• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP, MLB Baseball. 1869-2019

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball is dying for a lot of reasons , but i don't feel like listing them all right now.

I'll just say this...there is a little to none connection between the players and fans. Most fans were disgusted when douchebags like Bryce Harper and Manny Machado actually got 300 million dollar contracts. Even though those players are talented, most fans didnt even want them on their teams. That was an interesting turn, fans don't normally care about salaries as long as it was "my" team that got the great player, but at the 250-300 million threshold, fans are just disgusted. Same with Gerrit Cole, the moment he signed that huge contract for the Yankees is the moment I started rooting against him.
At its height, when baseball was a nearly universal passion across America, players stayed with a team most of their career and made so little money from baseball that they sold insurance in the offseason.

American sports are fucked.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in an interview on MLB Network Wednesday that "We're going to play baseball in 2020. 100 percent."
"The best thing for our sport is to reach a negotiated agreement with the MLBPA," Manfred said. The commissioner added that "if it has to be in that March 26 agreement, so be it." The March 26 agreement he's referencing gives him the ability to schedule a season with a number of games of his choosing, a right he fully plans on exercising if MLB and the MLBPA aren't able to bridge the gap on economic issues. Manfred noted that players' concerns around health have mostly been resolved, so it appears it will all come down to the financials at this point. MLB's last offer was for 76 games at 75 percent prorated pay, which the MLBPA countered with an 89-game season with full prorated salaries. If Manfred implements a schedule himself, the season is expected to be around 50 games, with the players getting their full prorated pay.

BIGBLUE 49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very worried about the future of mlb in America . It has already been suffering the critiques of the "younger" folks as being too "slow" a game....a refrain oft repeated by them that need unrestricted scoring and continuos bang bang action.
The communications "black hole" silence out of the commissioner's office i think is paving the way for a "out of mind out of sight" shadow over baseball that may hasten its decline.
By comparison...almost every day we have word from the NFL as to what is being done to work up a season.
MLB ... silence that is deafening. MLB is making a fatal mistake with their "ostrich head in the sand" approach to the shutdown.
MLB ...is this how you forward the product?