jets to surrender a 1st, let alone two of them as some pundits have suggested. And when you say the Jets put themselves in a corner, I'm pretty sure Rodgers all by his lonesome put the Packers in an even tighter corner. What team wants a 39 year old QB past his prime who openly states he wants to play for another team, and at almost $60mil to boot? Then throw in the additional fact that Jordon Love is on the final year of his rookie contract and still not able to prove whether he can be the starting QB.

packers are not in a corner.... they have low expectations for 2023... they just want to get rid of rodgers... them holding out like this does nothing... it may make the owners look bad... but they are in total rebuild mode... when and how they get rid of Rodgers wont change that... especially if getting rid of him is not getting you the trade capital you are hoping for...

Jets put themselves in the corner because they think they can compete...

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way i see it, the Jets are bent over. Packers have 2 QB's and can let Erin sit on his ass and watch Love play. Or they get their asking price. Jets have............wait for it......Zach WIlson.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How passed his prime is he when he was just repeat MVP two seasons ago?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy, one season past. Next question.
Lol that's shortsighted. He lost the best WR in the league and they didn't replace him after allowing the offense to become Davante dependent.