• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Robinson Cano's struggles

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McClendon said Robinson Cano got caught looking at the outfielders' placement as he came off the bag and was picked off first by Erasmo Ramirez in the fifth inning of Thursday's 2-1 loss to the Rays, instead of checking the outfielders while on the bag and then turning his attention to the pitcher.

"Yeah, it was a mistake," McClendon said. "He turned his head. I would like to think that it cost us, but the way we've been swinging, I'm not sure it did. You'd like to think that. I've always said this. We want to make a big deal out of that play. It hurt. But one thing doesn't make you lose a game. It never does. We had many, many opportunities. We had a leadoff double and struck out three times in a row. I'm not going to put all that on Robbie. He made a mistake. You learn from it and move on."

This one put me over the top. Fuck Lloyd and his dumb-ass 'managing'. "You learn from it and move on"? He is 32 and making $240M. I assume you sign a guy like that because he has already 'learned' the game. If it was a rookie, maybe. But no way you excuse him and let him back in the lineup. Bullshit comment. Bullshit manager. Bullshit organization.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one put me over the top. Fuck Lloyd and his dumb-ass 'managing'. "You learn from it and move on"? He is 32 and making $240M. I assume you sign a guy like that because he has already 'learned' the game. If it was a rookie, maybe. But no way you excuse him and let him back in the lineup. Bullshit comment. Bullshit manager. Bullshit organization.

Great point... This isn't his first mistake this year on the bases... Remember this moment?

WATCH: Robinson Cano makes baserunning blunder of a lifetime - CBSSports.com

He forgot how many base runners there were and started walking home as if Morrison's base on balls had forced in a run

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Mariners ad: 'Mariner Baseball; It's Not Me, It's You'. They could have contests like tweeting in the excuse of the game after every loss. Winner gets garlic fries...after you buy the ticket to come in of course.

LOL... And have George Costanza as the spokesperson because he invented that line...

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cano only came here for the cash and it's showing right now. He's already checked out upstairs and the season isn't halfway over. I wish the clown would show some pride and figure out how to get something useful done now that he doesn't have that ridiculously short porch in Yankees stadium to work with. I guess the good thing is that ownership will have no choice but to clean house after this debacle.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fucking lamest excuse ever by a manager. Let's not forget he mistakenly walked off 3rd base as well against the Dodgers this season. You'd think he learned already. I don't know how else you can "learn" from that... especially on a day where the manager was walking them around the bases like retards.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still in denial with Robby.

I legitimately refuse to believe that he is checking out and just going to cash his paycheck. Such a situation would be so utterly devastating to this organization that I don't even want to contemplate the ramifications.

I have convinced myself that he will turn it around. If not this year, then next year. I just refuse to accept that someone we are going to be paying $24m a season for the next 8 and a half years is going to be a replacement level player.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty interesting piece from an ESPN article:

"Cano's strikeout rate is up, and his walks are down, but that doesn't necessarily reflect a lack of discipline. He's swinging at 34 percent of pitches outside the zone, which is pretty much in line with his career average. Of more concern: Cano is swinging and missing at an 8.7 percent rate, compared with 6.7 percent for his career overall.

Said an NL scout: "Cano's skills have not diminished that much. It's all mental with him. Cano has always had a problem with intensity and concentration. When he was surrounded by good players who put the pressure on him, he performed better. In Seattle, there are no players to put any pressure on him at all.
"

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still in denial with Robby.

I legitimately refuse to believe that he is checking out and just going to cash his paycheck. Such a situation would be so utterly devastating to this organization that I don't even want to contemplate the ramifications.

I have convinced myself that he will turn it around. If not this year, then next year. I just refuse to accept that someone we are going to be paying $24m a season for the next 8 and a half years is going to be a replacement level player.
I kind of am too. I still think he will turn it around this year. A few things that I have noticed with him at the plate are timing and lack of "pop" off the bat. You notice that he will hit the weak grounders to second all the time or hit a high foul pop down third base line. He seems almost too relaxed at the plate.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check please.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an FYI, Jack decided to keep a very viable MLB 2B on the roster over Ruggiano, just saying.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which had to do with their distrust of Ruggiano's defense and whatever else they won't talk about than anything else.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which had to do with their distrust of Ruggiano's defense and whatever else they won't talk about than anything else.

Yes cause any casual onlooker who looks at Ackley's tapes versus Ruggiano's tape would say Dustin is a better outfielder. I will give it up to Ackley that he makes amazing catches after horrible or poor read jumps. Ruggiano isn't a gold glover but Ackley is Ibanez with more range and less of an arm, both read balls so poorly that is made you think anyone could be a MLB outfielder.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes cause any casual onlooker who looks at Ackley's tapes versus Ruggiano's tape would say Dustin is a better outfielder. I will give it up to Ackley that he makes amazing catches after horrible or poor read jumps. Ruggiano isn't a gold glover but Ackley is Ibanez with more range and less of an arm, both read balls so poorly that is made you think anyone could be a MLB outfielder.

Not arguing that, but that is what was written about Jack and Lloyd's belief of Ruggiano.

I also love Ackley's arm. They have to cut him off in the infield dirt from a throw from mid-LF. Seriously, I threw better than him when I was 15.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not arguing that, but that is what was written about Jack and Lloyd's belief of Ruggiano.

I also love Ackley's arm. They have to cut him off in the infield dirt from a throw from mid-LF. Seriously, I threw better than him when I was 15.

I would love for him to speak publicly. I know he's no Jeff Nelson about airing his issues but damn there has to be a real reason, I've never seen him closely enough to talk about his defense before this season but he seemed good enough to replace LF and RF.

It's sad when there is a legitimate category between Ibanez arm and Johnny Damon's arm, and that is Ackley.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was making some boneheaded plays... Throwing behind runners, over the cutoff's head, not going hard after flyballs around the wall at the warning track (like Ackley does)... I just think McL realized that Rugg wasn't as good of an OF as they thought...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was making some boneheaded plays... Throwing behind runners, over the cutoff's head, not going hard after flyballs around the wall at the warning track (like Ackley does)... I just think McL realized that Rugg wasn't as good of an OF as they thought...

Agree with that, but still better than Ackley I believe and definitely better than WeAks.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So Lloyd had a doghouse for mistakes from him but nobody else?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edit that as it appears they finally have held one guy accountable in Rodney.