• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Riley Cooper 5 years $25 mil

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can get Tate for around that amount I'd be more than happy. Numbers wise they gave about the same production. You can say Tate did a bit more with his punt return duties. So maybe 5 years 27-28 mil?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man you beat me to it, but yeah I agree there numbers are very identical, tate did a pretty good job returning punts but anything more than the ballpark of 4-5 years 25-30mil is definitely not a hometown discount

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Cooper than Tate to tell you the truth. He's not better after the catch but he does a much better job of getting open.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after that statement he made about black people I think like 90% of the seahawks would disagree

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is about the contract I'd expect Tate would get. I'd like to have him back, but I think he can be replaced and is not worth $5m in cap space.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the WR's in this year's FA class are going to find it a bit harder to get the contract they want after what was just shown in the combine. Teams are figuring out very quickly this might be the deepest WR class of the last 10-20 years so it is not worth signing a guy when you could replace him with say a 3rd round pick that can possibly be a better starter than the player you already have.

Honestly this was a pretty darn good deal for Cooper considering all the bad press around him and really in my opinion isn't that great of a receiver. He is at least replaceable. Nice to have on the team but a guy I would always be looking to upgrade from. So the fact that he got 5 years is impressive. Now my guess is the wording in the contract makes it more a 2 year type deal than a 5 year deal but haven't looked at the details yet.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the WR's in this year's FA class are going to find it a bit harder to get the contract they want after what was just shown in the combine. Teams are figuring out very quickly this might be the deepest WR class of the last 10-20 years so it is not worth signing a guy when you could replace him with say a 3rd round pick that can possibly be a better starter than the player you already have.

Honestly this was a pretty darn good deal for Cooper considering all the bad press around him and really in my opinion isn't that great of a receiver. He is at least replaceable. Nice to have on the team but a guy I would always be looking to upgrade from. So the fact that he got 5 years is impressive. Now my guess is the wording in the contract makes it more a 2 year type deal than a 5 year deal but haven't looked at the details yet.

i agree with every single thing here. I guess when you perform on the field people will forget pretty quick what you did i honestly thought he was on his way to being released at the end of the season and getting a short career in the NFL. As for the combine comment Ive been telling people that nobody is safe you can go after those huge contracts but the moment you dont live up to it you will be the first person cut at the end of the season just ask rice, bryant, miller, and clemons rookies these days are coming into the NFL in crazy shape ready to compete, there younger stronger and hungrier so if tate wants a long career in the nfl he would go easy how much money he asks..

same could go for eric decker the moment peyton came to denver his career shot straight to the top if he goes for a large contract and ends up in a sorry team he might get cut by year 3

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Cooper than Tate to tell you the truth. He's not better after the catch but he does a much better job of getting open.

IDK about that. Philly threw the ball almost 100 times more than Seattle and Tate caught 17 more balls with a catch rate 10% better than Riley.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cant just measure what Tate brings just by his offensive production. We were 31st in attempts throwing the ball last year so I think Tate had decent numbers considering that. Add in the fact that he is one of the best punt returners in football, is an excellent run blocker down field and also had the trust of his QB. I think 5/30 is a decent amount for him. Plus what guarantee will we have that Harvin has a healthy year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to Tate my stance is that if we can afford to sign him after extending guys like Thomas and Sherman and Bennett ( Yes I think he's more important) then do it, but don't over pay.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading that Cooper's deal is really only 5 years $22 mil. The $25 mil figure is with incentives earned.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK about that. Philly threw the ball almost 100 times more than Seattle and Tate caught 17 more balls with a catch rate 10% better than Riley.

I watched a few Eagles games this hear and Cooper is stout. The guy runs strong routes and knows how to find the open space. Can you say the same about Tate? Tate makes outstanding plays, but I don't want to rely on a guy who has to be outstanding after the catch to cover up his deficiencies before the catch. He doesn't run good routes and he's incapable of getting separation. Throwing money at him would be stupid.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good comments but i think Tate will want a little more due to he can return well and his toughness after the catch is very good,i can only see his numbers improving with Harvin out there so i would like him to be resigned within reason.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdhyQq4Ye_o]Golden Tate - 2013 Season Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

That to me is worth 25 for 5 in my eyes. Some of you are like the people that want their cake and eat it if you get my meaning. Keep telling yourself he isn't worth 5 million but this is 2014 not 2005 and there is a big difference. Tate won games for us last year ( and the year before ), you can not put a price tag on that. There is no doubt a team will offer him 5+ mill if we don't and he will be gone.

P.S. Stop saying he doesn't get separation when he get's it all the time it's just a few under throws on the long balls that makes him adjust so people assume he doesn't get separation. I have the advantage of seeing the coaches tape that you all could get if you wanted to spend a little extra $$. It only cost me an extra $10 for the year. The boy is beast mode as a WR also. He is very strong and a very powerful runner for his size and most importantly, He has missed 1 game in the past 3 years. ONE, that's something we need on this team.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screamin EXACTLY the guy is tough for his size he breaks stuff like Ward but has more speed imo,how many times have us Hawk fans over the last 20 years EVEN sat there and watched WR's that could not hold the ball after the catch being afraid to get hit? i can tell you that easily but there is so many i have lost count,,,Tate is far more than some believe.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a few Eagles games this hear and Cooper is stout. The guy runs strong routes and knows how to find the open space. Can you say the same about Tate? Tate makes outstanding plays, but I don't want to rely on a guy who has to be outstanding after the catch to cover up his deficiencies before the catch. He doesn't run good routes and he's incapable of getting separation. Throwing money at him would be stupid.

Riley caught 55% of his targets, Tate caught 65% of his targets. Maybe he is a better route runner, but that doesn't make him more productive.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley caught 55% of his targets, Tate caught 65% of his targets. Maybe he is a better route runner, but that doesn't make him more productive.

Tate had a good number of designed screens thrown to him, which could account for their difference.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after that statement he made about black people I think like 90% of the seahawks would disagree

He didn't make a statement about black people, he used a racial epithet towards a group of blacks.

I would take Cooper on my team. I think he is a good #2 receiver and could help any team.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't make a statement about black people, he used a racial epithet towards a group of blacks.

I would take Cooper on my team. I think he is a good #2 receiver and could help any team.

I'd take Cooper as well, specially over Tate.

I never thought Tate lived up to the hype at Notre Dame, he's just a showman. He was our 3rd option for 2 or so years.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Cooper as well, specially over Tate.

I never thought Tate lived up to the hype at Notre Dame, he's just a showman. He was our 3rd option for 2 or so years.

I'm not going to say much about Tate on the Seahawks board. I'll just say I'm not a fan.