• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Revis "nearly retired" after ACL tear in 2012, still miffed at Patriots

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revis Still Unhappy Patriots Turned Mother Away At Super Bowl Ring Ceremony CBS Boston

Revis Still Unhappy With Patriots Over Super Bowl Ring
July 22, 2015 11:45 AM
Share on emailView Comments
revis-jets.jpg

(Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

BOSTON (CBS) — Darrelle Revis’ one season with the New England Patriots, which ended with the All Pro corner winning his first Super Bowl ring, almost didn’t happen.

A 27-year-old Revis nearly retired from football after tearing his ACL in 2012, an injury that required microfracture surgery and resulted in his trade from the New York Jets to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. What followed was a less-than-stellar season in 2013, and Revis eventually became a free agent.

“I did think about retiring,” the corner told SportsIllustrated. “I had never been seriously injured before, and I didn’t know how to handle it.”

Revis said he didn’t feel 100 percent healthy again until the quarter mark of last season, which is when he really found his groove in the New England secondary. He finished his lone season in New England with a pair of interceptions, another All-Pro nod and a Super Bowl title that had escaped him throughout his career.

Revis is once again a member of the Jets, signing with his former team in the offseason, and it sounds like the Pats-Jets rivalry is alive and well off the field. Revis wasn’t able to collect his Super Bowl ring at a party hosted by Patriots owner Robert Kraft in June, having already promised his kids a trip to Disney World when the bash was being held. So instead he sent his mother.

But Revis said when his mom arrived at Kraft’s doorstep, she was told she couldn’t attend because Revis wasn’t with her. He wasn’t very pleased to hear his mother was turned away.

“If that’s how they want to do things, that’s fine,” Revis said. “I’m not going to waste my time on it.”

Revis still sounds pretty upset that his mother wasn’t allowed to pick up his Super Bowl bling. He’ll have at least two shots at showing that displeasure on the field, with the Jets visiting New England on October 25 and the Patriots traveling to New Jersey on December 27.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"why wouldnt they let my mom into the party?"

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Giselle would have been turned away or TB's mother?

That is Dooshy.
revis wasnt there

he sent his mother

lol

ma-the-meatloaf-fuck.jpg

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I get it...but Kraft turned his star CB's mother away?? fkn doosh
yeah. he did. what does she have to do with the team?

"joe flacco sent his cousin to the ceremony"

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"bobby sent me for his ring"

mqdefault.jpg

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a pretty low move in my opinion. Revis already had a vacation booked with his family before the party was set from what I understand. He sends his mother to pick up his ring...Is it really that big of a deal to let her into the party fully of hundreds of people so that she can get his ring and move on?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a pretty low move in my opinion. Revis already had a vacation booked with his family before the party was set from what I understand. He sends his mother to pick up his ring...Is it really that big of a deal to let her into the party fully of hundreds of people so that she can get his ring and move on?
so? get the ring later, happens alllll the time in sports when players move on.

send your fucking mom without seeing if its acceptable first?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so? get the ring later, happens alllll the time in sports when players move on.

send your fucking mom without seeing if its acceptable first?

Well considering there were plenty of people there that were not players I don't see why this is an issue. I mean this is his mom not like he sent some guy off the streets.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well considering there were plenty of people there that were not players I don't see why this is an issue. I mean this is his mom not like he sent some guy off the streets.
yes, but were those people unaccompanied or with a player?

revis should have just asked if it was ok.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah. he did. what does she have to do with the team?

"joe flacco sent his cousin to the ceremony"
Tom Brady's mother...sent to pick up his ring... Kraft says?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady's mother...sent to pick up his ring... Kraft says?
hypotheticals dont apply to real life.

revis sent his mother unannounced to a team function.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a dick move by Kraft or whoever actually turned her away.

Did I miss the part where Revis was still unhappy about it though? I mean I would be pretty pissed, but it seemed like a weird headline based on the article. Maybe a better headline would be "Kraft still an asshole"??

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a dick move by Kraft or whoever actually turned her away.

Did I miss the part where Revis was still unhappy about it though? I mean I would be pretty pissed, but it seemed like a weird headline based on the article. Maybe a better headline would be "Kraft still an asshole"??
"former player sends mother to team ring party" would have been better

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"former player sends mother to team ring party" would have been better

I think that would be a great headline if the assholes let her in. There would be pictures everywhere of her accepting the ring and hugging Kraft, etc. Why the heck would you not let her in? That's just a mega dick move. I know you defend absolutely anything the Pats do to the death, but at least admit this one...Geez...you look as douchey as them for not letting her in...

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that would be a great headline if the assholes let her in. There would be pictures everywhere of her accepting the ring and hugging Kraft, etc. Why the heck would you not let her in? That's just a mega dick move. I know you defend absolutely anything the Pats do to the death, but at least admit this one...Geez...you look as douchey as them for not letting her in...
no, i defend common sense...which many seem to lack here. if you trashed talked the team after going to a rival, and youre sending your mother (which is hilarious in and of itself) on your behalf to a players ring party...i would...hmm...check first?