• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Belichick, Patriots Doctor Colluded to End Player's Career to Avoid Payment

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas_Gill_Patriots_Doctor_NFLPA_Grievance.jpg

Former Pats doctor Thomas Gill watches players run. (USATSI)

The NFLPA says the Patriots and their team doctor conspired to screw a player out of his signing bonus...

The NFLPA filed a grievance in court claiming a former Patriots doctor altered a medical report in order to improve a legal case to force former player Jonathan Fanene to return his signing bonus, the Washington Post reported Friday.

As part of the filing, the NFLPA alleges former New England doctor Thomas Gill sent an email to Jonathan Kraft and Robert Kraft stating he was “trying to put together a case" that would force Fanene, a former Pats defensive end, to return $3.85 million to the team.

Additionally, the union alleges in the grievance letter that Pats coach Bill Belichick told Gill to delay surgery for Fanene while he was being persuaded to retire.

Put more simply: the union is alleging a team doctor put the interest of the team ahead of an individual player, which is in stark contrast to the doctor's obligation under the CBA.

Gill told the Post the grievance was a "legal maneuver" and the Patriots declined to comment, as did Belichick after the report ran Friday.

"Yeah, that case has been over for a long time," Belichick said Friday.

The NFL's been under fire for a number of issues in 2014, including a lawsuit from players claiming team doctors illegally administered prescription drugs.

Fanene was released in 2012 for "failure to disclose physical condition." His attorney, Angelo Wright, told the Post emails used in the grievance were obtained from a labor dispute between Fanene and the Pats via subpoena.

Also per Wright the former Patriots player accepted a settlement from the team that prohibits him from pursuing civil litigation or discussing the matter publicly.

Gill stepped down as Pats team physician in 2014 but claimed the phrase "put together a case" was taken out of context.

“If it was an e-mail to Mr. Kraft, it was basically saying, ‘I'm going to put together the chronology the training staff had asked me to put together,' ” Gill told the Post.

The physician also confirmed he received an email from Belichick.

“Coach Belichick sent an e-mail that said something about ‘let's play some four corners here,' which I think had to do with the timing,” Gill said. “It's vague to me at this point."

“He was saying let's slow this process down till we can figure out what's going on with Jonathan. Coach was talking about a day or two of trying to figure things out."

NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith couldn't comment on the grievance specifically but did say the "allegations suggest behavior that is completely inappropriate."

“It makes serious allegations about the integrity and independence of a team doctor providing medical care to a player,” Smith said. “The allegations would suggest behavior that is completely inappropriate. I will look forward to seeing what the league intends to do as far as investigating this pursuant to their personal conduct policy."

NFLPA grievance alleges Patriots doctor put team ahead of player - CBSSports.com

Wonders never cease at the shitty, underhanded maneuvering in Foxboro. But don't worry, Kraft's lawyers will drop a brown paper bag of cash off at NFL HQ or threaten a lawsuit and this will all go away.

Always does.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an explosive allegation and potentially bigger than the cheating scandal(s).

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
th

Reminded me of the show "The League"

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before haughty Pats fans dismisses this as "complete fabrication."

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this strike the second or third strike since spy gate? Possible suspension?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If true this could lead to Bellichek leaving the Patriots, this sounds serious.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this strike the second or third strike since spy gate? Possible suspension?

Belichick was very dismissive of ruining this guy's career. "That's all in the past." So they probably already intimidated the NFL into looking the other way (again). If refs are instructed not to call offensive holding against the Pats, the NFL is sure as hell scared of crossing Robert Kraft and his billions of dollars.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If true this could lead to Bellichek leaving the Patriots, this sounds serious.

Players are all over twitter on this one and fans are pissed.

This isn't what Goodell needs right now and that might put him in a situation where it's him or Belichick.

Last edited by a moderator:

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick has been a piece of shit for a long time. Nothing new.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point do we put our foot down and stop allowing the Patriots to pull this shit?

"This player should have been willing to sacrifice his career for the team!" - Pats fans (with a straight face)

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did this entirely on his own. Management had no indication this was happening. Belichick and Kraft are innocent.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's funny when people form such strong opinions about things they don't know much about.

first of all, at least in this state, as a team doctor of any pro team, my obligation is TO THE TEAM. It's why whenever there's injuries or other things and the media asks me about it, unless i'm directed to not say anything by the team, I can say what I want. There is no HIPPA involved. Drives me nuts every time someone brings up hippa in response to an athlete and a team doctor. The team and the doctor can disclose or withhold anything they wish. And the doctor is obligated to a standard of care when administering anything, but I think they NFLPA is climbing a gigantic uphill battle trying to prove the doctor was negligent

I would love to read the language in the CBA where a team hired physician has an obligation to the player and not the team. I'm guessing some fuzzy definitions are being used to try and sway to one side or the other.

Now if the athlete goes to his own doctor, a whole different set of rules apply, and it's often why a player will seek out other opinions on his own and not rely solely on a team doctor.

Sgthall999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take this about as seriously as the "4 years a slave" comment. Let the hate continue! It won't cause them to lose football games.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is true, it's really, really bad.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take this about as seriously as the "4 years a slave" comment. Let the hate continue! It won't cause them to lose football games.

Right. This is all about "hate." Pure fabrication by "obsessed" and "butthurt" fans. Homer will be here to agree with you any second.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dam,.......I knew this wouldn't get by detective hammered.....our resident "spokes-man" .

StarsFan

noob extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point, the NFL is going to be forced to stand up to New England. They're out of control and it has to stop. What gets me is how cold BB was about mistreating this poor guy so bad just to save them a nickle.