• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Review of My D2 Squad (Thinking Out Loud)

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished 8-5 (.615), 2nd in division.
Statistically finished 3rd in offense.
Entered playoffs as wild card. Lost in 2nd round.

QB (sorted by points)
Cousins, Kirk QB - WAS 339.08
Rivers, Philip QB - SD 317.44
Cutler, Jay QB - CHI 46.76

January note > Not sure why I picked up Cutler late? Guess I was hoping that he'd land on a QB-needy team in 2017 which may increase his value. The reality may be that unless there is a rookie QB in my future, he may be the odd QB out.

RB
Gordon, Melvin RB - SD 250.6
Hyde, Carlos RB - SF 188.1
Yeldon, T.J. RB - JAX 135.7
Michael, Christine RB - GB 135
Washington, DeAndre RB - OAK 85.2

January note > Still holding out hope that Yeldon does something. The wild card here may be Christine Michael. Will he remain with the Packers? Or does another team take a shot at him?

TE
Olsen, Greg TE - CAR 207.3
Kendricks, Lance TE - LARM 109.9

January note > Kendricks looks to be history. But seeing how new Rams HC McVay used TE in Washington, he may be a low risk.

WR
Thielen, Adam WR - MIN 193.2
Snead, Willie WR - NO 189.5
Green, A.J. WR - CIN 186.4
Stills, Kenny WR - MIA 168.6
Nelson, J.J. WR - ARI 139.1
Aiken, Kamar WR - BAL 67.8
Brown, Jaron WR - ARI 35.7
Wilson, Marquess WR - CHI 31
Allen, Keenan WR - SD 12.3

January note > The fact that Adam Thielen tops the list speaks volumes. Brown, Aiken and Wilson look to be the first to go.

K & D/ST
Hauschka, Steven K - SEA 132.7
NE Patriots 214
CHI Bears 179

January note > Don't see any changes here.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Note to board: Feel free to comment.
But don't offer me any trades. Not in a trading mood.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 629.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are a bit hard on yourself at WR. Green and Allen were injured, or they would have easily been #1 and #2 for you. Nelson looks like he is primed for a breakout year and Snead is not a bad guy to have around. Neither is Kenny Stills, really.

I think you are pretty solid overall. Gordon and Hyde (assuming he stays healthy) should be a nice 1-2 punch at RB. If Yeldon ends up producing, that would just be gravy. I like your WRs, assuming they stay healthy. Cousins and Rivers look like every year producers for a couple more years. Health is the main concern here, but in a 16 team dynasty league, you seem to have very few holes outside of overall depth, which is to be expected considering the 16 teams and caliber of owners that we have.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with femur you got a balanced team, if your injured players come back full strength. Your WR corp could end up being the strength of your team.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Note to board: Feel free to comment.
But don't offer me any trades. Not in a trading mood.

I'd have to say in a 16 team league that's a very good squad. Sure there are guys, as you point out, that are replaceable - but I think you did a hell of a job building a good foundation. Likely targets should be TE, QB, and, as always, RB (although not an immediate need - some added depth would be wise).

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like your team. Think youve got 2 great WRs and 2 solid young backs. Plus Snead is young and solid. Neslon and Thielen isnt bad in a 16 team dynasty as WR4 and WR5. And Greg Olsen is great. QB is probably the weakest spot but Kirk should keep producing at least as long as hes in his current situation and I dont think you need an upgrade there. Agree with Chef though - would love to see you trading :nod:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with Chef though - would love to see you trading :nod:

I love to work some trade with Joe, but think he's wise to sit tight for now.

Keenan Allen, A. J. Green and Melvin Gordon all had serious inuries, so now is not the time to trade them as others will insist on a discount for the risk. Olsen getting up in age, so again trade partners will want a discount. Better to let them get back on the field and perform ( I'm confident they will) and sell high.:nod:

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love to work some trade with Joe, but think he's wise to sit tight for now.

Keenan Allen, A. J. Green and Melvin Gordon all had serious inuries, so now is not the time to trade them as others will insist on a discount for the risk. Olsen getting up in age, so again trade partners will want a discount. Better to let them get back on the field and perform ( I'm confident they will) and sell high.:nod:

Shhhhh Im trying to get Keenan!

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd be pretty fn happy with team, two young stud rb

some great wr, just injury bug but this year

i'd be looking for a TE but not hard to replace olsen eventually n depends if u believe in cousins

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, thanks for the supportive words, guys. But I wasn't really looking for validation on my squad... But I was mainly wondering out loud about the fringe players.

• Is Christine Michael worth hanging on to if he has a role in Green Bay?
  • Does Kamar Aiken see an expanded role now that Steve Smith Sr. is retired?
  • J.J. Nelson seems to be the WR with upside in Zona, but that's what they were saying about Jaron Brown before Brown got hurt. Who's the odd man out?
  • Now that McVay is the head coach in L.A., does he intend to use Lance Kendricks like he did Reed/Davis as the OC in Washington?
These are the burning questions I will ultimately need to decide upon.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, thanks for the supportive words, guys. But I wasn't really looking for validation on my squad... But I was mainly wondering out loud about the fringe players.

• Is Christine Michael worth hanging on to if he has a role in Green Bay? (BIAS ALERT - I've had my fill of him and would not trust the GB situation - I think Ty is more talented and offers more)
  • Does Kamar Aiken see an expanded role now that Steve Smith Sr. is retired? (I'd look for Perriman and Wallace to take on bigger roles, although Wallace is getting long in the tooth for a speed guy. Aiken just seems to be the odd guy out until someone gets hurt)
  • J.J. Nelson seems to be the WR with upside in Zona, but that's what they were saying about Jaron Brown before Brown got hurt. Who's the odd man out? (Believe JJ is legit. Problem in Zona is Palmer's age. Not sure if he is in the 'plan' for next yr or not. New QB's always seem to find a favorite - could be Nelson, could be someone else.)
  • Now that McVay is the head coach in L.A., does he intend to use Lance Kendricks like he did Reed/Davis as the OC in Washington? (Kendrick is probably as good as any other low totem poll TE. Coach tendencies generally hold from team to team, so increased usage is very likely)

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

• J.J. Nelson seems to be the WR with upside in Zona, but that's what they were saying about Jaron Brown before Brown got hurt. Who's the odd man out?
  • Now that McVay is the head coach in L.A., does he intend to use Lance Kendricks like he did Reed/Davis as the OC in Washington?

Im not a big fan of Michael - I just dont think hes a very good football player. Not that hes not worth keeping around but I doubt anything ever comes of him.

Aiken has proven he can be a decent receiver I think but he wont wow you. Could definitely have a decent role and be startable in a pinch next year.

Nelson I think is the best upside play here. I prefer John Brown to him but I prefer Nelson to Jaron Brown.

Kendricks is realistically a 28 year old TE who has had 500 yards once in his career. He may see an uptick in value with McVay in town but Im not sure its enough to make him unreplaceable.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kendricks is realistically a 28 year old TE who has had 500 yards once in his career. He may see an uptick in value with McVay in town but Im not sure its enough to make him unreplaceable.
Thanks.
But ya know, it's funny you mention his age.
Kelce came alive at age 26.
After waiting for years, Rudolph finally hit at age 27.
Walker hit at age 31.
Barnidge came around at age 30.
Zach Miller (before he got hurt) looked good at age 30.

Maybe it's not scientific, but it seems like a decent TE will hit their stride about Kendricks' age. (Now.)

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.
But ya know, it's funny you mention his age.
Kelce came alive at age 26.
After waiting for years, Rudolph finally hit at age 27.
Walker hit at age 31.
Barnidge came around at age 30.
Zach Miller (before he got hurt) looked good at age 30.

Maybe it's not scientific, but it seems like a decent TE will hit their stride about Kendricks' age. (Now.)

Good points. I certainly dont think hes a bad flyer. I just dont think he has much upside.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See the Packers drafting a RB, so not to high on CM chances.
Aiken, hard to say, seemed like the odd man out this year so I lean towards no.
J.J. Nelson ? Seems to have talent, but the QB situation doesn't look promising, so IDK.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 629.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It all comes down to one simple question that answers all of these questions...

Who do you have to replace each of them?

And the answer to that won't come until after our rookie draft, probably. So, you are stuck waiting and wondering until then, unless you plan on making a trade or two, which you said you were not interested in doing at this time. So, for now, you are stuck in a holding pattern with your thoughts. I have been there many times and it sucks, but there's not much you can do about it. Maybe smoke a bowl? Helps me sometimes.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all comes down to one simple question that answers all of these questions...

Who do you have to replace each of them?

And the answer to that won't come until after our rookie draft, probably. So, you are stuck waiting and wondering until then, unless you plan on making a trade or two, which you said you were not interested in doing at this time. So, for now, you are stuck in a holding pattern with your thoughts. I have been there many times and it sucks, but there's not much you can do about it. Maybe smoke a bowl? Helps me sometimes.

Your correct, just depends on if he can do better. 16 team league, anybody that might get snaps has value.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i missed that this is a 16 team league, i think aiken u can toast, he proved he can play, but for whatever reason baltimore thinks others are better, and they prvoed they arent, this year...........

kendricks u may as well hold and i think odd out is jaron brown

always good to have RB, but if michael had any value he wouldnt of been cut AGAIN, and Gb wouldnt of traded for kniles davis, or had a wr playing RB, just my opinion