• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Replacing Peyton

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When do you think it is time to start grooming a replacement for Peyton?
Do you take a QB now and let him learn?
Do you keep eyes open for a free agent and just wait?

It seems that free agents that come available in the next few years will not be suitable replacements
( Patriots may be in the same situation)

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It seems that free agents that come available in the next few years will not be suitable replacements

Or perhaps Denver already HAS his replacement:nod:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point. Probably not a good idea to look several years down the road with the aim of replacing perhaps the GOAT FA with another FA. Comforting to know that you are concerned, however.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might want to look a couple of drafts back in the 2nd round and see who the broncos drafted. Don't usually use 2nd round picks on guys that you plan to never see the field.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock Osweiler maybe? I know alot of people are high on Dysert, but we drafted Brock early with the intention of him being groomed by Peyton and being the man in a couple years. Things change of course, but that was our intention.

braves66boy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our plan is to let Zack Dysert and Brock Osweiler battle it out for the starting position when Peyton is gone. The preseason games this year will let us decide which one is our primary backup going into the season and who is backup number 2. I hope we do not waste a draft pick this year on QB.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our plan is to let Zack Dysert and Brock Osweiler battle it out for the starting position when Peyton is gone. The preseason games this year will let us decide which one is our primary backup going into the season and who is backup number 2. I hope we do not waste a draft pick this year on QB.

First off ( imo of course), I think Dysert will beat out Brock for #2 this year and secondly if Qb Brett Smith from Wyoming was available in 6-7 rd, I think he would be a GREAT pk. I think he has more potential than most of the "top" qbs in this draft to tell ya the truth. If not Denver, some team is going to get their future franchise Qb in this draft.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but there is nothing special about brett smith IMHO.

what makes you think dysert will beat out brock

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but there is nothing special about brett smith IMHO.

what makes you think dysert will beat out brock

To be honest I really hadn`t paid much attention to Smith untill I saw a write-up on him and he`s gotten more attention (Nfl Scouts) than has been publized. He has good size ( 6`3" 220 lbs I believe) and although he played in MWC, the talent and competiviness has improved alot. Think he had like 34 tds 11 int and also about 540 yds rushing and a couple tds. In article he was descirbed as a larger/more polished addition of Johnny football. I def think he would be worth a shot in 6th or 7th rd esp if Elway see`s something he likes. As far as Dysert,there`s been plenty of talk of how he`s fallen more in favor with Elway as far back as last pre-season and in camp. He likes his progression it seems and Brock although he hasn`t had many opportunities, he hasn`t really flashed anything that makes you take notice. I guess we`ll see who gets more reps and pre-season snaps this season. Of course IMHO also SP:suds:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like most of you think Denver's options are set. Not so sure about where NE is headed. Mallett may be the deal but we will lose him in a year if we don't commit to him. Not sure I see that happening yet.....

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of 2-3 throw last preseason, I thought Brock played very, very well, albeit against 2nd stringers or whatever. He made alot of great throws, and outside of looking a little jumpy in the pocket; I thought he looked pretty good overall. He can really move for being such a huge guy. I did see some good things from Dysert too.

It'll be interested how that battle unfolds going into camp.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the Broncos are pretty confident that Brock is the guy who can take over for Manning when Peyton retires.

Personally, I haven't seen anything from Osweiler (either in preseason or when he's taken over for Manning in game) that makes me think he's anything special.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the Broncos are pretty confident that Brock is the guy who can take over for Manning when Peyton retires.

Personally, I haven't seen anything from Osweiler (either in preseason or when he's taken over for Manning in game) that makes me think he's anything special.

I agree with you here, but we just haven't seen enough of him to have any sort of REAL idea.

With that in mind, it'll be weird to see how the whole successor things plays out. I mean, it's not like either of these two are going to be given any regular season time while Peyton is around, so when/how they'll make up their minds who is the man after Peyton will be interesting....

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, broncos coaching staff will have the best look at Osweiler and Dysert. Hopefully they can see who is progressing and who has plateaued. One thing about Osweiler is that he will be a FA before Manning; if we keep him that should tell us how the broncos feel.

As for life after Manning or Brady or whoever (that is good), I think it will be a shock. Bronco fans have dealt with this before and should know what to expect after Manning. We cannot all be the colts and packers, replacing one great QB with another. For some patriots fans, there could be a very rude awakening when Brady retires.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at least at this time Osweiler is the quarterback of the future. Reports are that at least 5 teams called this off season trying to trade for him and the Broncos turned them all down. Now obviously we have no idea what they offered but my guess is they didn't call if they didn't at least offer a 2nd round pick knowing the Broncos want at least even value in a trade from what they drafted him at.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, broncos coaching staff will have the best look at Osweiler and Dysert. Hopefully they can see who is progressing and who has plateaued. One thing about Osweiler is that he will be a FA before Manning; if we keep him that should tell us how the broncos feel.

As for life after Manning or Brady or whoever (that is good), I think it will be a shock. Bronco fans have dealt with this before and should know what to expect after Manning. We cannot all be the colts and packers, replacing one great QB with another. For some patriots fans, there could be a very rude awakening when Brady retires.

I have been listening to the "demise of the Patriots" for some time - don't hold you breath. I won't turn this into the Peyton vs. Brady post but are you saying the Pats will miss Brady more than Denver misses Manning?
A good team with an effective QB will still win games. I don't expect either team to turn into the Raiders.
The post is about how we will do it.....

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been listening to the "demise of the Patriots" for some time - don't hold you breath. I won't turn this into the Peyton vs. Brady post but are you saying the Pats will miss Brady more than Denver misses Manning?
A good team with an effective QB will still win games. I don't expect either team to turn into the Raiders.
The post is about how we will do it.....

That is not what I am saying. When Manning and Brady retire there is a going to be a steep drop off in QB production. Even if you replace either one with a talented young player there will be a learning curve and to replace them with a player that has potential to be as talented would be incredibly rare. Like I said, Colts and Packers managed to do it but it does not happen often. Broncos fans, I believe, are more prepared for the replacement in that we have just gone through 12+ years of average to garbage QBs. The Patriots have had Tom Brady for a long time. That combined with some fans, who believe the patriots are the New England Brady's, could make for a lot of unhappy fans.

I tend to agree with Charles Barkley on the matter. I think franchise QBs spoil fan bases and there will be a lot of sad people for both teams if the coaches cannot replace Manning and Brady with good QBs with great potential.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not what I am saying. When Manning and Brady retire there is a going to be a steep drop off in QB production. Even if you replace either one with a talented young player there will be a learning curve and to replace them with a player that has potential to be as talented would be incredibly rare. Like I said, Colts and Packers managed to do it but it does not happen often. Broncos fans, I believe, are more prepared for the replacement in that we have just gone through 12+ years of average to garbage QBs. The Patriots have had Tom Brady for a long time. That combined with some fans, who believe the patriots are the New England Brady's, could make for a lot of unhappy fans.

I tend to agree with Charles Barkley on the matter. I think franchise QBs spoil fan bases and there will be a lot of sad people for both teams if the coaches cannot replace Manning and Brady with good QBs with great potential.

It is true you get used to a certain standard for your team and unfortunately replacing HOF quarterbacks is no easy task. We were spoiled with having Super Bowl aspirations every year with Elway at the helm. We were lead to believe when Elway retired that Brian Griese would step in and be the next great Bronco quarterback and well that didn't happen. Even when we drafted Jay Cutler and it looked like our quarterback position might finally be filled he somewhat flopped. You just don't replace MVP type players especially quarterbacks easily. Now yes BB is a good coach and should still help keep his team half way competitive but there is a change in perspective that has to take place of your team. I agree Bronco fans are a little more prepared to handle what happens after a HOF quarterback retires compared to that of most Patriot fans. Do I expect Osweiler to step in and play decent...I have no clue. I will know this time around not to fall for all the hype surrounding the guy who follows a HOF quarterback. Just to sit back and watch and see what happens. I can hope he turns into a decent quarterback but the problem is no matter what he will never quite live up to what Manning could do on the field just like Griese could never live up to following Elway.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One factor worth considering regarding the Pats is will BB stick around once Brady retires? Right now there is nothing to say he won't, but Brady has another 3-4 years in him and BB is what, 61, 62 years old? He may be ready to call it a career too at that point.