• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Replacement for Ashley Palmer?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep my stance that if a guy can push for a starting job he is a keeper. One reason I was never a Palmer fan. He was good backup, I give him that. Never going to get better than the guy in front of him.
Whitehead and Van Hoy battling for a position will make both players better and the starter knowing a guy is on the bench ready to take my spot. Palmer never scared a starter of losing their spot IMO.
I view Copeland as a camp body and guy trying to get a 5th LB spot if they keep 5. Top four are set I believe. I am just glad the days of Palmer may be over. Hard to justify keeping a guy just for special teams reasons these days with the roster constraints on game day.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always thought the Lions over payed Palmer.

I hope Copeland the best but he is a FA combine participant for a reason. If he can make a contribution on special teams for what the Lions are paying him he is worth the pickup.

Going into the 2015 season I think the Lions are set at LB. Levy, Tulloch, Whiehead, and Van Noy.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes JD... I only see him competing for a spot against Bynes or Stanford. Like to see Lewis looking elsewhere for employment also.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how did we get a guy that half the league was coring after the veteran combine. We have nothing to offer free agents.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how did we get a guy that half the league was coring after the veteran combine. We have nothing to offer free agents.

Fives years ago I would have said any FA looking for a starting job figured Detroit to be a place to go. Nowadays at LB, not sure why this kid would try Detroit actually? That is one spot I like the depth at.
I do get the meaning of your post and quite funny to be honest. Just not sure the OP was referring to a FA of this caliber.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not a top flight guy, but he obviously brings something to the table that a lot of teams were interested in. These are the meat and potatoes of FA low dollar young guys that might be able to contribute. Big splashes are nice, but the perennail contenders are successful because of finding these type of FA signings and getting them to contribute.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I we keep 5 LBs? Most 4-3 teams keep at least 6. Our top 5 are locked-in with Levy, Tully, Whitehead, Van Noy, and Bynes.

This guy and any rookies or other guys we bring in will be competing for the 6th and 7th spots, primarily as special teams stalwarts...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not a top flight guy, but he obviously brings something to the table that a lot of teams were interested in. These are the meat and potatoes of FA low dollar young guys that might be able to contribute. Big splashes are nice, but the perennail contenders are successful because of finding these type of FA signings and getting them to contribute.

I do agree that it is a must to get bottom dollar guys to contribute. I would also love to see some more late round low pay kids contribute. Then this means the Lions are developing kids like Whitehead and Riddick. That is also a meat and potatoes way of winning. Constantly getting the George Johnson types to come in is great. I get it, but it also shows me that maybe the front office judged wrong on Taylor and Webster. That to me is not a good sign from our scouting dept.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I we keep 5 LBs? Most 4-3 teams keep at least 6. Our top 5 are locked-in with Levy, Tully, Whitehead, Van Noy, and Bynes.

This guy and any rookies or other guys we bring in will be competing for the 6th and 7th spots, primarily as special teams stalwarts...

Correct TP. That sixth guy is a STer at best. Maybe they develop this kid into something. Who knows?

I see his speed and athleticism as the key component teams saw as not much, if any film to gauge off of. It makes me question again the 3-4 4-3 debate. Might not see a switch, but I am seeing signs of more 3-4 principals involved in some of these transactions. Not to mention Bynes cut his teeth on a 3-4 team.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. I think he can be a perfect younger replacement for Palmer as the last LB with a lot of upside if he learns the game and a solid ST guy.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct TP. That sixth guy is a STer at best. Maybe they develop this kid into something. Who knows?

I see his speed and athleticism as the key component teams saw as not much, if any film to gauge off of. It makes me question again the 3-4 4-3 debate. Might not see a switch, but I am seeing signs of more 3-4 principals involved in some of these transactions. Not to mention Bynes cut his teeth on a 3-4 team.

Me too. It may not be our base, but we are going to have an amoeba look to us so teams wont know what we are hitting them with.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. It may not be our base, but we are going to have an amoeba look to us so teams wont know what we are hitting them with.

Only on this board would you have mention of a amoeba. Not even in the den either. That I could see.
What are the chances someone transforms their shape into Suh?

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the idea of multiple fronts. We toyed with it a little last year. If he can take anyone's spot it's a good signing. Here's to hoping he can take Palmer's spot and then push Lewis or Stanford of the team. I do really like Palmer as a 4th/5th linebacker because of his ability in the run game/goal line, but he is so bad at coverage. If we could combine him and Whitehead we would have the best linebackers in the league.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmer was replaced last year. He was just still on the team.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can be further replaced as in only be a special teamer. He was still on in run packages and the backup OLB.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ashlee Palmer is crying all over Twitter about not being signed yet lol

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had his chance to be something in the NFL. He just was not good enough IMO to be anything more than a ST contributor. Sorry to say he was talented enough but just too stupid unfortunately.