• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rex Ryan Multi-year extension?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would agree 8-8 with a rookie QB is not bad... But to claim that Rex deserves his job because the Jets had a good season, or at least a better season than expected, is not looking at the full picture...

Unfortunately though i do agree that rex did not have a bad enough season to justify him losing his job... Was hoping the Jets would have found ways to lose those games so rex could get fired... I am just not a fan, and it has nothing to do with his big mouth...

Okay...noooow we're getting to the root of it...lol.

All about expectations I guess...ATL & HOU even @ 8-8 would've been deemed a bad season coming off their '12 seasons...I'm not thrilled with PIT going 8-8 but with the 0-4 start and all the injuries it actually was Tomlin's best job of coach imo.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is everyone bringing up being 8-8 being a good thing... Look who the Jets beat!!!

Oak,cleveland,TB,atl were all terrible teams

they went 3-3 in their division, which is not the strongest... and division games have always been different than regular games...

They only had 2 big wins, one was vs the saints who are a bad away team and the other was vs the Patriots, and that was when the patriots were struggling...

I am not convinced that a "lesser" coach could have done any worse!!!

They also embarassed themselves in 6 of their 8 losses...

Hate when people bring up this argument because it never makes any sense. If they had won vs more teams they would have been in the playoffs, of course.... Kind of pointless to bring up this....

You look at the Jets team in pure talent, tell me which of those teams are less talented than the Jets? We had one of the worst statistical QBs, little skill talent, and had a BUNCH of new starters on defense and new coaches all over the place. SO not only did Rex have to coach these young players and try to gel together a unit that doesn't have much experience together, but he had to coach up coaches as well.

What Rex did this season was impressive. Get some more talent and this team will contend for the playoffs next season. Unlike last year we don't have many FA leaving and our offense won't be laerning a new scheme and at the very least if Geno is starting he'll have more experience and should be better.

His contract extension is a "show me" one, he gets 2 years guaranteed but the rest is based on results. If not the Jets can fire him without owing him any money.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay...noooow we're getting to the root of it...lol.

All about expectations I guess...ATL & HOU even @ 8-8 would've been deemed a bad season coming off their '12 seasons...I'm not thrilled with PIT going 8-8 but with the 0-4 start and all the injuries it actually was Tomlin's best job of coach imo.

There are some Jets fans out there that absolutely hate Rex and think hes the worst coach in football, they are the ones that turn on a coach or player after one bad play or so. The pessimistic fans.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rex is a GREAT DC. He is a mediocre HC at best. Too much bluster & not enough substance.

And the "extension" really isn't an extension. It's a year by year lease after 2015 with an option to buy for the Jets. He technically only got a 1 year extension.

Though technically a multi-year extension, in reality Ryan’s contract fully guarantees his salary only through 2015, according to a source. His old deal ran through the 2014 season.

The extension gives owner Woody Johnson and general manager John Idzik an opening to can Ryan, as the coach’s salary beyond 2015 is not fully guaranteed — if at all. The deal includes playoff incentives, according to a source.

Source

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate when people bring up this argument because it never makes any sense. If they had won vs more teams they would have been in the playoffs, of course.... Kind of pointless to bring up this....

You look at the Jets team in pure talent, tell me which of those teams are less talented than the Jets? We had one of the worst statistical QBs, little skill talent, and had a BUNCH of new starters on defense and new coaches all over the place. SO not only did Rex have to coach these young players and try to gel together a unit that doesn't have much experience together, but he had to coach up coaches as well.

What Rex did this season was impressive. Get some more talent and this team will contend for the playoffs next season. Unlike last year we don't have many FA leaving and our offense won't be laerning a new scheme and at the very least if Geno is starting he'll have more experience and should be better.

His contract extension is a "show me" one, he gets 2 years guaranteed but the rest is based on results. If not the Jets can fire him without owing him any money.

Yes, they were 8-8... like i said the record was too good for him to get fired... But how good did he really coach??
Basically the only reason you say he had a good season is because they were 8-8 with that talent... But here is the problem, they were not prepared at all to play 6 games... And that includes their defense(the teams stength)... sometimes you have to look past record!!!
I know you want to give rex a total pass for the talent on the team, I dont give him a total pass...I can not believe that a coach can have 0 say to whom will be on his team...

Oh, and whatever circus has gone on with the Jets this season, Oakland and cleveland were much worse... Anyone could have beaten those teams at that point of the season, no matter who was coaching...

You can make the argument that all 8 wins from the Jets were against bad teams playing bad(even the patriots and saints)...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some Jets fans out there that absolutely hate Rex and think hes the worst coach in football, they are the ones that turn on a coach or player after one bad play or so. The pessimistic fans.

Oh, but that IS New York. You don't take a coaching job in New York unless you LIKE getting fired.

Rex is still learning. He has shown greatness and he has also weighed in on the stupid side. He has what it takes to become a great coach and the Jets might be on the receiving end of some great years. I really don't hope for that for him though. I still hate "The Evil Empire" (even if they are the new jersey jets)