• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Richard Sherman

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I've been thinking ( I do that now and then) at what $ amount do we let him walk? You know he's going to want a tidy sum.

What's the $ amount that you say, take a hike?

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I've been thinking ( I do that now and then) at what $ amount do we let him walk? You know he's going to want a tidy sum.

What's the $ amount that you say, take a hike?

I hate to say it, but 10MM is probably the cap in my mind. I think he walks if that's our best offer. I'd rather pay Thomas.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bump in the cap makes this harder. For me Revis money is the limit.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it, but 10MM is probably the cap in my mind. I think he walks if that's our best offer. I'd rather pay Thomas.

I was thinking 12 for Sherman. As far as Thomas goes sign him first, I think it shouldn't be that hard. I might go as high as Revis, if it isn't guaranteed.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking 12 for Sherman. As far as Thomas goes sign him first, I think it shouldn't be that hard. I might go as high as Revis, if it isn't guaranteed.

It's so much money though. And our secondary is pretty deep. I'm not sure what we should do there. I'd love to keep him, but of course we have tough decisions to make.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably 12 million a year. The problem is that Revis contract though. I have a feeling that some team is going to be willing to come close to that and if that's the case then we should let him walk. He's awesome but having the best FS and SS in the league helping him out certainly helps a lot.

I like him but the self promoting is starting to get old. ET's more important than he is in the grand scheme of things so if it's between Sherman or Thomas I think it's a no-brainer who you go with.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say if his demands are to high, let him play out his contract , then franchise him. That would be less then Revis money.

The problem with that however is that it's bumps right into extending RW.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why they should work it out this year. Might be a lot cheaper given he might be interested in starting to get paid that now instead of waiting more than another year to get his big payday.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why they should work it out this year. Might be a lot cheaper given he might be interested in starting to get paid that now instead of waiting more than another year to get his big payday.

I'm hoping your right.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt it. He's the best corner in the league and he knows it. I don't mind him wanting to get paid for his talents but I don't think that we're going to get a deal because he underestimated his value. I just don't think there's any scenario where the best FS, SS, and CB in the league can fit under the salary cap on the same team.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be in the minority, but I believe Richard Sherman is the best player on the team. He is the best CB in the NFL and one of the best defensive players in the league.

I have a feeling Revis might have a different contract by the time Sherman's contract rolls around. Plus, even though Sherman's ego is bigger than CenturyLink Field, I don't think he is stupid enough to want a contract like Revis considering that Revis had $0 in guaranteed money.

Some of the biggest contracts given to CBs:
1. Darrelle Revis: 6 years $96m $16m per year $0 guaranteed
2. Champ Bailey: 4 years $42.5m $10.6m per year $14.5m guaranteed
3. Brandon Carr: 5 years $50.1m $10m per year $25m guaranteed
4. Cortland Finnegan: 5 years $50m $10m per year $24m guaranteed
5. Brandon Flowers: 5 years $48.75m $9.75m per year $11m guaranteed
6. Johnathan Joseph: 5 years $48.75m $9.75m per year $23.5m guaranteed
7. Lardarius Webb: 6 years $50m $8.33m per year $24m guaranteed

Honorable mention: Nnamdi Asomugha: 5 year $60m $25m guaranteed.

I have to imagine that Sherman's contract will fall somewhere between Asomugha and Revis, who were both regarded as the best NFL CB at the time of their contract.

I say keep Sherman at all costs, but if he wants a Revis contract + guaranteed money that is when I say he has to walk. I'd rather give a player guaranteed money than have him take up $16m per year in cap space.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be in the minority, but I believe Richard Sherman is the best player on the team. He is the best CB in the NFL and one of the best defensive players in the league.

I have a feeling Revis might have a different contract by the time Sherman's contract rolls around. Plus, even though Sherman's ego is bigger than CenturyLink Field, I don't think he is stupid enough to want a contract like Revis considering that Revis had $0 in guaranteed money.

I have to imagine that Sherman's contract will fall somewhere between Asomugha and Revis, who were both regarded as the best NFL CB at the time of their contract.

I say keep Sherman at all costs, but if he wants a Revis contract + guaranteed money that is when I say he has to walk. I'd rather give a player guaranteed money than have him take up $16m per year in cap space.

But you wouldn't be keeping him at all costs if there was a price point at which you'd let him walk rather than pay it.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, let's imagine this scenerio.
I'm not sure when, but at some point JS can feel out Sherms agent regarding what kind of $ they are thinking for their client. In other words, enter into contract talks before Sherms contract expires (like what happened with Kam).
For debate, let's assume Sherm wants $72 BuhZillion to remain here as he is the best CB in the league. Without pulling out his calculator, JS comes to the realization we in no way can afford Sherm.
The question then becomes do we ride Sherm as much as we can this year only to see him leave without compensation, or do we trade him before week 7 starts next year?
Additionally, what would we get in return? Granted, a sign and trade deal is the only way we could get a maximum return for him.
I ask that posters not slam my post thinking that I want to trade all of our great players. This debate assumes we wont be able to sign him, so what would YOU do if you were GM?
If we only got picks, what would we get?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I question the logic of this notion going around that they are going to work on Thomas this year and wait for Sherman next year. If it was up to me it would be the other way around. Get Sherman to work on a deal this year and if you can't get Thomas done franchise him as that tag for a safety is a much lower hit than a corner. Earl is the guy you can't lose off your team, but his deal is likely less complicated.

Get Sherman locked up this summer.

What price point would I let him go? I don't embark on those exercises. If he wants to play hard ball like Kaepernick is doing to SF then by all means we might lose him and we will move on. I trust JS and PC far more than the so-called experts who tell us what is likely going on. Those experts are frequently wrong when it comes to what is actually going on in the Seahawk front office.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhsplit, I'd rather keep Sherm all year assuming we field a team worthy of another Superbowl run (which it looks like we will). Sure, we wouldn't gain anything if he leaves in free agency. Instead we'd have his pro-bowl/shut-down-right-side-of-the-field production for our championship run.

Now, if we start 1-6 next year and he still wants to play hardball with his contract, then we can talk trades.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhsplit, I'd rather keep Sherm all year assuming we field a team worthy of another Superbowl run (which it looks like we will). Sure, we wouldn't gain anything if he leaves in free agency. Instead we'd have his pro-bowl/shut-down-right-side-of-the-field production for our championship run.

Now, if we start 1-6 next year and he still wants to play hardball with his contract, then we can talk trades.

Good answer Bo.
If having RS on the team is the diff between winning the next SB, I would keep him. Yet I would truly hate to lose his talent for nothing.
Keeping in mind in this scenario, Sherm will not be resigned.
Just thinking out loud, assuming Pete was happy with Max, Lane, WT3 (have to resign but he wont break the bank due to history) and Simon (who some football guru said we were high on this guy), maybe even add BB, would that be a decent enough DB's to be a championship team?
Sherm would bring at the least a mid 1st round pick of next years draft. We could use that pick where it is or trade back to say the middle of round 2 and get 2015 2,3,4th and 2016 3rd rounder as equal trade for the 1st round pick traded away.
If our FO could find 1 gem in those 4 picks, it would save roughly $10 million quickly. Those savings would be able to help sign Kearse, Wags, Malcolm, Maxwell, Wright, et al.
Please note, I am not down on Sherm. I love the guy and want him to remain on the team. I am merely studying alternatives if we can't sign Sherm.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I question the logic of this notion going around that they are going to work on Thomas this year and wait for Sherman next year. If it was up to me it would be the other way around. Get Sherman to work on a deal this year and if you can't get Thomas done franchise him as that tag for a safety is a much lower hit than a corner. Earl is the guy you can't lose off your team, but his deal is likely less complicated.

Get Sherman locked up this summer.

What price point would I let him go? I don't embark on those exercises. If he wants to play hard ball like Kaepernick is doing to SF then by all means we might lose him and we will move on. I trust JS and PC far more than the so-called experts who tell us what is likely going on. Those experts are frequently wrong when it comes to what is actually going on in the Seahawk front office.

You make a good point about using the franchised tag on a safety rather then a corner. I didn't really think of that angel. I think that signing Thomas is going to easier, because I fell both sides will come close to the same $ figure when talking. Sherman however.....I think there may be a big gap when talking $, I hope I'm wrong and I hope both these guys get extended quickly.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good stuff posting the top contract numbers. I see Sherman's contracts being somewhere in the Revis and Nnamdi range too. I would lean more towards Nnamdi's contract except maybe more years (7 years 84 mil) but with more guaranteed money (45 mil guaranteed)

I think the sexy thing is to always get "more per year" so you can compare with your peers and measure whose dick is bigger...but at the end of the day what's more important...an extra 1-2 mil per year or more guaranteed contract over the span of your entire contract?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price tags are going up. GB resigned Sam Shields for $39 million 4 years, he's going to get $21 million in the first two years. Sherman must be smiling after hearing about this resigning.