• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has anyone else fallen in love with the Mets?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm most likely the only Giant fan that has been a Giant fan since they were in NY. I grew up with Willie, Mickey and the Duke. As Giant fan in the 50s, 60s and 70s and living in NY ... by birthright you hated the Dodgers and the Yankees. You just did. It was part of life. I also think you hated the Dodgers more because they were in the NL and they were league rivals. Just hated the Yankees because they were there. For me this world series is a nightmare. The two teams I have hated for at least 70 years are playing in a world series. All the FAs that we really wanted are ON these two damn teams.

I do understand MSgs comments though. These are the two best teams in baseball. This is what the sport is supposed to be all about. But as a Giant fan I could never root for the Dodgers in this situation.
MSG said he's not rooting for them. That's sort of a half truth. He WAS rooting for them in the NLCS. He stated that in one of his early posts. in my books ... he's still a Giant fan .... but not as crazed as most of the members here ... he's always looking at tomorrow ... wish I could .....would make today much easier ..

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm most likely the only Giant fan that has been a Giant fan since they were in NY. I grew up with Willie, Mickey and the Duke. As Giant fan in the 50s, 60s and 70s and living in NY ... by birthright you hated the Dodgers and the Yankees. You just did. It was part of life. I also think you hated the Dodgers more because they were in the NL and they were league rivals. Just hated the Yankees because they were there. For me this world series is a nightmare. The two teams I have hated for at least 70 years are playing in a world series. All the FAs that we really wanted are ON these two damn teams.

I do understand MSgs comments though. These are the two best teams in baseball. This is what the sport is supposed to be all about. But as a Giant fan I could never root for the Dodgers in this situation.
MSG said he's not rooting for them. That's sort of a half truth. He WAS rooting for them in the NLCS. He stated that in one of his early posts. in my books ... he's still a Giant fan .... but not as crazed as most of the members here ... he's always looking at tomorrow ... wish I could .....would make today much easier ..
That explains why I dislike the Yankees. Well, actually it is from a long history of them being a stacked team (if you read about the start of the American League in the early 1900s, you'll learn that the league basically pressured other teams to let the Yankees create a monolith in the league because the belief was that a good team in New York would draw fans and that would allow the league to stay solvent), holds the most titles as a result and just generally bothers me. Casual fans just pick the Yankees as their team because, well, they are the Yankees! Of course, if this were the Giants and not the Yankees I am talking about then maybe these things wouldn't bother me.

I do find the coincidences interesting. I happened to be born in 1977, the year these two teams faced on in the World Series. Another year that they played in each other for the title? 1981, when Fernando-mania was at its peak. Valenzuela just happen to pass two days before the start of this Fall classic. All superstition nonsense, but fascinating trivia nonetheless. Go Yankees! **gag**

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,900.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That explains why I dislike the Yankees. Well, actually it is from a long history of them being a stacked team (if you read about the start of the American League in the early 1900s, you'll learn that the league basically pressured other teams to let the Yankees create a monolith in the league because the belief was that a good team in New York would draw fans and that would allow the league to stay solvent), holds the most titles as a result and just generally bothers me. Casual fans just pick the Yankees as their team because, well, they are the Yankees! Of course, if this were the Giants and not the Yankees I am talking about then maybe these things wouldn't bother me.

I do find the coincidences interesting. I happened to be born in 1977, the year these two teams faced on in the World Series. Another year that they played in each other for the title? 1981, when Fernando-mania was at its peak. Valenzuela just happen to pass two days before the start of this Fall classic. All superstition nonsense, but fascinating trivia nonetheless. Go Yankees! **gag**
I have no problem with kids who grew up in NY, NJ, PA, or to a lesser amount, the other NE states selecting the Spanks as their team. But kids who grew up in CA, CO, MT or LA picking the Spanks is a problem (barring their dad being a big fan or something like that, of course).

The Spanks are allowed to have fans. They just aren’t allowed ALL the fans.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with kids who grew up in NY, NJ, PA, or to a lesser amount, the other NE states selecting the Spanks as their team. But kids who grew up in CA, CO, MT or LA picking the Spanks is a problem (barring their dad being a big fan or something like that, of course).

The Spanks are allowed to have fans. They just aren’t allowed ALL the fans.
Very little chance they will ever have “all the fans”

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They love LA vs NY. Corporate big wigs are salivating.

Fans may be hate-watching, but really are just looking at the rosters and saying “this is competitive balance”?

For the record, I praise the Spanks and dogs for their roster construction. ANY team can put up the bucks with proper management. Many simply choose to be leaches on the league rather than spend the money needed to contend.

But the optics are not good. These two rosters are ridiculous.
I'm going to hate "not watch"

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a kid and living in NYC during the 1950s-1970s was an experience that I don't believe will ever present itself again. There were 3 MLB teams all reachable by local transportation (public). You could get to any if the ballparks by a bus or a train or a combination of either. IMHO I think rhat most kids I knew were 'fans' of who thier parents were fans of. My father was a Ginat fan so I spent my youth at the Polo Grounds. I did go to Ebbetts field (Dodgers) on ocassion. Only to see the Giants play them. I have no recillwction of ever going to Yankee stadium to see a game. I've really never had any interest in AL teams in general. Still don't today. When the Giants left NY quite a few fans bailed. As a kid I couldn't do that.. They were still my team. Hell, they could have relocated to Mars and I still would have folliwed them. I would guess most Dodger fans felt the same way. My farher embraced the Mets. I just couldn't do that. Not sure why. I also seem to remember that most Giant and Dodger fans hated Stienbrenner more than the Yankee team itself. Giants and Dogers were always a rivalry. The Yankees were just a team that both fan bases .... just disliked ... in
general

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a tough call. A WS is very similar to the Stanley Cup in Hockey. It's a series. Multiple games. Why watch up to 7 games following 2 teams that you really don't have an emotional interest in. A superbowl is one game for everything. That in and of it self makes it emotional. Baseball wouldn't have that until somewhere around game 6. You need something to supply the emotional element if neither of the teams are YOUR team ....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,900.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a tough call. A WS is very similar to the Stanley Cup in Hockey. It's a series. Multiple games. Why watch up to 7 games following 2 teams that you really don't have an emotional interest in. A superbowl is one game for everything. That in and of it self makes it emotional. Baseball wouldn't have that until somewhere around game 6. You need something to supply the emotional element if neither of the teams are YOUR team ....
Most here DO have an emotional interest in these teams, though. My hatred of the dogs is actually pretty close to my love of the Giants. And the Spanks are my #2 most hated MLB team.

i will not watch any of the series, though. I will follow it, though.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most here DO have an emotional interest in these teams, though. My hatred of the dogs is actually pretty close to my love of the Giants. And the Spanks are my #2 most hated MLB team.

The problem, at least for me, is that I have an emotional interest both teams . . .to lose. That interest is almost even so they essentially cancel each other out and results in a neutrality toward the series. It may feel very different but it results in the same outcome of two teams that I have no interest in at all . . . not wanting to watch it. Had it been only the Yankees or only the Dodgers in the World Series then the result would be a strong interest to see the other team win, regardless what that other team was. The strong interest in the Dodgers/Yankees losing would override any neutrality for the competing team.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unknown.jpeg